GPS recommendation

schooter

I am not sure where Andyman got them, I believe it was a member of HCS that produced them.

Small correction as there are only QC trails available at this time. Steven has all the Topos and QC trails on his GPS and reference the power questions I believe you will find the majority of GPS require a minimum of 10v DC usually to a max of 32-35V DC. You can get the exact numbers from the Garmin owners manuals available online.

Andy

Small correction as there are only QC trails available at this time. Steven has all the Topos and QC trails on his GPS and reference the power questions I believe you will find the majority of GPS require a minimum of 10v DC usually to a max of 32-35V DC. You can get the exact numbers from the Garmin owners manuals available online.

Andy

Great! Nothing like a little conflicting info. to kick off the latest project! Anyone else use a GPS plugged into the heated visor jack. Just my luck, I've got the 12v outlet on my Tundra LT and the helmet visor heating jack on my Renegade 1000. The Renegade is what I expect to be doing the long distance cruising on so I was wonder ing whether I can get away with the visor jack.

Anyone? :help:

Dozer

Great! Nothing like a little conflicting info. to kick off the latest project! Anyone else use a GPS plugged into the heated visor jack. Just my luck, I've got the 12v outlet on my Tundra LT and the helmet visor heating jack on my Renegade 1000. The Renegade is what I expect to be doing the long distance cruising on so I was wonder ing whether I can get away with the visor jack.

Anyone? :help:

Dozer

If you already have the 12v cord for a Garmin, plug it in your truck and check the voltage at the end that goes to the GPS. I think you will find 5v. If it is, you need to use the 12v outlet on your sled. If its 12v at the end that goes to the GPS then you most certainly can use your visor jack. :wacko:

If you already have the 12v cord for a Garmin, plug it in your truck and check the voltage at the end that goes to the GPS. I think you will find 5v. If it is, you need to use the 12v outlet on your sled. If its 12v at the end that goes to the GPS then you most certainly can use your visor jack. :wacko:

I know my Garmion GPSV accepts between 8-35 volts so it's very flexible. It has the voltage regulator built in the unit. Some of the Garmins have it built in to the power adapter. Just check Garmin's site for the model you are interested in. The spec sheets are pretty good.

I would reccomend a unit with a built in electronic compass since it makes it difficult to use when you stop. This is a limit with my GPSV. It's not obvious which way is up. Color is a requirement too.

I have run the 76CSx for the last couple years. Great GPS for sledding. I bought a Rhino mount that clamps to the handlebars, it will swivel to any position. I haven't had good luck with the 12v connector that plugs into the 12v receptacle, I went through 3 of them last year alone. No matter how I ran the cord, must be the wind or vibration moving it around breaks the cable off right at the connector plug. Finally bought some lithium AA batteries ($$$$). They're good for at least 8 hours, and work just as well at -10 as room temperature.

Scott

• 1 month later...

What I finally purchased was the Nuvi 500, The Nuvi 500 does not come with Canada Road maps, I choose the Nuvi 500 because it come with topo maps of the US. So I purchased an extra SD chip to go with it(Canada Road). Still learning how to use the unit and to put in favorite points in without taking off my gloves. But in General worked Great. I used it last week while in Quebec down to -15F, The battery only worked ~ 2 hours while mounted on teh handle bars. I did use my 12v connection that work well to recharge the unit but the cord is not built for the temperature. The wire coming out of the plug broke, so in the future I plan to hardwire to another connection point.

Schooter

What I finally purchased was the Nuvi 500, The Nuvi 500 does not come with Canada Road maps, I choose the Nuvi 500 because it come with topo maps of the US. So I purchased an extra SD chip to go with it(Canada Road). Still learning how to use the unit and to put in favorite points in without taking off my gloves. But in General worked Great. I used it last week while in Quebec down to -15F, The battery only worked ~ 2 hours while mounted on teh handle bars. I did use my 12v connection that work well to recharge the unit but the cord is not built for the temperature. The wire coming out of the plug broke, so in the future I plan to hardwire to another connection point.

Schooter

Nice, Easy to Read!! Me Likey!

Does anyone know if i can download the quebec trail system from fcmq onto my garmin zumo 450? If so how do i do it? Thanks in advance.

I have the Quebec maps on my Zumo and have used them all last season and so far this year. They are the 'tits" for sure. They show up green and magenta for primary and secondaries and have the trail numbers overlayed on them.

I had a hell of a time getting the file and getting it loaded. Not sure how much help I could provide as a friend walked me through most of it way back when. I could see if I have the file somewhere. PM me your email and If I can find I will send.

Chris

I have the Quebec maps on my Zumo and have used them all last season and so far this year. They are the 'tits" for sure. They show up green and magenta for primary and secondaries and have the trail numbers overlayed on them.

I had a hell of a time getting the file and getting it loaded. Not sure how much help I could provide as a friend walked me through most of it way back when. I could see if I have the file somewhere. PM me your email and If I can find I will send.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I just sent you my e-mail. If you can help I owe you big time.