Live from Esterel, Mt Tremblent, St Donat

Brdgbldr85

** Started riding out of the Esterel hotel and headed north on trail 33/43 toward St Donat. Local clubs went out this last monday and groomed the trails flat after the rain and made a firm 25 cm thick solid base before the deep -25 f freeze came in. The trails today going to St donat were a 9 of ten. We got heavy snow all day til now, after noon time it gave 8 inches of snow on top. The trails are in great shape and the lakes are about 12 inches thick( always ride lakes at your own risk) so far. Temps are 5-8F and the entire area has a great base. Had to come back from St. donat after lunch, snow was too heavy to find trails to go on. Locals said all trails will be marked by the weekend. Trails are great and Hotel is secure and has great accomodations. Only 1 hour north of Montreal and 2 hours by trail south of the parc. Call Wanda for trail updates and local info at the hotel. Plan to ride the Parc Monday and will post a new update when we return.* Snow base in this area is only 8 inches short of the top of a white picket fence.****************

Ride safe and stay right, Happy Holidays to all!!! :good:

Update for Monday 12-22-08

Rode through the parc today from St. Donat on trail 33 north. Leaving St. Donat Lac Archambault was fast and smooth crossing the lake and well marked going into the Parc. All trails in the parc were a 9.5 of 10 and only passed 20 sleds all day. Groomers are going out tonight and smoothing out todays traffic. Temps are currently below Zero F and have froze over any slushy areas on the local lakes. Plan to ride from the Esterel hotel up to St Zenon tommorrow and will post again after our last day out. :good:

Update for Monday 12-22-08

Rode through the parc today from St. Donat on trail 33 north. Leaving St. Donat Lac Archambault was fast and smooth crossing the lake and well marked going into the Parc. All trails in the parc were a 9.5 of 10 and only passed 20 sleds all day. Groomers are going out tonight and smoothing out todays traffic. Temps are currently below Zero F and have froze over any slushy areas on the local lakes. Plan to ride from the Esterel hotel up to St Zenon tommorrow and will post again after our last day out. :good:

Good report! this has got to be a great time to be in Quebec,with most people preoccupied with the holidays i'm sure there is little traffic.Please let us know if there are any major reroutes or new trails in that region,heading up to St. Zenon last week of Jan. :yahoo:

We stayed at esteral early season last year and the signage was a disaster with all the lakes in the area. Great mid year area but early season could be a f story. Not a lot of local riders. New snow with no signs makes things extremely difficult if not very familiar with the area.

Just an fyi from someone with experience.

Great facility!

How are the COLLETT's woking? do I need to pbuy one prior to the Jan trip

Hate to rain on anybodys snow, but here we go again. Just spoke with a buddy of mine who just returned from St Michele. They stayed at LeCentral and had one of their snowmachines stolen. The thiefs stole it right out of the trailer and drove away. Big surprise, the police said that is 'very uncommon' there. Couple the thefts with the economy, and soon you will have zero Americans heading north of the border to ride.

• 3 weeks later...

quote name='Brdgbldr85' date='Dec 21 2008, 11:00 PM' post='6197']

** Started riding out of the Esterel hotel and headed north on trail 33/43 toward St Donat. Local clubs went out this last monday and groomed the trails flat after the rain and made a firm 25 cm thick solid base before the deep -25 f freeze came in. The trails today going to St donat were a 9 of ten. We got heavy snow all day til now, after noon time it gave 8 inches of snow on top. The trails are in great shape and the lakes are about 12 inches thick( always ride lakes at your own risk) so far. Temps are 5-8F and the entire area has a great base. Had to come back from St. donat after lunch, snow was too heavy to find trails to go on. Locals said all trails will be marked by the weekend. Trails are great and Hotel is secure and has great accomodations. Only 1 hour north of Montreal and 2 hours by trail south of the parc. Call Wanda for trail updates and local info at the hotel. Plan to ride the Parc Monday and will post a new update when we return.* Snow base in this area is only 8 inches short of the top of a white picket fence.****************

[

Checking how to add pictures.

quote name='Brdgbldr85' date='Dec 21 2008, 11:00 PM' post='6197']

Just looked at Esterel hotel web site. Looks like a nice place to stay. Its on my list now.

Esterel is a very nice place if a little dated. The service is excellent and the security is 2nd to none. Plus the trails are excellent in that area. It is a little on the pricey side tho.

How are they with leaving your trucks there and saddlebagging?

Huh? :wacko:

Sorry I'll use simpler English.

I'll bet the place was a palace in the 70s. Today it is old and dated and could use some remodeling and UPDATING.

I forgot to mention that RAMBO watches your stuff. And we parked our sleds out front where they can be seen by the front desk and they are secured with a fibre optic cable that is monitored by a panel at the front desk. You will feel very welcome at Esterel, lots of anglais spoken there. Wanda was very helpful including filling us in on the detours required to get there last year from the West, as we arrived well after dark - after skiing the afternoon session at Mt. Tremblant on a whim. The lounge area was rocking as we checked in, but quiet by the time we showered and come down for a drink.

I'll bet the place was a palace in the 70s. Today it is old and dated and could use some remodeling and UPDATING.

I forgot to mention that RAMBO watches your stuff. And we parked our sleds out front where they can be seen by the front desk and they are secured with a fibre optic cable that is monitored by a panel at the front desk. You will feel very welcome at Esterel, lots of anglais spoken there. Wanda was very helpful including filling us in on the detours required to get there last year from the West, as we arrived well after dark - after skiing the afternoon session at Mt. Tremblant on a whim. The lounge area was rocking as we checked in, but quiet by the time we showered and come down for a drink.

Great convenient place to park and stay or tour. Charged us 10 bucks a day to leave the truck........Great Deal.

The place may have been built in the 70s but its first class compared to the majority of places in Quebec. Similar to the HI in jonquier.

We had a great trip in December with great conditions. The club really did a nice job this year marking the trails and lakes with the early onset of winter.

Great convenient place to park and stay or tour. Charged us 10 bucks a day to leave the truck........Great Deal.

The place may have been built in the 70s but its first class compared to the majority of places in Quebec. Similar to the HI in jonquier.

We had a great trip in December with great conditions. The club really did a nice job this year marking the trails and lakes with the early onset of winter.

I just talked to Wanda at Esteral, she said there was no charge to leave the trucks there, I find that hard to beleive with the amount of security. We are thinking of leaving them there for our 5 day trip towards abitibi and then try to make it to the winter gathering at 100 Lacs.

I just talked to Wanda at Esteral, she said there was no charge to leave the trucks there, I find that hard to beleive with the amount of security. We are thinking of leaving them there for our 5 day trip towards abitibi and then try to make it to the winter gathering at 100 Lacs.

Not that hard to believe,I don't think i have ever paid to park my tow vehicle anywhere in Quebec.That would be poor business in my opinion.Most times we stay at that particular place for 1 night anyway,but if i owned a motel and had the room i would want as many trucks parked there as i could get.An example would be passing La Glacier on your way to St. Michele and seeing a ghost town there.It might make you think it's not a good place to stay,esp. if you got to you motel and it was packed. :pardon: