trail 83

182ray

Mike & I are considering returning to the Holiday Inn via trail 83.

Since neither one of us has ever traveled this trail we need some info.

What type of running is it? fast slow.

How about gas?

What towns have lodging? What's the lodging like?

We certainly would appreciate any info.

We would be traveling mid week.

Even with low snow conditions the riding has been great.

Thanks.

Ray

This would be trail 83 in the Clova/Parent area, going east from Ontario towards Lac St John. Looks like a long stretch through that area, wondering if it is fast riding and enough gas stops.

Mike

That's not a bad trail some sections better than others. Clova is a good place to stay the Tamarac is reopened. There are a couple places in Parent then east of there you can stay at Halteparche it is an outfitter then east of there you could stay at Windigo another outfitter or keep going to Relay 22 which is at the intersection of 83 and 73. I would not recommend staying at Wemotaci but do get gas there and then agin at relay 22. From there can make it to Roberval or at least St. Hedgewich. :drinks:

Last year I went from Val D'or to Clova via 83. It was 216 miles.

I stoped for lunch and fuel at Balbuzard Sauvage :good: (819) 737-8681 http://www.balbuzard.com/index.html .

I spent the night in Clova at Alberge Clova :good: 819-662-3327 http://www.clova.ca/ (or you could check out Hôtel Tamarac 819-662-3319)

The next day I went to Relais 22. It was 209 miles. 819 523-6222 http://www.relais22milles.com/

I stoped for gas in Parent and then again at Wemotaci.

I dont know what kind of milage you like to do in a day.

It is about 160 miles from Relais 22 to the HI

It is about 300 miles from Parent to the HI

It is about 585 miles from Val D'or to the HI

Hope this helps.

Hey Ray, I've stayed at Balbuzzard, Haltapache, and Relais 22. Balbuzzard is a very nice place. I heard Haltapache is not open any more. Relais 22 is another good place with a restaurant there. Whatever fits into your mileage the best.

You could also run down to Kanawata for the night. You would have to back track the next day, but it's one of the best trails in Quebec and another very nice place with food there. It's about 35 miles down from the Casey intersection on 83. Have a good trip.

Edited by favarcat

Hey Ray, I've stayed at Balbuzzard, Haltapache, and Relais 22. Balbuzzard is a very nice place. I heard Haltapache is not open any more. Relais 22 is another good place with a restaurant there. Whatever fits into your mileage the best.

You could also run down to Kanawata for the night. You would have to back track the next day, but it's one of the best trails in Quebec and another very nice place with food there. It's about 35 miles down from the Casey intersection on 83. Have a good trip.

Favarcat please don't give widespread info. on the honey hole trail (aka 369) from 83 down to Casey, Kanawata, Lac Chatauvert. :lol::rofl: Just kidding that is def. one of the best rides in Quebec :drinks:

Good One very funny Viper2

for sure is a great trail was there earlier this season and was 10/10 so sweet

for sure Kanawata is a great stop but call ahead for sure lots of French tourists there often book the rooms full in the lodge

Thanks guys tonight we're in Timmins went to the Abiti canyon today. Haven't seen Shania yet.

Bruce when u coming up? Ur really missing some good riding!

Ty

Good One very funny Viper2

for sure is a great trail was there earlier this season and was 10/10 so sweet

for sure Kanawata is a great stop but call ahead for sure lots of French tourists there often book the rooms full in the lodge

curvy trails today in Ontario slowed us down, then hit 93 in Quebec and great going.

Now in Noranda Royan (spelling???) at the Governor Hotel. Homeless person tried to hit us up for a night's stay while we were parking our sleds in the unsecure alley in the middle of downtown.

Yesterday we noticed our BRP emblems missing from our hoods of both sleds. Looking at our pictures on our cameras we know they were stolen in Mattagami.

Mike

Mike,

I don't know what town your in but I'm in Rouyn-Noranda at the LeNoranda.

Yeah we probably should have gave that homeless guy the $. We'll see tomorrow am.

As Mike said the trails today weren't that fast. Anyone traveling into Ontario on 93 be aware that the trail is ungroomed from the border to about Larder Lake.

Ray

Edited by 182ray

curvy trails today in Ontario slowed us down, then hit 93 in Quebec and great going.

Now in Noranda Royan (spelling???) at the Governor Hotel. Homeless person tried to hit us up for a night's stay while we were parking our sleds in the unsecure alley in the middle of downtown.

Yesterday we noticed our BRP emblems missing from our hoods of both sleds. Looking at our pictures on our cameras we know they were stolen in Mattagami.

Mike

Next time you are in Matagami, stay at the motel Matagami and go across the street to the Esso gas station, They will let you keep your sleds inside the heated garage for like $10 each. :drinks: Lots of native indian's there we witnessed one at the hotel restaurant trying to loan money from a waitress and she told us she never met him before. They were playing the video poker machines like they never saw them before. :wacko:

Ray and I are back at the Holiday Inn tonight after about 2,000 miles of a great saddlebag ride.

Thanks for all the trail info re Trail 83. We stayed at Balbuzzard and loved it, best gourmet meal in Quebec and the wine from France they served was tops.

The next night stayed at Chatuvert Lac outfitters after finding Kanawata was booked. Chaveuvert was great! Husband and wife were entertaining with great stories and could speak perfect English. Good food and a giant bottle of wine for $25. We had a great evening at the restaurantébar.

I am sure Ray at some point will ^post some pics. Thanks again for all the info.

Mike

Ray and I are back at the Holiday Inn tonight after about 2,000 miles of a great saddlebag ride.

Thanks for all the trail info re Trail 83. We stayed at Balbuzzard and loved it, best gourmet meal in Quebec and the wine from France they served was tops.

The next night stayed at Chatuvert Lac outfitters after finding Kanawata was booked. Chaveuvert was great! Husband and wife were entertaining with great stories and could speak perfect English. Good food and a giant bottle of wine for $25. We had a great evening at the restaurantébar.

I am sure Ray at some point will ^post some pics. Thanks again for all the info.

Mike

Sounds like yo had an excelllent trip! Kanawata does book up often, they get alot of tour groups. Chateauvert has really been upgraded the last couple years since thw new owners took over. I think the womans name is Diane and she came from Ontario. She worked at Repos for a couple years before taking ownership of Chateauvert. :drinks:

Is this place "Chateauvert" just south of Kanawata in the bush? If so, Phil1 and I stopped in there a few years ago on our way north to Clova. We ordered spaghetti for lunch, a little while later the wife came out with a serving platter full of about 2 pounds of pasta, heaping with home made meat sauce. She put the platter down on our table and went to the kitchen where I thought she was going to get two more empty plates to serve us family style. My first reaction was.....Christ that's a lot of food for TWO people! When she came back with the second huge plate I almost fell over! That was an incredible meal, we were shot after that! When we were ready to leave, we asked for the check, she said how does $7.00 sound? Phil and I looked at each other dumbfounded! We gave her $50 and still felt like we got away cheap! A really nice memory there, we named that trip the spaghetti loop. It was over 1300 miles in four days, made it to Clova that night, then all the way to chibougie the next day, Third day was from chibougie down to Lac Eduard.....pasta fueled!

Mike

Sounds like a great trip...How was the 83 coming across?

Is this place "Chateauvert" just south of Kanawata in the bush? If so, Phil1 and I stopped in there a few years ago on our way north to Clova. We ordered spaghetti for lunch, a little while later the wife came out with a serving platter full of about 2 pounds of pasta, heaping with home made meat sauce. She put the platter down on our table and went to the kitchen where I thought she was going to get two more empty plates to serve us family style. My first reaction was.....Christ that's a lot of food for TWO people! When she came back with the second huge plate I almost fell over! That was an incredible meal, we were shot after that! When we were ready to leave, we asked for the check, she said how does $7.00 sound? Phil and I looked at each other dumbfounded! We gave her $50 and still felt like we got away cheap! A really nice memory there, we named that trip the spaghetti loop. It was over 1300 miles in four days, made it to Clova that night, then all the way to chibougie the next day, Third day was from chibougie down to Lac Eduard.....pasta fueled!

Yes that's the place didn't catch the wife's name but the husband was Shawn.

Anyone have the correct name and possibly the phone # for a good place in Kanawata? How far is that from Repos?

Thanks

Kel

Kanawata is the name of the place. It is not a town, it is a lodge on Lac Manouane. The manager is Mario I will look tonight for a phone # and post back. Def. want to call ahead. Probably about 60 miles from Repos the way the trail runs this year.

Edited by viper2

Anyone have the correct name and possibly the phone # for a good place in Kanawata? How far is that from Repos?

Thanks

Kel

Here it is 1-819-666-2007 e-mail mario@kanawata.com Pourvoirie Kanawata is the correct name.