Twin Peak Power Tour - Val-d'or, Matagami, Chibougamou, lac-saint Jean, Saint-Michel-des-saints, Mont-Laurier

Carman80

Looking for advice for best places to stay, best places for to gas up and eat luch, best places for dinner and any must see look outs and picturesque scenery.

Than plan is to leave Toronto around 3, make it to Le Forestel for 10:30pm.

Day 1 is VAL D'OR to MATAGAMI for lunch then to LEBEL-SUR-QUÉVILLON for the night. ***ANY RECOMENDATIONS ON HOTEL AND BEST PLACE FOR DINNER***

Day 2 LEBEL-SUR-QUÉVILLON to CHIBOUGAMAU for the night ***WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE FOR LUNCH AND FUEL? AND ANY RECOMENDATIONS ON HOTEL AND BEST PLACE FOR DINNER***

Day 3 CHIBOUGAMAU to MISTISSINI ***WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE FOR LUNCH AND FUEL?*** and then to LAC-SAINT-JEAN for the night. ***ANY RECOMENDATIONS ON HOTEL AND BEST PLACE FOR DINNER***

Day 4,5,6 LAC-SAINT-JEAN to ***THIS IS WHERE THINGS GET INTERESTING AND INPUT FROM PEOPLE THAT KNOW THE REGION WOULD BE A BIG HELP. WE ARE GOING TO HEAD SOUTH TO SAINT-MICHEL-DES-SAINT TO MONT-LAURIER AND THEN BACK TO VAL-D'OR. THE LARGE SECTION OF QUEBEC BETWEEN LAC-SAINT-JEAN AND VAL-D'OR AND NORTH OF SAIN-ZENON MOUNT-LAURIER REGIONS IS ALL NEW TO ME AND I AM NOT SURE ON WHERE TO STAY OR GET FUEL.***

Here is the planned route:

5884392636554_ScreenShot2017-01-21at11_5

The rest depends on how long you want your days to be. Day 1 looks like a good ride. But days 2 & 3 are both pretty short, so maybe run up to Mistissini & back and stay @ Hotel Nordic Chibougamau day 2?...

Day 2 LEBEL-SUR-QUÉVILLON to CHIBOUGAMAU for the night ***WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE FOR LUNCH AND FUEL? AND ANY RECOMENDATIONS ON HOTEL AND BEST PLACE FOR DINNER***

Day 3 CHIBOUGAMAU to MISTISSINI

Mistissini is an elusive run. Depends on when you go. Often times that trail is on the map but non-existent until late in season. Could be different this year. But many years we have tried and it was just not open. I have been there once however and unless they changed the trail the last run up and onto the lake there is very fast on a summer road. 

For your other Questions 

1.   i have never stayed in Lebel (gas and go for us) there is a Motel this one http://www.moteldulac.ca/.  Dinner not sure. Probably a pizze place or something there. 

2. Playhard is spot on. Your day 2 is short. Depending on what you are wanting to ride, trail from Lebel to Chapais is on an abandoned railbed and lets just say 100 miles goes by fast. But not so fast when it's-30c. There's gas in Demarisville I believe at a store there. Lunch would be Chapais i guess but then you are in Chiboug early afternoon. Me i would get to Chiboug then check to find out if Mistassini trail is really there. If so depending on time run it up, get gas then back to chiboug. Or there is a small local loop around chiboug to kill 45 minutes or 1 hr maybe. 

3. Day 3 run from Chiboug to say Hotel Roberval. That positions you for a run down 83 to 73 to La tuque for the night. Again i do not know what kind of KM you are wanting per day.  http://chateau-roberval.qc.ca/

4. Day 4   83 to 73 is a long day to La Tuqe compared to the railbed trail from lebel to chapais. Gas lunch at Relais 22 can't miss it 83 brings you right to gas pumps. Then 73 La Tuque and stay at https://www.hotelsmarineau.com/establishments/hotel-marineau-at-la-tuque/introduction or for a lodge experience with lodge prices http://www.clubodanak.com/

next day you are gonna need to go to St Michel de saints i guess. I will let the others give some of their ideas as well. 

9 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

The rest depends on how long you want your days to be. Day 1 looks like a good ride. But days 2 & 3 are both pretty short, so maybe run up to Mistissini & back and stay @ Hotel Nordic Chibougamau day 2?...

Day 3 CHIBOUGAMAU to MISTISSINI

Day 2 we are going to go to chabougamou for lunch then up to mistissini and back to chabougamou for the night.

We are trying to do 350-450km/ day over 6 days of riding for a total of 2,500km

Edited by Carman

8 hours ago, iceman said:

Mistissini is an elusive run. Depends on when you go. Often times that trail is on the map but non-existent until late in season. Could be different this year. But many years we have tried and it was just not open. I have been there once however and unless they changed the trail the last run up and onto the lake there is very fast on a summer road. 

For your other Questions 

1.   i have never stayed in Lebel (gas and go for us) there is a Motel this one http://www.moteldulac.ca/.  Dinner not sure. Probably a pizze place or something there. 

2. Playhard is spot on. Your day 2 is short. Depending on what you are wanting to ride, trail from Lebel to Chapais is on an abandoned railbed and lets just say 100 miles goes by fast. But not so fast when it's-30c. There's gas in Demarisville I believe at a store there. Lunch would be Chapais i guess but then you are in Chiboug early afternoon. Me i would get to Chiboug then check to find out if Mistassini trail is really there. If so depending on time run it up, get gas then back to chiboug. Or there is a small local loop around chiboug to kill 45 minutes or 1 hr maybe. 

3. Day 3 run from Chiboug to say Hotel Roberval. That positions you for a run down 83 to 73 to La tuque for the night. Again i do not know what kind of KM you are wanting per day.  http://chateau-roberval.qc.ca/

4. Day 4   83 to 73 is a long day to La Tuqe compared to the railbed trail from lebel to chapais. Gas lunch at Relais 22 can't miss it 83 brings you right to gas pumps. Then 73 La Tuque and stay at https://www.hotelsmarineau.com/establishments/hotel-marineau-at-la-tuque/introduction or for a lodge experience with lodge prices http://www.clubodanak.com/

next day you are gonna need to go to St Michel de saints i guess. I will let the others give some of their ideas as well. 

We have decided to do CHABOUGAMOU to RELAIS 22 MILLES day 3 staying to the West side of Lac-Saint-Jean and going through ROBERVAL. Day 4 going to SAINT-MICHEL-DES-SAINT via 73 S to 355 S to 360 W looping up local m20 trail(which is suppose to be AMAZING) and then staying at Auberge Lac Taureau. Day 5 to Mont-Laurier via 33 N to local trail 233 S to 13 S and staying at Rabaska Lodge. Day 6 check out Devils Mountain Local Trails and Lookouts then to VAL-D'OR via 322 W to 63 N to 386 N.

Good choice staying at Rabaska, food is good and owners are very nice and accommodating.  It's more rustic than Auberge Lac Taureau, but still a good place to stay.  When are you leaving?  As of today the trail across the Baskatong Reservoir is not open.   You can still do what you planned you just need to take local trails down to 13.  Rabaska to Val d'Or will be a long day.  It's been years since I did it but I only recall one gas stop through the park so do some research on this before you leave.  I ride out of Mont Laurier a lot, so I know that area, let me know if you any specific questions about that area.

2017-01-23 12_58_50-FCMQ Map 2016-17.png

On 1/22/2017 at 10:26 AM, iceman said:

For your other Questions 

1.   i have never stayed in Lebel (gas and go for us) there is a Motel this one http://www.moteldulac.ca/.  Dinner not sure. Probably a pizze place or 

There is a diner 'down the hill' from that hotel.  Can either access by road or the back way by trail to a side street. Don't recall the name, but their food was good and are open for breakfast at something like 6:30.

There is gas on 386 a few miles south of 63 and there is also gas in an Indian reservation up 386 before you get to 83. Be careful on 386 between the Indian Res and 83 as there are some bonefide sno cross jumps in the trail. They go for miles. They were not very well marked when we came through last year and figured they were tabletops so hit the first one at a decent speed. They have a sharp drop off on the other side. It was an O SH*T moment to say the least. It's like a trail I've never rode before. A trail like that down here in NY and they might as well just have the Helo parked off to the side waiting to transport. Go slow over them to get the feel for the first few and you'll be good. 

51 minutes ago, JBlavl said:

There is gas on 386 a few miles south of 63 and there is also gas in an Indian reservation up 386 before you get to 83. Be careful on 386 between the Indian Res and 83 as there are some bonefide sno cross jumps in the trail. They go for miles. They were not very well marked when we came through last year and figured they were tabletops so hit the first one at a decent speed. They have a sharp drop off on the other side. It was an O SH*T moment to say the least. It's like a trail I've never rode before. A trail like that down here in NY and they might as well just have the Helo parked off to the side waiting to transport. Go slow over them to get the feel for the first few and you'll be good. 

Thanks for the advice, 386 sounds like my kind of trail!

54 minutes ago, JBlavl said:

Ain't that the truth!!

1 hour ago, doubler said:

Good choice staying at Rabaska, food is good and owners are very nice and accommodating.  It's more rustic than Auberge Lac Taureau, but still a good place to stay.  When are you leaving?  As of today the trail across the Baskatong Reservoir is not open.   You can still do what you planned you just need to take local trails down to 13.  Rabaska to Val d'Or will be a long day.  It's been years since I did it but I only recall one gas stop through the park so do some research on this before you leave.  I ride out of Mont Laurier a lot, so I know that area, let me know if you any specific questions about that area.

2017-01-23 12_58_50-FCMQ Map 2016-17.png

We leave Val-d'or Sunday feb 19th, if all goes to plan we should be in mont-Laurier region Thursday 23rd night and heading back to Val-d'or Friday the 24th. We were going to ride south to devils mountain in the morning then south to 13. Any lookouts you would recommend for that morning in around devils mountain area?

Edited by Carman

Here's a map showing the two spots you will want to see after you leave the Rabaska Lodge in the Devils Mountain area

Waypoint #1. Chutes Du Windigo which is the water falls

Waypoint #2 Top of Devils Mountain with the lookout. There is a Resturaunt at the top. It's not always open, depends on the weather.

Both spots are close together, good signage once you turn off 322

image.jpg

29 minutes ago, Fuse6 said:

Here's a map showing the two spots you will want to see after you leave the Rabaska Lodge in the Devils Mountain area

Waypoint #1. Chutes Du Windigo which is the water falls

Waypoint #2 Top of Devils Mountain with the lookout. There is a Resturaunt at the top. It's not always open, depends on the weather.

Both spots are close together, good signage once you turn off 322

image.jpg

Thanks! Restaurant at the top? I will definitely check it out if open. 

16 hours ago, Carman said:

We leave Val-d'or Sunday feb 19th, if all goes to plan we should be in mont-Laurier region Thursday 23rd night and heading back to Val-d'or Friday the 24th. We were going to ride south to devils mountain in the morning then south to 13. Any lookouts you would recommend for that morning in around devils mountain area?

Fuse6 gave you two good points of interest.  The only other one I can think of is Chutes Ceasar, but it's about 5-10 miles out of your way (north of Rabaska).

Found this video but it's summer time.  There is always way more water flowing in the winter than what you see in this video.  Very powerful and noisy.

Lastly, the trail will cross an automobile bridge in Grand-Remous and there are nice falls/rapids below to look at.

Image result for chutes cesar

large18.jpg

Edited by doubler

2 hours ago, doubler said:

Fuse6 gave you two good points of interest.  The only other one I can think of is Chutes Ceasar, but it's about 5-10 miles out of your way (north of Rabaska).

Found this video but it's summer time.  There is always way more water flowing in the winter than what you see in this video.  Very powerful and noisy.

Lastly, the trail will cross an automobile bridge in Grand-Remous and there are nice falls/rapids below to look at.

Image result for chutes cesar

large18.jpg

Thanks for the info doubler. What trail is it on? We may go see it on our way into Rabaska.

2 hours ago, Carman said:

Thanks for the info doubler. What trail is it on? We may go see it on our way into Rabaska.

Somewhere in the red circle.  I think you are better off going on your way to Rabaska because that day won't be as long as your next day to Val d'Or.

2017-01-24 12_20_19-Snowmobile Trail Conditions - main regions linked by the Wood Runner Trail, Uppe.png

22 hours ago, JBlavl said:

Funny this topic came up because in this months edition of SnowTraxx magazine they talk about this trail and how you better pay close attention to the signage on 386 or you are going to have a hefty repair bill!

20 minutes ago, doubler said:

Somewhere in the red circle.  I think you are better off going on your way to Rabaska because that day won't be as long as your next day to Val d'Or.

2017-01-24 12_20_19-Snowmobile Trail Conditions - main regions linked by the Wood Runner Trail, Uppe.png

It is just north of Rabasak, we will definitely check it out on our way in.

3 minutes ago, JBlavl said:

Funny this topic came up because in this months edition of SnowTraxx magazine they talk about this trail and how you better pay close attention to the signage on 386 or you are going to have a hefty repair bill!

Do you have a link for the article, I can't find it?

Rode from Forestel to Matagamie Saturday signage coming into Saint Dominique for Matagamie was wrong ended up meeting up w/ a couple at the local diner that were heading back up to Matagamie so waited for them to finish there lunch and followed them.28k of snirt on power line trail where they are replacing poles.Thats snowmobiling.I would reccomend staying in Matagamie for the night.You are really pushing it to go further.

Edited by William Gaf Gaffney
add comment

28 minutes ago, William Gaf Gaffney said:

Rode from Forestel to Matagamie Saturday signage coming into Saint Dominique for Matagamie was wrong ended up meeting up w/ a couple at the local diner that were heading back up to Matagamie so waited for them to finish there lunch and followed them.28k of snirt on power line trail where they are replacing poles.Thats snowmobiling.I would reccomend staying in Matagamie for the night.You are really pushing it to go further.

Did you ride the west and east sides of 396? Hopefully they will have more snow by the time we ride it to help with the snirt. 

The snirt is where the highliners are changing poles.They will keep it plowed till they are done.It was passable.East side was pretty sweet.Signage wasnt the best.also stayed at Club Gatnaue or however it is spelled.Mark and Natalie are the best hosts.

Edited by William Gaf Gaffney
add lodging