trip report

Mid Range

feb 11 Left Maniwaki to Parent.Took 13 north.Crossed thru Devil's mountain area so we could avoid mont-laurier and ferme-neuve due to low snow conditions.trails were good.few rocks here and there but it is something we were expecting.North of ste-anne duc lac things were improving we took the local trail thru jb scott which is the former 13.trail was in good shape.From JB scott thru Lunic it is the former TQ 33.25 miles of twisted trails.From 100 lacs to Parent,you have another long stretch of twisted trail til you're back on the old 13 next to Bazin river.I must say I am quite disapointed with this new route.You can't cruise as it is so twisted.Next time we go to Parent we will be going via Clova.We stayed at the Central in the cabins behind the hotel.Fair price for what you get.

feb 12.Parent to Roberval,TQ83 was in top shape.A bit pain in the butt in and out of wemontaci....lots of sleds at 22 relay.Man do I love those stretches in and out of Relay 22.

We took some time off in Roberval to enjoy some good times with relatives.People in Lac St-Jean are very friendly people and Party animals.We had a blast on saturday night upon the village on ice.

feb 15. We left Roberval to Chibougamau.temps was minus 5 with 2 inches on the ground.Took 373 til La Doré then TQ 93 north.Stopped at 54 sawmill for a quick lunch.Temp was getting milder.Got to Chibougamau it was plus 3 degrees with a mix of rain/snow falling.Not the best for good trail conditions but snow upthere is pretty good.Stayed at Hotel-Motel Nordik.

Feb 16.Left Chibougamau to Senneterre.Temp was minus 3.Trails were in good shape til Chapais.We fueled up in Chapais before hitting the railroad bed.Plenty of snow in those areas.There was about an inch of fresh snow upon the railroad bed near Chapais but a bit more as we were riding toward Lebel-sur-Quévillon with up to 4 inches of fresh snow near Miquelon.Temp was mild so sleds were pulling.There was no way this time to miss the gas station in Miquelon.After fueling up in Miquelon,We stopped in Quévillon for lunch.Prior to Quévillon,TQ 93 was 7/10.Temp was too mild again.Snow was melting.Quévillon to Senneterre TQ 93 was 6/10.Not what we were expecting as Abitibi standards.Stayed at Motel Senabi.Nice place but no restaurant attached to it.Senneterre got 6 inches the day before.

Feb 17.Left Senneterre to La Sarre.Freshly groomed trail til Barraute then a bit rough near Amos with powder upon the trails.Temp was colder that day.Stayed at Motel Villa mon Repos.A very good place which I recommend to everybody.

Feb 18.Left La Sarre to Val d'Or.We backed track on the 93 til R307.Took307 til 83 near Rivière-Héva then to Val d'Or.It snowed all day again.Stayed at Forestel.They need to perform some renovation since we could feel the cold from door and windows.Had to ask the handyman to put some corking around the window.I do think their room fares are overpriced.

Overall Abitibi has not tons of snow but I would say plenty of snow with the snowfall they had last week.We couldn't find those freshly groomed and hard pack trails what Abitibi can offer you since it was snowing everyday and temps weren't cold enough.But still, trails were in very good shape.

Feb 19.It was our last day of riding and our longest one.260 miles down to Maniwaki.Left Forestel with another 2 inches of fresh snow upon the trail.Temp was minus 7.Headed to Louvicourt.83 was in top shape and it is quite a fast trail.Fueled up in Louvicourt before hitting R 386.Met the groomer out in Louvicourt so 386 was freshly groomed til Kitsisakik Indian Reserve.Fueled up in kitsisakik .386 til TQ63 thru Lavérendrye Park was in top shape and a fast trail although there was about 4 inches of fresh snow upon it.Took TQ 63 towards Le Domaine.Trail was in good shape but quite twisted in some parts and due to mild weather curves were beaten.

About 30 miles from Le Domaine.The most fear for any snowmobilers happened.One of our guys had issues with his chaincase.Checked his dipstick and it didn’t look to good.big chunked of metal.We had no choice.He had to keep going until Le Domaine cause if we had to haul him we would had runned out of gas.Luckily he has been able to get to Le Domaine but he barely made it.Phoned the dealer in Maniwaki to pick him up.So the rest of us kept going til Classic.TQ 63 was in good shape.From Classic til Grand-Remous,322 was in bad shape and snow is thin.From 13/63 and 322 jct towards Maniwaki.Trail was fairly in good shape considering the snow amount.Groomers are doing a good job with what they have.

we logged in 1435 miles.

feb 11 Left Maniwaki to Parent.Took 13 north.Crossed thru Devil's mountain area so we could avoid mont-laurier and ferme-neuve due to low snow conditions.trails were good.few rocks here and there but it is something we were expecting.North of ste-anne duc lac things were improving we took the local trail thru jb scott which is the former 13.trail was in good shape.From JB scott thru Lunic it is the former TQ 33.25 miles of twisted trails.From 100 lacs to Parent,you have another long stretch of twisted trail til you're back on the old 13 next to Bazin river.I must say I am quite disapointed with this new route.You can't cruise as it is so twisted.Next time we go to Parent we will be going via Clova.We stayed at the Central in the cabins behind the hotel.Fair price for what you get.

feb 12.Parent to Roberval,TQ83 was in top shape.A bit pain in the butt in and out of wemontaci....lots of sleds at 22 relay.Man do I love those stretches in and out of Relay 22.

We took some time off in Roberval to enjoy some good times with relatives.People in Lac St-Jean are very friendly people and Party animals.We had a blast on saturday night upon the village on ice.

feb 15. We left Roberval to Chibougamau.temps was minus 5 with 2 inches on the ground.Took 373 til La Doré then TQ 93 north.Stopped at 54 sawmill for a quick lunch.Temp was getting milder.Got to Chibougamau it was plus 3 degrees with a mix of rain/snow falling.Not the best for good trail conditions but snow upthere is pretty good.Stayed at Hotel-Motel Nordik.

Feb 16.Left Chibougamau to Senneterre.Temp was minus 3.Trails were in good shape til Chapais.We fueled up in Chapais before hitting the railroad bed.Plenty of snow in those areas.There was about an inch of fresh snow upon the railroad bed near Chapais but a bit more as we were riding toward Lebel-sur-Quévillon with up to 4 inches of fresh snow near Miquelon.Temp was mild so sleds were pulling.There was no way this time to miss the gas station in Miquelon.After fueling up in Miquelon,We stopped in Quévillon for lunch.Prior to Quévillon,TQ 93 was 7/10.Temp was too mild again.Snow was melting.Quévillon to Senneterre TQ 93 was 6/10.Not what we were expecting as Abitibi standards.Stayed at Motel Senabi.Nice place but no restaurant attached to it.Senneterre got 6 inches the day before.

Feb 17.Left Senneterre to La Sarre.Freshly groomed trail til Barraute then a bit rough near Amos with powder upon the trails.Temp was colder that day.Stayed at Motel Villa mon Repos.A very good place which I recommend to everybody.

Feb 18.Left La Sarre to Val d'Or.We backed track on the 93 til R307.Took307 til 83 near Rivière-Héva then to Val d'Or.It snowed all day again.Stayed at Forestel.They need to perform some renovation since we could feel the cold from door and windows.Had to ask the handyman to put some corking around the window.I do think their room fares are overpriced.

Overall Abitibi has not tons of snow but I would say plenty of snow with the snowfall they had last week.We couldn't find those freshly groomed and hard pack trails what Abitibi can offer you since it was snowing everyday and temps weren't cold enough.But still, trails were in very good shape.

Feb 19.It was our last day of riding and our longest one.260 miles down to Maniwaki.Left Forestel with another 2 inches of fresh snow upon the trail.Temp was minus 7.Headed to Louvicourt.83 was in top shape and it is quite a fast trail.Fueled up in Louvicourt before hitting R 386.Met the groomer out in Louvicourt so 386 was freshly groomed til Kitsisakik Indian Reserve.Fueled up in kitsisakik .386 til TQ63 thru Lavérendrye Park was in top shape and a fast trail although there was about 4 inches of fresh snow upon it.Took TQ 63 towards Le Domaine.Trail was in good shape but quite twisted in some parts and due to mild weather curves were beaten.

About 30 miles from Le Domaine.The most fear for any snowmobilers happened.One of our guys had issues with his chaincase.Checked his dipstick and it didn’t look to good.big chunked of metal.We had no choice.He had to keep going until Le Domaine cause if we had to haul him we would had runned out of gas.Luckily he has been able to get to Le Domaine but he barely made it.Phoned the dealer in Maniwaki to pick him up.So the rest of us kept going til Classic.TQ 63 was in good shape.From Classic til Grand-Remous,322 was in bad shape and snow is thin.From 13/63 and 322 jct towards Maniwaki.Trail was fairly in good shape considering the snow amount.Groomers are doing a good job with what they have.

we logged in 1435 miles.

Thanks for the report Mid Range :good: Sounds like you had a good trip despite the warm temps. Looks like much of the same for this week. We will be leaving Tuesday morning from St. Zenon and either going to Lac St. Jean, Abitibi, or a combination of the 2. :drinks:

Thanks for the report Mid Range :good: Sounds like you had a good trip despite the warm temps. Looks like much of the same for this week. We will be leaving Tuesday morning from St. Zenon and either going to Lac St. Jean, Abitibi, or a combination of the 2. :drinks:

Have a safe trip.It looks mild on either side but there is no lack of snow up there.At least Abitibi.Roberval has good snow conditions but we only rode western side of the big pond.

Nice detailed report Mid Range :good:

looks like you did a superb ride, I dream to be able to do a ride like that ... maybe in few years when the kids get olders...

Thanks for sharing and make me dream :D

Alain

Alain where you and your wife riding westbound about 9am Sat the 13th on I believe it was TQ43 west of La Glacier? I think I passed you as I recognized your sled and your wife from your pics?

Andy

Alain where you and your wife riding westbound about 9am Sat the 13th on I believe it was TQ43 west of La Glacier? I think I passed you as I recognized your sled and your wife from your pics?

Andy

Maybe you mean the #63 or the #33 west from the Glaciere... I think it was us because we leave the Glaciere around 8:30 on the #63 trail and joined our friends at Rouge-Mattawin on #33 trail at around 9:20. Maybe we will have the chance to shake our hands the next time...

:drinks:

Alain

Maybe you mean the #63 or the #33 west from the Glaciere... I think it was us because we leave the Glaciere around 8:30 on the #63 trail and joined our friends at Rouge-Mattawin on #33 trail at around 9:20. Maybe we will have the chance to shake our hands the next time...

:drinks:

Alain

Hi Alain

I was just guessing on the trail number as I didn't have a map in front of me. I checked and yes it was the 63 west of Glaciere. 2600 miles and a few Coors lites make the trail numbers all blend together. LOL

Andy

Midrange....

Are there not two trails leading up to Parent?

I found this local map that shows two different ways from JB Scott to Parent.

http://www.woodrunnertrail.ca/PDF/oursblanc2010.pdf

Thanks.

Midrange....

Are there not two trails leading up to Parent?

I found this local map that shows two different ways from JB Scott to Parent.

http://www.woodrunnertrail.ca/PDF/oursblanc2010.pdf

Thanks.

This map is not accurate.Once you get to JB Scott,The old 13 going north thru Fer à cheval is closed this year.You must go thru Pourvoirie 100 lacs.

From Ste-Anne du lac.If you go via notawissi add 110 kms.If you cut across thru JB Scott(which is the former 13 route) add 50 kms.

Personally...I won't ride this new 13 again if it stays that way.The old route was much better.Too twisted,specially from JB scott to Lunic (former 33) and passed 100 lacs.Not my type of trail.

Edited by Mid Range

was nice riding with you again Mid Range....

post-92-1266894351_thumb.jpg

Thanks Brother for this wonderful trip.I really think we made the appropriate choice by changing our itinary.Let me know what happened with your chaincase.We came very close to get in deep trouble.

I will post pictures once I get the chance.....