Mauricie: GrandMère/Latuque/Rivière à Pierre 21 january 2012

towing

Yesterday morning ,cloudy -22C, Krikri and I are starting our ride with our friend Snowcruiser near Champlain east of Trois-Rivières near St-Laurence river. Here’s the itinerary of our day in Iceman's playground:

plan.jpg

Although the degree was not so cold, humidity was probably pretty high because the cold was biting. The good side is that trails were really mint. We see that the snow accumulation near St-Laurence river is less but sufficient because the trail were beautiful and it rapidly increases as we go north.

DSC00513.jpg

We took the trail on the St-Maurice River in Grand-Mère…

DSC00516.jpg

It was a bit bumpy on the first miles and with the cloudy sky the visibility was not so good to clearly see the trail so we took it easy

DSC00528.jpg

As we rode trail got better, just a few sections of frozen slush time to time

DSC00530.jpg

And then the sun improving visibility we could open the throttle a bit more

DSC00536.jpg

We then continued on the #360 , very snowy and beautiful

DSC00551.jpg

At the #355 junction (to pipeline) we decided to go south a little to warm us in St. Joseph Mékinac

DSC00574.jpg

We fueled up and also had our dinner here ... thier pizza is excellent.

DSC00581.jpg

Then we came back our steps towards pipeline, a lot of snow here ...

DSC00565.jpg

Edited by towing

The scenery was beautiful, even more when the sun was willing to show up a bit

DSC00593.jpg

And we started the pipeline section, always fun to do ...It also now seems groomed a bit wider than on iceman's video

DSC00597.jpg

Shortly after the intersection for # 351, the path of the trail is plowed but still snowy

DSC00600.jpg

It ride well but the trail was plowed up to the railway bridge

DSC00603.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

We then continued on a very snowy trail and a little farther, took the second part of the pipeline. Apart from a few bumps in some big hills it was beautiful.

DSC00617.jpg

Then, just before arriving near Wayagamac Lake(before LaTuque) we took this little local trail that I had never done. It passes south of the lake to connect with the # 73 between the two lakes.

DSC00621.jpg

The trail passes on a summer road. It was not surfaced recently but was very beautiful without a single bump and with alots of fresh new snow not packed yet

DSC00626.jpg

So we ended up on the #73 we take it to the east.

DSC00641.jpg

Edited by towing

It was 10/10, beautiful and fast

DSC00643.jpg

DSC00667.jpg

up to Jeanotte shack ...

DSC00686.jpg

Continuing east, the conditions were just as snowy but the trail was a little more beat with some bumps in curves. The scenery was beautiful ...

DSC00698.jpg

A lot of snow in this area, it was funny to see the snow accumulated on the bridge sides ...

DSC00712.jpg

And we then stopped at the famous relay Marmitte for a good hot chocolate with good still warm cakes...

DSC00728.jpg

Then the sun was too low for the pics. We headed up to Rivière à Pierre for fueling and then we ride to our starting point via trails # 23, # 3 and # 351. The trails were nice even in spite of all traffic of the day, we even crossed a dozer working in the area of St-Marc des Carrières. With the night that was coming, the cold got stronger and we ended the trip at moderate speed with 228 miles on the dreammeter.

To conclude, a beautiful ride in very nice full winter conditions. It’s finally big winter, the actual trails conditions are very nice and the trail network is near 100% ready even in Lanaudière than Mauricie side.

I hope the thaw previewed on the forecasts at the beginning of the next week will not be too severe and will simply harden the trail base which could be a good thing... It’s something to watch especially for the south of our area…

keep our fingers crossed ...

DSC00722.jpg

:drinks:

Alain

Edited by towing

Thanks towing. My crew will be up there for four days first week of Feb.

Anybody know of any danseuses around the shawinigan area? Been to one but didn't know if there was another anywhere

Just jump in a cab ... The Cabby will know where to bring you.

Edited by dooright

There are 2, 1 exit apart, or so I have been told.

Thanks towing. My crew will be up there for four days first week of Feb.

Anybody know of any danseuses around the shawinigan area? Been to one but didn't know if there was another anywhere

I never frequent those types of establishments. he he :p