1200 Miles over in 10 miles.

mccaffrey

Day 1 and only day.Planned 4 + days of riding.Woke up Thursday morning Feb. 28 in Matawin to 10 inches of new snow,the 3 of us ate so fast that morning we could not wait to get on the trails.Left Chez Marineau at 8am took 360 to get on to pipe line 355 thats when the fun stopped.5 miles in to the trip while breaking trail theres no one behind me,I stop and wait, I did not want turn around in this deep snow if did not have to so I waited,10 minutes later my 2 friends pull up behind me and Darrells sled is the one cutting out,I'am thinking something is getting wet and shutting the sled off,so we looked at somethings, everything seemed ok lets try this again.Took off maybe 3 miles down the trail no one is behind me again,10 minutes later they pull up and said the samething,sled cutting out,now there is a misfire,will not idle and under load motor is skipping,checked over and the problem went away,decided to put that sled out front and let it break trail,cought up with him 5 miles down the trail and the sled was running good no problems but we had to think about what we were going to do at this point if this sled kept having this problem,decided to keep going our thought was something was getting wet causing the problem, going through La Tuque would stop at ski-doo dealer and fix it.Got up on 355 pipe line everthing was going ok but I was holding my breath,sure enough Darrell starts dropping back,we stop and he is back to the same problem,at this point we are about 40 miles or so from La Tuque,dealer here we come!We get there and they bring it in and tell us it dropped a cylinder,what! Plan B go to motel 9 leave Darrell and sled, Leon and I ride back down to the truck and go back to motel 9 stay the night and call it a trip and head back to Vermont.E-tec motor with 5500 miles on it,I thought I would be the one breaking with 07 gade 20,000 miles.I was so looking forward to finding that cut through going 73 north to Windigo with out a gps,gate? kidding.Sense I had extra time this weekend started looking into my first gps to mount on bar 07 and be able to install onto new sled later,2015?Not ending the season like this! Rebooked For March 14th,lets try this again! Pat

Hi Pat,

Just curious. Was it a 600 or 800 e-tec and what year? If it is an 800, did it have the piston recall done on it? I`ve got an 2011 Gade 800 that has been wonderful.

It seems odd that it would act up and then run good and then act up again unless it just scuffed the cylinder and didn`t actually break something.

Thanks,

Jack

Day 1 and only day.Planned 4 + days of riding.Woke up Thursday morning Feb. 28 in Matawin to 10 inches of new snow,the 3 of us ate so fast that morning we could not wait to get on the trails.Left Chez Marineau at 8am took 360 to get on to pipe line 355 thats when the fun stopped.5 miles in to the trip while breaking trail theres no one behind me,I stop and wait, I did not want turn around in this deep snow if did not have to so I waited,10 minutes later my 2 friends pull up behind me and Darrells sled is the one cutting out,I'am thinking something is getting wet and shutting the sled off,so we looked at somethings, everything seemed ok lets try this again.Took off maybe 3 miles down the trail no one is behind me again,10 minutes later they pull up and said the samething,sled cutting out,now there is a misfire,will not idle and under load motor is skipping,checked over and the problem went away,decided to put that sled out front and let it break trail,cought up with him 5 miles down the trail and the sled was running good no problems but we had to think about what we were going to do at this point if this sled kept having this problem,decided to keep going our thought was something was getting wet causing the problem, going through La Tuque would stop at ski-doo dealer and fix it.Got up on 355 pipe line everthing was going ok but I was holding my breath,sure enough Darrell starts dropping back,we stop and he is back to the same problem,at this point we are about 40 miles or so from La Tuque,dealer here we come!We get there and they bring it in and tell us it dropped a cylinder,what! Plan B go to motel 9 leave Darrell and sled, Leon and I ride back down to the truck and go back to motel 9 stay the night and call it a trip and head back to Vermont.E-tec motor with 5500 miles on it,I thought I would be the one breaking with 07 gade 20,000 miles.I was so looking forward to finding that cut through going 73 north to Windigo with out a gps,gate? kidding.Sense I had extra time this weekend started looking into my first gps to mount on bar 07 and be able to install onto new sled later,2015?Not ending the season like this! Rebooked For March 14th,lets try this again! Pat

Dam !!! .... That Sucks .. Been there done that hang in there .... it's going to snow like Crazy on March 14th :drinks:

Hi Pat,

Just curious. Was it a 600 or 800 e-tec and what year? If it is an 800, did it have the piston recall done on it? I`ve got an 2011 Gade 800 that has been wonderful.

It seems odd that it would act up and then run good and then act up again unless it just scuffed the cylinder and didn`t actually break something.

Thanks,

Jack

Hi Jack, 09 600 do not know if it had a recall,will be torn downTues. or Wed.motor is not making ant funny noises,left cylinder not making power.

Hi Jack, 09 600 do not know if it had a recall,will be torn downTues. or Wed.motor is not making ant funny noises,left cylinder not making power.

The 800`s were the ones that had the piston recall. I don`t remember the 600`s being recalled. It is strange that it would run good and then bad then good. It makes me think that it may be something with the fuel injector going on vacation or the electrical system as opposed to something mechanical like a burnt piston..

Good luck with it.

Jack

Bummer, hope he gets it figured out! Was in Quebec City yesterday. Very warm, 37F and raining. Ton;s of snow, but road crossings are beat. Lot at Berniers was completely full. For 3/14 you may have to start further north, but there should be snow. We will be up there this week-end.

very common 09 600 etec issue in center of crank, complete new assembly replace engine. supposed to be better, 5k miles time bomb. been there. ran fine till it didn't- in the town of Gaspe. long bus ride back to truck. we really like our 1200'S,

3000 miles mine crapped out on 09. Oil pump. Was still covered under warranty . Lost last month of the season waiting for new motor but put another 4000 on it and then traded it.

Pat

Sorry to hear about Darrell's bad luck. Hope new motor gives him years of trouble free riding.

Bill

Thanks Bill,Darrell,Leon,myself and a forth person wants in next week,we are going to get the deal done and then call it a season on the other side of the border. Bill many thanks for what you do giving us good info. Winter Gathering 2014? I got to get me job like yours! LOL. Thanks again.

Thanks Bill,Darrell,Leon,myself and a forth person wants in next week,we are going to get the deal done and then call it a season on the other side of the border. Bill many thanks for what you do giving us good info. Winter Gathering 2014? I got to get me job like yours! LOL. Thanks again.

Pat

Until you get the job like mine, please keep working, paying your Social Security, so I can do my job as Trail Inspector.

Bill

My wifes 09 E-Tech dropped a cylinder at 1200 miles in its first year. BRP put a new motor in for us which now has about 9000 miles on it troublefree. When we had our problem we heard about some "updates" that they did to her computer. I believe that their update richened the mixture. New, I think it was mixing at close to 100/1 and now I think it is closer to 70 or 80 to 1. That is still better oil consumption than my SDI which mixes at about 40 or 50 to1. Of course my SDI has gone over 15000 miles with no problems so far. Bills got me thinking about an Ace. By the way HI BILL, sorry we missed you. Our usual Gaspe trip and then up around the lake was scheduled for the time when the Gaspe had their little melt-down. So we regrouped and did a northern Ontario/ northern Quebec trip. I'm glad to hear you had a safe season and we hope to see you and JD ( and Groomer if you're listening) next year. Jeff and Sandy

My wifes 09 E-Tech dropped a cylinder at 1200 miles in its first year. BRP put a new motor in for us which now has about 9000 miles on it troublefree. When we had our problem we heard about some "updates" that they did to her computer. I believe that their update richened the mixture. New, I think it was mixing at close to 100/1 and now I think it is closer to 70 or 80 to 1. That is still better oil consumption than my SDI which mixes at about 40 or 50 to1. Of course my SDI has gone over 15000 miles with no problems so far. Bills got me thinking about an Ace. By the way HI BILL, sorry we missed you. Our usual Gaspe trip and then up around the lake was scheduled for the time when the Gaspe had their little melt-down. So we regrouped and did a northern Ontario/ northern Quebec trip. I'm glad to hear you had a safe season and we hope to see you and JD ( and Groomer if you're listening) next year. Jeff and Sandy

Hi Jeff

I wondered what happened to you this year. You need to look into the ACE. Great little sled.

Bill