chibuagamau loop

mcstar

Day 1

We started Sunday morning from St Anne du Lac, a few inches of new snow. Went up 13 to Notawissi and asked directions to connect to Lepin road. Took the atv trail to Pensive, road is plowed for 8 miles past it. The trail from there to Clova was good. Stayed at the school house and this morning we wook up to a few more inches of snow, and no running water! Good thing we showered last night,Dominic came over and fixed it but we were on our way to breakfast! Could not get Wifi at all!

Day 2

Left Clova and it starts to drizzle and I'm thinking this is going to be a long day! Wiping the visor every few seconds, hard to see trail covered with fresh snow no one has been on it! Halfway to Balbuzzard it clears up and we get there 2hours later. Gas up at 2:50 a liter and off we go, about 6 miles down the trail there's a sharp turn and the trail goes up and the sled just sinks! I am on the trail but snow drifted and is waist deep. Now we have 4 sleds stuck, we try to forward, no way, we are there over an hour digging out and decide to turn sleds around and go back to Balbuzzard it's now 12:30 ,change (we are soaked) and decided to go back east but wife went and asked if maybe they knew if groomer was breaking trail and the owner said just go the short way down an atv trail(plowed rd) and drew us a map , it took us back onto 83 after the mountains. So I'm thinking if you gas up in Clova and take this trail you can make Saneterre or

levincourt without gassing up?. We take the local across to 386 to 83 making a few wrong turns and get to Qualty inn Val Dor at 6:30.....a long day. Artic cat dealer is next door for service tomorrow morning then a short ride to lebel sur quevillion tomorrow

Hi Mario, Gas at Balbuzzard 2.50 liter, that's about what I thought it would be, heading up that way Wednesday. The atv trail, how long did you stay on it?

42 km it is the #70 atv trail, the road is plowed by Bulbuzzard so check to see how it survives the mild temp! Which way are you going?

Hi Mario & Christine,

We are following your reports. Keep up the good work.

I remember quite a few years ago when 83 was rerouted. I think it may have been the year of the big fires out there. Balbuzzard was on a cul-de-sac then. The reroute was around, I think north of 83 and Balbuzzard and it was on an used road or maybe it was the VTT trail.

Anybody else remember that?

Jack & Sandi

Anybody else remember that?

Jack & Sandi

yes I do remember TQ 83 was rerouted to the north, maybe 10 years ago. We used the plowed road until near Forsythe.Narrow trail and not groomed. I think it was due to a non secured bridge or loggers in the trail.

Day 1

We started Sunday morning from St Anne du Lac, a few inches of new snow. Went up 13 to Notawissi and asked directions to connect to Lepin road. Took the atv trail to Pensive, road is plowed for 8 miles past it. The trail from there to Clova was good. Stayed at the school house and this morning we wook up to a few more inches of snow, and no running water! Good thing we showered last night,Dominic came over and fixed it but we were on our way to breakfast! Could not get Wifi at all!

Day 2

Left Clova and it starts to drizzle and I'm thinking this is going to be a long day! Wiping the visor every few seconds, hard to see trail covered with fresh snow no one has been on it! Halfway to Balbuzzard it clears up and we get there 2hours later. Gas up at 2:50 a liter and off we go, about 6 miles down the trail there's a sharp turn and the trail goes up and the sled just sinks! I am on the trail but snow drifted and is waist deep. Now we have 4 sleds stuck, we try to forward, no way, we are there over an hour digging out and decide to turn sleds around and go back to Balbuzzard it's now 12:30 ,change (we are soaked) and decided to go back east but wife went and asked if maybe they knew if groomer was breaking trail and the owner said just go the short way down an atv trail(plowed rd) and drew us a map , it took us back onto 83 after the mountains. So I'm thinking if you gas up in Clova and take this trail you can make Saneterre or

levincourt without gassing up?. We take the local across to 386 to 83 making a few wrong turns and get to Qualty inn Val Dor at 6:30.....a long day. Artic cat dealer is next door for service tomorrow morning then a short ride to lebel sur quevillion tomorrow

I'd like to hear more about that shortcut Mario....I like hearing about shortcuts

Can u give detailed directions leaving Balbuzzard?

What was the mileage from Balbuzzard to Louvicourt via the shortcut?

Have a nice trip you two.

JG

I'd like to hear more about that shortcut Mario....I like hearing about shortcuts

Can u give detailed directions leaving Balbuzzard?

What was the mileage from Balbuzzard to Louvicourt via the shortcut?

Have a nice trip you two.

JG

JG not sure what the mileage was but coming from Clova on 83 you come to a plowed rd and Balbuzzard sign says 1 km on the right. The plowed rd is straight ahead for 40-42 miles then connects back on 83 and 70 junction. If you go to Balbuzzard (about 2 2miles) the 83 continue's there going the other way .

Hi Mario, I will be coming from Senneterre and staying at Balbuzard.

when on 83 east you come to a stop sign a little after Forsythe, you merge onto a road and 100 feet ahead the road goes right 83 sign is straight ahead 70 sign atv is to right, there is a small sign that says Balbuzzard pointing that way so it is marked on that end for the atv,s, that rd will go straight to their driveway. 2 miles before arriving you will see sign Ballbuzzard 1km pointing to left and straight ahead is 83 to Clova. If you zoom in on viaexplora you will see the road and can follow it. It seems like not a lot shorter mileage wise but much more faster due to that section of 83 is thru the mountains and winding.

E

Day 3

We left Val Dor 11:30 went up 313, was supposed to connect at 93 but I turned onto a local trail that took me to 83! We took 83 all the way to Lebel Quevillon, trails have not been groomed in days, thankfully they are straight runs so they survive somewhat. Got here 4:30 and it is now raining so we are not sure what will happen tomorrow, does not look good!

Day 3

We left Val Dor 11:30 went up 313, was supposed to connect at 93 but I turned onto a local trail that took me to 83! We took 83 all the way to Lebel Quevillon, trails have not been groomed in days, thankfully they are straight runs so they survive somewhat. Got here 4:30 and it is now raining so we are not sure what will happen tomorrow, does not look good

Thank you Mario. Good luck on your remaining trip, thanks again for the info.

Day 4

Woke up to pouring rain in Quevllion, it stopped around 9 so we decided to pack up and leave. We left around 10 expecting bad trails from the rain but 93 held up pretty good! All the way to Miqeillon it was foggy then cleared,trails got better as we got closer to Chapais. Had lunch at the clubhouse then continued onto Chibuogamau arriving at the Nordic at 3:45 all in all a good ride with trails at a 8 rating, for a while I was getting bored of those straight away's! We only encountered 1 sled all day in 168 miles. Only 4 other sleds here tonight. Tomorrow we head down to Roberval.

The trail east of Balbuzzard is absolutely frightening.Between the lack of traffic and not alot of trail signs,if you ever got in there when it was snowing and blowing and god forbid night,you'd really be screwed.

East to Clova ? I'm thinking going west through the burnt out area is worse

Yes ,that area is scary with the snow drifts that is why I liked the atv trail that bypasses that section. When we were at the Chapis clubhouse the lady said that a gentleman from NY broke down on 93 and was stranded for 5 hours, he was riding solo, said the guy was scared to death when they found him. Dont know why he was riding alone without a satellite phone!

GPS GPS GPS GUYS!!!!!! I never leave home without it. Has saved my butt a few times in a fresh snow or wind blown/drifted trails esp. at those unmarked intersections where sled tracks go two diff. ways???

GPS GPS GPS GUYS!!!!!! I never leave home without it. Has saved my butt a few times in a fresh snow or wind blown/drifted trails esp. at those unmarked intersections where sled tracks go two diff. ways???

I agree 100%. I have been using a GPS for many years now, and would not go without it. When you look at the price of sledding in Quebec, sled, permit, trucking there and back home, motel, meals, cocktails........a $500 GPS unit to help when it is storming or the lack of signs is a small price to pay

The trail east of Balbuzzard is absolutely frightening.Between the lack of traffic and not alot of trail signs,if you ever got in there when it was snowing and blowing and god forbid night,you'd really be screwed.

Know exactly which area you are talking of. It sucks.