Anyone looking into planning trips yet?

slimjim2525

After 2 crap seasons back to back I'm getting the itch.  Winter of 2022 had more sled issues than ever before.  Blown shocks, water in vacuum line, and finally blew out the oil tank gasket from a frozen roll over valve which ruined a trip.  2023 missed the entire trip with my crew cuz started getting chest pains in December which led to a cardiac cath and stent on the day I was supposed to head to Quebec.  Was able to salvage a few days up there though.  Now I'm looking at the map and dreaming of when I can get back up there.  I remember last year they were suggesting to book real early as places were getting booked quickly.  When do you normally start to plan your trips?

Edited by slimjim2525

Never seem to stop dreaming.  Could be wrong, but I think we are going to see a more normal season this year as far as things being stupid busy.  Life happens, but I find I just have to make the time to get the rides in.  Am becoming a big fan of going mid week to avoid the rush.

I’m starting to look at the map here and there now.  At this point undecided. Go west? Would like to see if 63 reopens where it has been closed for logging the past two years.  Head north?  Would like to see if there will be gas again between Chibougamau and LaDore or get the group (6) to agree to carry gas.  Current saddlebag configurations on all but my sled won’t accommodate a linq gas caddy. Head east to Lac Saint Jean area?  Really like the area north of the lake.  Wouldn’t mind a couple day’s riding loops before moving on. 
Since we are 6 guys and sometimes 7, we make reservations for an early February trip usually by end of November. 

Have never carried gas before last winter.  No choice, we were running the stretch you mentioned between Chibugamau and La Dore with the sawmill closed.  I bungy corded two 5L gas cans to the running boards, one on each side.  I don't like hauling gas but if you want to do that trail you have to or have a buddy with a big can.  I have always liked the Northern Loop, my sled buddies both said it was boring.  That said, the 373 north of the river is a spectacular trail too.  

GSX I hear ya.  Trying to see if 63 west of Mont Laurier is gonna open but that may take a while to find out, then it's late booking.  The crew I normally run with but missed the trip, went to Chibougamau, and actually one guy on a sidewinder made it between gas stops as well as a doo 900 turbo.  It can be done but obviously conditions need to be right.  They all carried gas though.

Yes it's time to plan. We are starting on the west side and going north on 95 then south to La Dore and then west to Mont Laurie and find  away back to the truck.  Sounds easy.  Lol.

About Mont Laurier - if you like to stay at the Comfort Inn.  We like to start there as it is an easy drive for us.  Last winter I was told that on the weekends there was a minimum two night stay.  The woman I spoke with said they weren’t happy about it, but that is what the new management wanted.  So avoid a weekend night if you are passing through or starting there.

• 2 weeks later...

My group is hoping to do Chibougamau tour this coming season as well ( first time ) but Im wondering if that will even be possible with all the wild fires up in that area last couple months and still burning , tens of thousands of hectares burnt up already . I’m curious to know how much this could affect the clubs up in that area ?