planning a trip from clova to mont valin

mrterceira

hi everyone, I know its early but getting excited for winter and was thinking of planning a trip from clova to mont valin if possible, wondering if there is some kind of loop that we could do. Any info or recommendations would be great.

Edited by mrterceira

How much time?? How many miles a day are you comfortable riding?

Here are two possibilities.

LONG. Clova (83), Lebel sur Quevillon (83-93), Chibougammau (93), Saint Felicien (93, 373), Monts Valin (93). Relais 22 (if it's open) (93, 23, 83). Clova (23). 6 days.

SHORTER. Clova (83), Relais 21, Monts Valin (83, 23, 93), St. Raymond (93, 23), St-Michelle des Saints (23), Clova (33, 13, 83). 5 days.

If you want to play in the Monts for a day and take a spin over for a visitation with Bill in Saguenay, add another day or two.

As to specific accomodations along the route just post your questions here. There are many on this site who are presently in a state of summer snow depression, with idle time on their hands, who would love to give you their 2cents on such an excursion.

I've ridden both of those loops many times and would be happy to answer any questions you might have should you have concerns. P mail me if you wish.

mrterceira are you planning to drive your truck & trailer to clova and leaving from there ?

Truck and trailer to manawaki from there snowmobile to Clova and then so on.

Last year we drove up to mont valin and spent 4 days up there for the first time what an experience, our goal is to do some kind of loop up to mont valin and back with the least amount of trailering rather spend the time on the machines. We've thought of going up threw the montreal side but the weather up there is hit and miss. Were leaving from Aylmer and other ideas would be great. Thanks

How much time?? How many miles a day are you comfortable riding?

Here are two possibilities.

LONG. Clova (83), Lebel sur Quevillon (83-93), Chibougammau (93), Saint Felicien (93, 373), Monts Valin (93). Relais 22 (if it's open) (93, 23, 83). Clova (23). 6 days.

SHORTER. Clova (83), Relais 21, Monts Valin (83, 23, 93), St. Raymond (93, 23), St-Michelle des Saints (23), Clova (33, 13, 83). 5 days.

If you want to play in the Monts for a day and take a spin over for a visitation with Bill in Saguenay, add another day or two.

As to specific accomodations along the route just post your questions here. There are many on this site who are presently in a state of summer snow depression, with idle time on their hands, who would love to give you their 2cents on such an excursion.

I've ridden both of those loops many times and would be happy to answer any questions you might have should you have concerns. P mail me if you wish.

thanks for the response, any idea what kind of miles between stops

Maybe start somewhere that has a bus stop, just in case someone has to bus back to get a truck/trailer in case repairs are not practical, as in something goes pop at a bad time.

Dealers are amazing at dropping what they're doing to help a downed machine, but weekend repairs are out, and getting a good diagnosis and parts on the way is sometimes inconvenient to the rest of your group. Don't ask me how I now these things - LOL

one other thought for a trip which looks interesting would be from Quebec City north on the 23 to Mont Valin then back down 83 to the 3, any thoughts

mrterceira 83 to 3 is "AWESOME" one of my favorite trails, make sure you have gas

mrterceira 83 to 3 is "AWESOME" one of my favorite trails, make sure you have gas

If your on 23 going North you have to gas up at L'Etape then next gasup will be at around Hebertville I think it's around 2 and change ,you can't do all of 23 north without a fill up and 83 to 3 I'm not exactly sure of the mileage don't want to give you the wrong info. From Saint felix dOtisonon trail 83 to trail 3 the only place you can get gas that I remember is the auberge Lac Moreau It's about 17km off trail 83 If you miss it your done !!! lol I know because it almost happen to me at -40 deg. at night,that would've been not such a good night sleep. check out lac moreau it's really nice good place to stay.

Good luck CrazySnow :drinks: .

one other thought for a trip which looks interesting would be from Quebec City north on the 23 to Mont Valin then back down 83 to the 3, any thoughts

Not quite sure of the milage from Quebec to Mont Valin but i know from experience, Shawinagan to La Domaine de la Chutes in Mont Valins is 365 miles thats close to 600k big day of riding.

I've started a 3 day ride from the Rougemont in St.Raymond and the clubhouse "Relais Lesage" when it was there many times, I'm not quite familiar with the trail numbers as much as some of you are i just know what the trees look like along the way sort of speak. You can ride up through the Parc de Laurentides (Le Tape) into Hebertville for the night then down through Ferland and into Charlevoix for the next and return in 1/2 a day to St.Raymond. Can also be done through Parc le Portneuf (Lac Edward) Chez Bill for the night then follow the Saguenay river to Baie St.Catherine, La Mal Baie for the night and return 1/2 a day to St.Raymond. Can ride into La Tuque and Relais 22 for the night, next day St.Felicien and Hebertville for the night and 3/4 day return to St.Raymond. Or it can all be done in reverse.

Jusy my 2 cents

JG

From the Delta Saguenay, down 83, it is 110 miles to Clermont for gas. However it you take 83 to 383 East into Riviere Eternite, there is gas there and then continue on 383 East into L Anse St Jean, there is also gas there. Take the local trail, 20 miles, back to 83. That 20 mile trail is a very nice trail. It adds about 10 miles but it will save you from going into Clermont. Alot better than going the 20 miles up to Lac Moreau and back.

Stay a day or two in the Saguenay and I'll show you some nice riding.

Mrterceira take Bills advice he knows that neck of the woods like the back of his hand , me I'm all over the place.

I love going to places that I haven't been too. That's what makes snowmobiling so much fun to me. Later.

Cl ova doesn't have much to offer. But if you must include it I would make my way through Katawanda perhaps spend a night in that place good folks nice setting. It would be shorter day but good for a shack down before going into the bush. (I generally take log roads from here cutting out clova) gas isn't an issue if you do that I could forward the gps route I use. Typically I make my way to the Jordan in St felicien nice place. From hear take some time get off the main trails and see what the Lac has to offer. Many nice places to stay along the way. Take a ride out to Lac Jim for lunch nice place to visit. When you leave the Lac I would head south to saint Raymond or through lac Edward either direction you wind up in La tuque. that town is ok Ive stayed a few times but typical don't like to. If you do and like night time activity you need to ride the side walk in town to get to it. Personally I would stay south and head over to st donate area. Few nice parks to ride through rather then heading high and back tracking a few pre riden trails (2). This is a general over veiw detail can be given via this brain trust of folks.

Jesse

Where is Katawanda thats a new one for me?

Do you mean Kanawata? Mario and Celine?

yes Thank you the spelling didn't look quite right but didn't have the time to get a map out. I like that place so does my son thinks we are in the middle of no mans land

Edited by rmk

Yes that is an awesome stop for sure, be sure to call ahead and let em know your coming their way,

Barrage Gouin another great stop a little north off the 83 but great people and a nice stay.

Also instead of relais 22 stay at Pouvourie Windigo, awesome little place great people and very welcoming. Love that place.

No gas there but gas the next morning either way at relais 22 east or in Wemontachi westbound.

If coming west gas at Relais 22 yes, then sleep at Windigo much better then Relais 22.

Hey John,

You have never experienced a breakdown while riding have you?? LOL

How's your summer going in NH? New sled for 2013?

Best,

Tom

Its simply inevitable and part of the deal. Whether its a crank seal, seize a piston, jack shaft bearing, drive chain, blow a shock, suspension arm, ride with Marty, hit a tree, whatever the case may be, its all part of the adventure - LOL

No new 2013 for me, have not seen any models that impress me enough to spend $10k+ to ride 3 weeks a season.

However in November I found a cherry 2006 600SDI Renegade with 1022 miles on it. I broke it in this past season putting 5k on it in Quebec, its a keeper! Exact sled as my 2007 that has 20k on it, which is now the backup/guest sled.

You must have sprung for the 3013 with power steerage? Does it have a jerry can, GPS and a winch?

Happy boating!

John

Also instead of relais 22 stay at Pouvourie Windigo, awesome little place great people and very welcoming. Love that place.

No gas there but gas the next morning either way at relais 22 east or in Wemontachi westbound.

If coming west gas at Relais 22 yes, then sleep at Windigo much better then Relais 22.

I never got around to staying hear on the bold. R 22 does get old the log trucks for one. I always carry ear plugs if not for snoring of a fellow ride then things like that. Typically push on even if its late

That all depends on where you eat lunch....

Some of the Trailside places can get greasy.

Gutz

Mr Gutz

You are an insightful dude with a great grasp of the obvious. Which trailside place have you found the greatest offended?? :-) How goes your summer?

timbo