Riding with the wife

MXZ700RIDER

Any suggetsions on how to keep wifey interested in Snowmobiling? I started riding in 1996, met my wife and got her to try snowmobiling by of all things riding on the back of my 1 up Ski Doo Formula SL500. Yes I know....a pretty tight squeeze...and probably not real safe...we only rode a short distance but at keast it gave her the feel albeit not that confortable for either of us. She soon decided she had to have her own sled! Awesome....so I found her a 1997 Formula SL 500 sled of her own. We rode in NY, Maine, and Canada. In 2002 I got myself a shiny new orange and yellow MXZ 700 Adrenaline with reverse which as you know our 500 sleds did not have. Reverse! What a luxury! No more having to muscle the sleds around. The next year My wife upgraded to a 2003 shiny new MXZ 700 too. The dealer tried to steer me toward a smaller sled lkike a 600 or another 500cc sled for her, but she wanted the same power as my sled even though she doesn't ride wide open much but thats ok. Nice to have the extra cc to climb steep hills I guess, etc......

As the years have gone by however, she seems less and less excited about driving 8 hours to Canada for a week of cold, cold, weather. She likes the places we stay of course, the cozy fireplace at Chalet,the tasty food, scenery, etc.....just not the process of putting on all the riding gear and heading out into temperatures as low as -15f. All married guys whose wives ride with them will understand when I say guilting her about not riding isn't a good idea either! So I find myself riding in Canada a bit more by myself if she passes on riding. I am not looking for an answer to my situation, but wondered if anyone has a similar story to tell?

In answer to your question...."Any suggestions on how to keep wifey interested in Snowmobiling?"

It sounds like you want her to go with you...so when you are doing the 'couples' ride...INCREASE the FUN and DECREASE the KM's, add another couple or two to make the SOCIAL part bigger.

And then do your higher mileage rides with the "Guys" and leaver her at home with some cash...she'll be fine and very happy as will you!

Just my thoughts!

Linda

This is what I do but each is different.

1 Keep the miles low this isnt a guy ride.

2. Stay at nice to very nice places. (with shopping or stores near by)

3. let them pick the ride sfer that way just have input.

4. ride late am not 6 am on the sled

5. the place to stay try to have a spa

6. dont push if they dont want to go out then go for a quick ride alone find something nice then try to being them to it.

7. Find a freind inFlorida on the beach and send her south and ride with friend (who is from pa as well) this one will be hard but not imposs.

My wife rode in the beginning also, she doesn't like the cold so I don't push the issue. So now when I leave for QC she's happier going out to dinner every night I'm gone with my youngest daughter. I think it cost me more leaving her home! Plus she gets 10 days in Negril every April. That she enjoys alot more then the cold.

Thanks for the great suggestions. Many of them I have done. I have found a spa helpfull. I am afraid if she took a trip to Florida though...I amy not get her to Canada again:)

trust me no issue when it get 2 deg south of hell she will run home.

Great suggestions so far. Some years I can only convince her to go North for snowmobiling if I also promise a warm weather trip later in the year somewhere she wants to go more. Don't get me wrong, she doesn't hate to snowmobile, but the other day when it was -13 F on 2/7 at 10 am and I was heading out to ride, there was no convincing her that she was crazy for not wanting to join me! :) She stayed in the Chalet, in front of a fire place with hot chocolat. I came back a few hours later with my eye lashes frozen together! No lie.....as my eyes teared up from some wind getting inside my visor, it was freezing to my eyelashes. Never had that happen before and I still loved the riding!

My wife has come with me almost every year lately and she enjoys it. We did the Gaspesie tour a few years back , 200 mile days and no issue (in March) but the last trip this January (to the Gathering) was so cold (-36 c) it turn her off saying she cannot do this anymore, getting too old for this sh*t, but now after a good rest she is ready for the next trip 1st week of March, so.... the COLD has a lot to do with it! Also we do saddlebag trips only so cold or not you have to ride!!

Phil- What did you end up doing with your sled? I just got back from weekend in Canada, but already looking forward to a return. Keep me in mind if theres room!

Terry

Still at dealership, 3 weeks Tuesday, opened it up and found more damage. Waiting for parts from BRP. Not very happy, these things and not capable of handeling the power they produce. I guess we found out what light weight gets you!!!

Will keep you in the loop if a slot opens up for a trip.

I mentioned saddle bag trips to her, but not sure she would enjoy it, or would be into it probably because it would require her to ride every day no matter what. I agree that if she even hears that it will be below zero much, she won't ride. We used to set trips for early March but it became too risky with lack of snow. One year we ended up driving to Fort Kent Maine 16 hours drive. Well I also think I will be looking to join a local snowmobile club to meet some others I can ride with locally and possibly join on trips they may schedule to Canada, NY, or Maine. Haven't had the time to look into joining a club yet, but now I do. That way I would not have to rely on my wife riding with me as much as I do now. Riding solo isn't bad if it wasn't for the risk of breaking down.

Sandi, my wife, started out many years ago as a passenger. This is early 80's. When our son got old enough, we bought a second sled so the three of us could go together. She started driving a little then when our son didn't go up and found out that she liked driving better than being a passenger. Those days 100 miles was a big day. If it was cold, we would make a short day. We didn't do any saddlebag trips until the 90's.

Sandi grew with the sport along with myself and the folks we rode with. We gradually made bigger trips and bought better clothing. We pick nice places to stay. It doesn't have to be the best place but nice.

Sandi did feel funny about it being primarily a guy's sport but she has turned that around and doesn't let it intimidate her anymore. She does miss the company of another female at times but then at other times she gets a kick out of being the only female in the relais.

From what you have posted, it sounds like you are going in the right direction but not everybody loves snowmobiling the same way. The cold seems to be your biggest issue. Make sure she has clothing that is comfortable, warm and even fashionable. Make sure the hot grips are working correctly. Maybe a bigger windshield.

All of that I think you already know. Make sure the sled is handling good. Not just good from your perspective but hers too. Does the sled behave well? Is it easy to steer? Does it go where she wants it to go? Does it stop good?

If she is not in total control of the sled, she won't be happy. Each time Sandi gets a new sled, it gets a little better. Her current sled is better than her last sled and that was betteer than the sled before it.

It is fun to be able to share the experience with your other half.

Jack & Sandi

I mentioned saddle bag trips to her, but not sure she would enjoy it, or would be into it probably because it would require her to ride every day no matter what. I agree that if she even hears that it will be below zero much, she won't ride. We used to set trips for early March but it became too risky with lack of snow. One year we ended up driving to Fort Kent Maine 16 hours drive. Well I also think I will be looking to join a local snowmobile club to meet some others I can ride with locally and possibly join on trips they may schedule to Canada, NY, or Maine. Haven't had the time to look into joining a club yet, but now I do. That way I would not have to rely on my wife riding with me as much as I do now. Riding solo isn't bad if it wasn't for the risk of breaking down.

Look to go on tour with other couples. Not this year but we gen go for quick rips 3-4 days early and very late 2 week March next year would not be an issue

Still at dealership, 3 weeks Tuesday, opened it up and found more damage. Waiting for parts from BRP. Not very happy, these things and not capable of handeling the power they produce. I guess we found out what light weight gets you!!!

Will keep you in the loop if a slot opens up for a trip.

Phil sorry for that but are you looking to be in on the first week march ride. Florida snowman (aka master of the snow) and I are riding. getting to the piont you can jump in with me I land in allentown on the 1st 9am

If not always next year. what motor is that sled I'm looking at a summit 800 for next year from howads in western pa

Hi MXZ700Rider,

What is your riding style when you're out with your wife?

When you're riding together, do you adjust your riding style to suit her? Jack tries not to let me get too far out of sight or he asks me to go first. If I can see him, it's easier for both of us. He will take off at times on a really nice trail but he never passes a change of trail or even a stop sign on a road without checking that I'm still behind him. Plus you can talk about what you saw on the trail later if you're riding closer together.

I have seen couples riding where the guy is 5 miles ahead and the female rider is crawling along the trail looking terrified. This cannot be fun.

Remember that you are supposed to be having fun and sharing the experience.

Sandi & Jack

She may enjoy the saddlebag trips more, I know my wife does. Many people feel you have to stay at the same place and sort of need a "base". I have found she likes the saddlebagging better and many times it is easier, if you are planning a 200 mile day and you get 100 miles out and have a problem you still have to get back. On a saddlebag trip the day can end at the nearest place if it has to, that it why I never book more than a half day ahead for a room.

Also I don't go along with the idea that you both have to have the same model sled. She doesn't like my Apex but loves her Vector.