High mileage maintenance

doobraap

Here is a question for all the high mileage riders....

I have a 2 season old 05 600SDI SkiDoo with 6500 miles on it. I have been selling and buying new each year for the past 4 years so long term maintenance is new for me. With a new baby and the wife not working a new sled looks like it's just not going to happen this year.

Besides the usual which I have done already, clean clutches, chain case oil, greas fittings etc... should I consider doing anything else? Top end?

I plan on riding about 4000 miles this winter and prefer not to have to pay a dealer in PQ $2K to get me back on the trail.. Other than a clogged fuel injector, which fixed itself 2000 miles ago the sled has never hicuped. so the history is good.

BTW The compression still reads pretty good. Close to 140psi on each cylinder. New was 145ish....

I think if you check with dealer or mechanic you will find most 2-stroke engines should have the topends rebuilt every 5000 miles. To purchase new pistons, rings, and gaskets right now would likey cost in the neighbourhood of $400. After they grenade it is closer to $2000.00. I rebuilt the topend of mine last year with the help of a friend who is a sled mechanic. I paid him cash for working in my garage and the whole thing cost less than $550. When we got it tore down he said it was in good shape and didn't really need it done (thanks to Amsoil Interceptor), however I did it and never worried about it once all winter. Piece of mind is worth a lot when you are on a multiday trip with friends far from home.

My $0.02 Worth

I think if you check with dealer or mechanic you will find most 2-stroke engines should have the topends rebuilt every 5000 miles. To purchase new pistons, rings, and gaskets right now would likey cost in the neighbourhood of $400. After they grenade it is closer to $2000.00. I rebuilt the topend of mine last year with the help of a friend who is a sled mechanic. I paid him cash for working in my garage and the whole thing cost less than $550. When we got it tore down he said it was in good shape and didn't really need it done (thanks to Amsoil Interceptor), however I did it and never worried about it once all winter. Piece of mind is worth a lot when you are on a multiday trip with friends far from home.

My $0.02 Worth

Thanks, your $.002 is worth a little more now on our side of the border!! Other than replace the pistons/rings what else did you do? Have the cylinders checked/honed or just replace with stock parts?

My two riding partners have 800HO SkiDoos with 9500 and 7500 miles on them without any work, and not planning to do any, so I may be spending time at the dealer regardless :wacko:

Rob, how far after your first rebuild on your 05SDI did you go? That burned down at 5500mi right??

doo...I ride an 05 600 SDI MXZ X...I had my head in the sand until 70 miles into a 6 day trip the main bearing on Mag side let go. Well a rebuilt crank, two pistons, rings & welded cases later I was back on the snow. Bill hooked me up with a guy (Real Moral, or something like that) that did it for about $1,300 american and did it in one day, Thanks Bill.

Ski Doo recommends rebuild every 300 hours. I had almost exactly 300 hours and a little over 7,000 miles when it S T B... Mine also ran like a clock without missing a beat till it quit. I ride real hard so you might get more mileage depending on how you ride.

I think the new sled every 2 years is the ticket...

For what it is worth...

Phil

i have 5000 on mine(98 hours 38 minutes on the motor when I checked yesterday) and am planning on doing just normal preventative to it. I don't beat on my sled and run it WOT for miles at a time so I'm taking the basic precautions and moving forward. I'm actually still warrantied on it but the last thing I want to do is breakdown out in the sticks of Quebec this year. Just greased it, canaged the chaincase oil, cleaned the clutches, waiting for a new wheel for the ski and a replacement handguard bracket and I'll be good to go.

Here is a question for all the high mileage riders....I have a 2 season old 05 600SDI SkiDoo with 6500 miles on it. I have been selling and buying new each year for the past 4 years so long term maintenance is new for me. With a new baby and the wife not working a new sled looks like it's just not going to happen this year. Besides the usual which I have done already, clean clutches, chain case oil, greas fittings etc... should I consider doing anything else? Top end?I plan on riding about 4000 miles this winter and prefer not to have to pay a dealer in PQ $2K to get me back on the trail.. Other than a clogged fuel injector, which fixed itself 2000 miles ago the sled has never hicuped. so the history is good.BTW The compression still reads pretty good. Close to 140psi on each cylinder. New was 145ish....
I had a 2005 GSX 600 SDI that I rode 2 seasons with a combined mileage of 11393 miles or 18331 km. I ran the Doo synthetic blend oil and with the exception of a 20 amp fuse and slides and a belt I had virtually no problems with this sled. Like Steven said you can replace the top end as a precaution but with this sled I had the second year engine warranty and Doo won't go near the engine until there is a problem. So I figured if they won't go near the engine then neither will I until I have a problem. Like yourself I don't feel like being stranded on a multi day trip and be at the mercy of a dealer 1000 miles from home but at the same time I don't feel like spending my cash to rebuild an engine that the dealer says is fine go ride it. So we went riding. My present sled has one season on it and last years total was 6679 miles or 10753km. This SDI has performed pretty well identical to my first one with the exception it is easier on oil. I have the second year engine warranty on this one as well so I find myself in the same position as the last sled. Do I tear it down at my expense or go riding . My compression is in the 145 range basically the same as when the sled was new. My plan is to do normal maintenance and go riding and if a problem occurs then deal with it.AndyAndy
I had a 2005 GSX 600 SDI that I rode 2 seasons with a combined mileage of 11393 miles or 18331 km. I ran the Doo synthetic blend oil and with the exception of a 20 amp fuse and slides and a belt I had virtually no problems with this sled. Like Steven said you can replace the top end as a precaution but with this sled I had the second year engine warranty and Doo won't go near the engine until there is a problem. So I figured if they won't go near the engine then neither will I until I have a problem. Like yourself I don't feel like being stranded on a multi day trip and be at the mercy of a dealer 1000 miles from home but at the same time I don't feel like spending my cash to rebuild an engine that the dealer says is fine go ride it. So we went riding. My present sled has one season on it and last years total was 6679 miles or 10753km. This SDI has performed pretty well identical to my first one with the exception it is easier on oil. I have the second year engine warranty on this one as well so I find myself in the same position as the last sled. Do I tear it down at my expense or go riding . My compression is in the 145 range basically the same as when the sled was new. My plan is to do normal maintenance and go riding and if a problem occurs then deal with it.AndyAndy
One thing I forgot one handwarmer caught on fire and the other one quit. Both replaced under warranty.

i have 5000 on mine(98 hours 38 minutes on the motor when I checked yesterday) and am planning on doing just normal preventative to it. I don't beat on my sled and run it WOT for miles at a time so I'm taking the basic precautions and moving forward. I'm actually still warrantied on it but the last thing I want to do is breakdown out in the sticks of Quebec this year. Just greased it, canaged the chaincase oil, cleaned the clutches, waiting for a new wheel for the ski and a replacement handguard bracket and I'll be good to go.

Legend, Are you sure it's not 198 Hrs? That's a pretty fast average at 98 Hrs.

I am not that hard on it either but I did give it a good run last year when the injector stuck open. It would only run right at full throttle. I was so frustrated I think I kept it WOT from Sacre Coer to the Chappell. When I stopped it was fixed :)

Chris,

I think it is one of those "you're damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of things. I would check the usual suspects (oil/grease behind drive clutch, leaking intake boots, etc). Changing pistons/rings is not going to do anything to prevent spinning a crank bearing, etc. It's a coin toss. I wish the Yamaha Nitro's were 100 lbs lighter. Until they make a light 4 stroke, we're going to have to put up with the lack of reliability of the 2 stroke engine. I have an '05 500SS with 5,000 miles on it that will be traded in at the end of the season (I usually average ~2k miles/season). I cleaned the power valves, checked the intake boots and checked for grease behind the drive clutch and I'm going to run it as is. If it grenades, hopefully it will happen close to the truck!!

Good luck.

Karl

Rob, how far after your first rebuild on your 05SDI did you go? That burned down at 5500mi right??

Yes, I burned down at 5300mi, and then went through the next season and did a precautionary rebuild at 20,300mi. Dealer said bearings were dry as a bone and wouldn't have went much further, but still that's pretty good.

I am not that hard on it either but I did give it a good run last year when the injector stuck open. It would only run right at full throttle. I was so frustrated I think I kept it WOT from Sacre Coer to the Chappell. When I stopped it was fixed :)

I had that happen last winter, but it never fixed. Had to have an injector replaced. Dealer said it was the first one he ever had to replace.

Other thoughts here:

I replaced both tunnel shocks (they were toast) and changed most bearings at same time as a precaution. Had everything carefully went over by my dealer (Garneau) in case there was something I missed. I'll add that I've owned all brands over the years but never have put so many miles on with so few problems as I have with ski-doo. On real high mile sleds the suspensions worry me as much as the drive train. Make sure that all steering and suspension components are intact. Other than that just ride it, they last a lot longer than most people think (if you keep them on snow).

I guess we'll find out in 2 hours if it rolls over 100 or if it's only 2 digits on the display. I was thinking 98 seemed a bit low(just about 50mph average) but 198 seems too high.

I am leaning toward just riding it this year and hoping for the best although I do wonder if the extra depreciation is better spent on buying a new sled now??

I think setting aside fund of $200/mo starting now will take the sting out of a repair or purchase along the way.....

I guess we'll find out in 2 hours if it rolls over 100 or if it's only 2 digits on the display. I was thinking 98 seemed a bit low(just about 50mph average) but 198 seems too high.

Figure 25mph average and you will be right on. 5000/25 = 200hrs.

You can also reset the hr meter by holding down the button so that could have happened along the way too....

I rebuild the top-end every year [~6k miles/year, 06-SDI renegade], and the usual maintainence mentioned above. I've also lost the rear shock at 7k miles, and a jackshaft bearing over 8k miles is a gamble. At 12k miles, I also went with a cudney clutch, 1.5" ripsaw track, replaced a broken hand warmer, and replaced a gear on the e-start.

I put 14,000 on my 05 GSX 500SS before a ring broke and then it was a $2,700 bill. I had 2nd year warranty so it only cost me $50. If any of you are in the Saguenay area and have a problem, not covered by warranty, get ahold of Real Morin at Blue Morin Sports 547-6943, cell is 540-0358. Real will treat you right. He will pickup and deliver your sled within reason of Lac Kenogami. As Phil1 has stated, he is an honest guy who will be more than fair with you. Oh yes, he also does work in the evenings. Couple of years ago a guy was on Bras Louis when his track started to come apart. We nursed it back to the Lac Joly campground and I called Real. He told us when we got to the HI, call him. I did and he was in Chicoutimi getting a used track, which is what the guy wanted. He was at the HI in about 10 minutes. It was 5PM at that time. Sled was back next morning at 9AM. The owner didn't know it but he also had a clutch problem, which Real fixed. Total bill, track, labor, pickup and delivery was$350. Guy was so happy he gave him another $50. I have a lot of these stories about this guy. Know him 25 years.

I put 14,000 on my 05 GSX 500SS before a ring broke and then it was a $2,700 bill. I had 2nd year warranty so it only cost me $50. If any of you are in the Saguenay area and have a problem, not covered by warranty, get ahold of Real Morin at Blue Morin Sports 547-6943, cell is 540-0358. Real will treat you right. He will pickup and deliver your sled within reason of Lac Kenogami. As Phil1 has stated, he is an honest guy who will be more than fair with you. Oh yes, he also does work in the evenings. Couple of years ago a guy was on Bras Louis when his track started to come apart. We nursed it back to the Lac Joly campground and I called Real. He told us when we got to the HI, call him. I did and he was in Chicoutimi getting a used track, which is what the guy wanted. He was at the HI in about 10 minutes. It was 5PM at that time. Sled was back next morning at 9AM. The owner didn't know it but he also had a clutch problem, which Real fixed. Total bill, track, labor, pickup and delivery was$350. Guy was so happy he gave him another $50. I have a lot of these stories about this guy. Know him 25 years.

What a great story Bill. It is sure nice to read such nice stories of good dealers. All to often such is not the case. It is good to see there are some really good dealers out there. :good:

What a great story Bill. It is sure nice to read such nice stories of good dealers. All to often such is not the case. It is good to see there are some really good dealers out there. :good:

Real is not a dealer. He has his own repair shop. While other mechanics are getting their tools out, he has it apart. I spent my entire working life around mechanics and I've never seen any work at the speed this guy does. He is a mechanic, not a parts replacer.

And Real's grandson, Jeremy, if my mind serves me is quite a young man. Real was not out yet, we were there at like 7 AM and Jeremy was working like crazy. Maybe 13 years old, moving trucks, sleds so we could get my machine in garage. He goes to an American speaking school & did all the translating for Real. If more people were like these people the world would be a MUCH better place.

:clapping::friends::good:

is that the guy that's close to the ski bee doo relais?

He is a mechanic, not a parts replacer.

Great point, unfortunatly that is how the next genaration is teached, broke, replace it.

And that's how a lot of stuff is enginnered also. :o(

Its a name to have listed on your cell phone just in case! Does he speak english well, Bill?

Thanks for the info Bill. :good:

Great point, unfortunatly that is how the next genaration is teached, broke, replace it.

And that's how a lot of stuff is enginnered also. :o(

Its a name to have listed on your cell phone just in case! Does he speak english well, Bill?

Thanks for the info Bill. :good:

He speaks Englih, but go very slow and not a lot of detail. If his wife answers the phone, she speaks excellent English. Daughter also speaks Englsih as well as grandson. He is teaching Grandson to become another Real type mechanic. Ask Phil1 about the Grandson. Please chime in Phil.

Real's english is not the best. But as Bill stated his Grandson & wife are good translators. The young grandson as I stated above is an excellent young man. I would call Real he gave the grandson the phone and it was like going to the corner store here in PA. Great people. They are all about what can I do for you.

Real was very concerned that he showed me the broken parts. He gave me the parts except the crank which he needed to send back to rebuild, core. The word HONEST comes to mind. Hope you don't need him but if you do he will be there to work for you.

I would like to mention that I also had a clutch problem that Jeremy, grandson, discovered and repaired.

Thanks again Bill for the referral.

Real's english is not the best. But as Bill stated his Grandson & wife are good translators. The young grandson as I stated above is an excellent young man. I would call Real he gave the grandson the phone and it was like going to the corner store here in PA. Great people. They are all about what can I do for you.

Real was very concerned that he showed me the broken parts. He gave me the parts except the crank which he needed to send back to rebuild, core. The word HONEST comes to mind. Hope you don't need him but if you do he will be there to work for you.

I would like to mention that I also had a clutch problem that Jeremy, grandson, discovered and repaired.

Thanks again Bill for the referral.

Bill. how about posting some contact info so we can have it ready??

Chris