Most scenic route

MFARJM

My friends and I plan to tour the Gaspe from RDL to Matane, Murdockville, Perce,Chandler, Point La Crouix, down to Edmundston, and up to RDL. In your opinion, what are the most scenic, cool things to see. Which trail from Matane to Murdockville is the most scenic, challenging. northern or southern?

Any favorite places? This is our 2nd attempt. Last year we had sled problems and snow storm which ended our tour.

We are heading toward the Gaspe for a 6 - 7 day tour on the 7th of March from RDL, Depending on how many miles you plan on sledding / day and how many days you are planning on being on the sled , there is a lot to see and quite a few different trails to take. Matane to Murdochville would be a choice I would make at Matane depending on weather and conditions , the trail from Murdochville to La Cache is a nice trail in good weather , but it can get nasty in a wind. I personally prefer heading north on 595 from La Cache in the afternoon , I find that the scenery is nicer and wild life is more abundant in afternoon than AM when we are going through the Park and reserve between La Cache and Saint Paulin. Most of the Gaspe trip is quite nice , If you are going to drop into NB at Pointe Le croix , you will be missing some nice trails and scenery in the Pointe Le Croix /Amqui / Sayabec areas.

I am sure there are members on here that can speak from experience from a trip this winter , on what's open or closed this season.

Maybe give the forum a little run down on what your group would like to do / see / and the type of riding you guys like , and i am sure you will get a few suggestions.

Mark

Edited by MJD

Everyone has an opinion on the Gaspe, but it really depends if you want to put on a lot of miles in a day or just average mileage. RDL to Matane is a fast easy riding, but many people riding the Gaspe figure I can ride 200-250 miles per day and that makes for a long day. I find the Gaspe much slower, mountainious, steep twisty trails and many places to stop and enjoy the view or take a picture. I personally average 120-150 miles per day in Gaspe, and I don’t ride after dark as there is nothing to see. One problem with Gaspe are the town (hotels) aren’t spaced conveniently, so you either have a very long day or a short day. Ride some of the local trails if you have a short day. The local trails around Carleton up into the hills are really nice, if groomed, otherwise no signage and easy to get lost.

Matane to Mont Saint-Pierre is ~ 155 miles, the most interesting part is Sainte Anne-des-Monts to Mont Saint-Pierre from a scenery point of view, but not a place to ride in a snowstorm or high winds due to drifting and visibility. In this area you can easily lose 2 days due to weather. Hotel in Mont Saint-Pierre is not fancy, but acceptable and food has always been good. A great place wake-up in the morning. If you want a longer day go on to Murdochville. The hotel here is also acceptable and food is good. As a side trail, riding from Murdochville to La Cache is nice, good view of the backside of the Chic Choc Mtns, but the trail needs to be recently groomed, as its never well signed and you can get some significant drifting. I think riding in this direction is better than the reverse from scenery perspective.

Trail 597 from Murdochville to Chandler is nice ride through the Reserve, side run to Perce for lunch. There is a local trail behind Perce which is groomed ½ way up the hill, the balance isn’t and the road to the top is narrow and the snow can be above the guardrail, but worth going to the top. Motel Chandler is decent and you can stop into the Chandler club for food and visit with Dale (see their Gaspe website).

The ride between Chandler and New Richmond to me is just a ride, not that much to get excited about (anytime I’m on a powerline I’m bored). In New Richmond and Carleton you will find good hotels. The ride from New Richmond to Ponite a la Croix is much more interesting with better views of the ocean, and more interesting hills to ride. Trail 595 (New Richmond to La Cache to Sainte Palin) is nice ride, but depending on your time you can’t ride them all and there are other interesting trails in my opinion.

Seeing as you’re leaving from RDL I’m guessing you don’t have a New Brunswick trail pass, so I would stay in Quebec. Ponite a la Croix (Campbellton) through to Kedgwick, Moose Valley on onto Edmunston can be a good ride, but I would head to Amqui, there are lots of local trails in this region worth riding. I would ride trail 587 towards La Redemption and take side trail to Radio Tower. This trail isn’t groomed, ~ 2 miles, but there is a small sign. At the Radio Tower all the trees are snow ghosts (totally covered in snow) and pretty cool for the east coast. Good area for off trail riding.

From Trail 587 come over into Bas Saint Laurent region and ride 548 to 546 down to Squatec. If time permits comedown to Degelis on Trail # 569 (nice trail) and then run main Trail # 85 up along the lake to Cabano and onto RDL.

I ride New Brunswick, Gaspe and Bas Saint Laurent areas regularly and some of best riding are the local trails. Most people who are doing a Gaspe tour are on the main trail and don’t have time to ride the local trails, but after your first big trip, check-out local trails.

Have a good trip.

At the Radio Tower all the trees are snow ghosts (totally covered in snow) and pretty cool for the east coast.

I was up there Tuesday last week. I kinda regret not staying in say Ampqui the night so that I could ride back to see the trees at sunset. I'd also imagine they would be spectacular under a full moon!

P1000515.JPG

P1000523.JPG

P1000525.JPG

P1000531.JPG

P1000537.JPG

P1000524.JPG

P1000543.JPG

P1000535.JPG

I'm in Perce right now and we are planning on staying in Amqui one night. Where do you see the 'ghost trees'? Can you give me some directions?

We rode from Matane to Perce. 5 to 597 to 5. 310 miles. My 4th trip here so I've seen a lot of it and it's still amazing. If you want to see the sights, DO NOT plan long days!!! Massive snow in Murdochville area. We talked to a groomer operator and he said last Saturday they got 3 feet of snow. He took the groomer down 597 with no drag just to open up the trail! Also in that area first time I've seen as groomer in front with no drag while another followed with drag. Lot of snow!!

I'm in Perce right now and we are planning on staying in Amqui one night. Where do you see the 'ghost trees'? Can you give me some directions?

The mountain is on trail 587 N, between 579 and 591. There will be an intersection at the top and there will be a sign. It should be obvious. Hopefuly you make it on a blue sky day and if you catch a good sunset, please post the pictures. You are also close to a full moon this week!

Saw the ghost tree today. In my opinion, if you ride the Gaspe, this is a must do! (along with riding Groomers trails!) Great directions. Truly an amazing sight. I'd post pics but I'm in RDL now on my phone. Trip is over :(. 1249 miles.

Sled dog, glad you had a great trip!! We're heading out mid next week to ride Gaspe, launching from near QC and riding 20 to/from. Based on your 1249 miles, any areas you'd avoid due to thin conditions or other hazards that we should research further? Thanks in advance - Moose

Nope. The entire peninsula had lots of snow. We left from RDL to Matane, Perce, Point a la croix, Amqui and back to RDL. Id say 90% of trails were perfectly groomed. Have a great trip!