Joliette/Taureau reservoir/Mt-Tremblant park photo ride-report 23march2013

towing

Saturday, March 23 cloudy with-5C. This week’s storm and the cold weather had given so good conditions that most snowmobile clubs had decided to extend the grooming giving us the chance to leave the trailer at home and Snowcruiser, Stef, Krikri and I started our ride directly from home in St-Thomas de Joliette. Here’s the path of the day

carte-12_zpsda703ac1.jpg

My club which maintains St Thomas was closed but just a few miles farther the joliette club had groomed and and it was perfect.

DSC08263_zps2beaad86.jpg

St-Felix de Valois was just as beautiful

DSC08266_zps60154903.jpg

St-Gabriel de Brandon was also well groomed.

DSC08282_zps689c1fbc.jpg

The trail itself that was very hard at start becomes soft and powdery as an after storm day when we were up the big hill in St-Damien de Brandon. Here at the intersection with #349 trail

DSC08299_zps0d99e858.jpg

The conditions were nothing spring and it was more like mid-January

DSC08322_zpsf570f909.jpg

DSC08333_zpsbcbac466.jpg

After pourvoirie St-Damien there was a very bumpy section but it was much better then

DSC08344_zpsf26c325a.jpg

DSC08349_zpsbc123b1b.jpg

We pass the pourvoirie Réal Massé closed, it closed every year around March 10 regardless of the conditions.

DSC08353_zpsa81d0159.jpg

We took a break at the #23/#350 junction. Since it was early, we decided to make a detour through the village of St-Zenon before going for lunch at Cabanon.

DSC08362_zps81752d34.jpg

Few miles to get to La Glacière were beated

DSC08370_zpscfda86bb.jpg

DSC08373_zpsd713ae09.jpg

But it was then cool nicely groomed to the village of St-Zenon where we stopped to refuel. Here the view just north of the village of the Kayagamac lake south of St-Michel des Saints.

DSC08399_zps8eca71f5.jpg

This section of trail was quite beautiful even for the scenery than for the trail itself

DSC08403_zps7f9c65fc.jpg

DSC08407_zpsa49f13d3.jpg

DSC08411_zps8b30f44e.jpg

DSC08415_zpsc5c84ca5.jpg

We stop to lunch to Cabanon at 11:00

DSC08433_zps1cfdf592.jpg

Edited by towing

We take the north trail that was bumpy up to Taureau Lake dam. The day have become warmer and the powder we got before lunch was now wet snow...

DSC08458_zpsc97e9b3c.jpg

Good to know that there is cellular coverage at this spot to help you if you ever got in trouble in this area...

DSC08461_zps5164e36f.jpg

Trail # 360 which goes around the lake was beautiful and very fast up to l’auberge du Lac Taureau

DSC08481_zps19c54087.jpg

DSC08491_zpsbecbd42d.jpg

then we choose to ride the Taureau reservoir instead of the trail to get to St-Michel des Saints. This section is not marked (it has been several years ago) and the reservoir being almost empty, it is on the ice cover deposited on the bottom that we ride.

DSC08536-1_zps9286c85b.jpg

Docks in the air ...

DSC08543_zpsfbad5737.jpg

and hills on the lake marked this typical part of our ride

DSC08554-1_zps9e02c804.jpg

DSC08572_zpsc0ba2ce1.jpg

The summer water level normally goes to the edge of the trees on the islands

DSC08559_zpsb6d0e5b9.jpg

DSC08571-1_zps0102dbd2.jpg

We stop at St-Michel to refuel

DSC08590_zpsacc4d4f0.jpg

and then we headed to the Parc du Mont-Tremblant via trail #33. There was alot of sledder and with the warm temperature the trail condition degraded considerably

DSC08625_zps1edc1cfd.jpg

We then rode the Parc du Mont-Tremblant

DSC08658_zpsf2341afe.jpg

DSC08664-1_zps31fb97b3.jpg

And have forked east to go through the #63. The trail south of Pourvoirie Bazinet was probably inspired of the Snowcross which took place this weekend at slides of St-Jean de Matha

DSC08704_zps4123ba79.jpg

but arriving near St-Jean de Matha, trails where very much better. We stopped for supper at the village and returned home on decent trail condition even though the snow was a little slushy on some spot. We were back home at 9 pm with 270 miles on the dreammeter. Steph who made the ride from his home in L'Assomption sector must surely exceed 300miles.My venture also celebrated his thirties during the ride (in kms of course) it's still young!!

DSC08720_zpse032107e.jpg

It was the last ride with connectivity in the trail network this season as many snowmobile clubs have pulled on the plug after the week end. The weather forecasts looks very bad with rain and very warm temp for the week so even if it left alot of snow to the ground, the grooming is almost ended for the season .

Take a look here to know which snowmobile clubs are still in operation... (always check at the updated date) http://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions

It unfortunately smell the end of the season...

Alain

Thanks for your reports this year. It really helps to see the condtions through your pictures. We may have crossed paths sometime on saturday as we were coming into Cabanon via 63.

It was amazing how quickly the trails deteriorated on Saturday. Lots of sleds at Cabanon when we got back.

Alain - thank you for your reports this winter. I always look forward to reading them. It was a pleasure finally meeting you and Krikir a few weeks ago. I hope to make more then one trip up next season. As people say "life gets in the way."

Have a wonderful off season.

Bob

Looks like you had another great ride this past weekend. I look forward to your posts every week. The amount of snow up there is almost unbelievable for this time of year. I know it will soon start to melt fast.

If you do not get out again this spring I will look forward to your first trail report in December.

You caught it perfectly!

Krikri told me I'm a perfect guy :lol:

Thank you for a season of great trail reports ! And all the pics too

You are welcome dooright!!! glad you enjoyed following us in our rides this season :drinks:

Nice way to end it.Thanks for the reports.You never got a chance this year to take week long tour like you usally do Alain?See you next year for sure.

David

You're welcome David. Yes, I had made a five day trip in the first week of march. It have been a great loop from Champlain (near trois-Rivières) going to Roberval/Monts-Valins/Sacré-Coeur/Charlevoie/ Champlain. Krikri took thousands pics but I have just few with sun because we travel under clouds near the 5 days which was the only bad note of the trip. I was discouraged to attemp a ride report the way I usually do it and took a break for this one but as a spring/summer project, maybe it would be entertaining on the forum..I will probably do it.

It was a pleasure to meet you and Linda this season and I hope we will have the chance to ride together the next time :friends:

Great ,geat reports and pics Alain this sled season again. Big thank you for taking the time to post. Squeeze out one more ride next weekend??? ( weather permiting ?? ) or time to break out the four wheeler?? Good mileage on the sled too,, Fuzzy

Thank you very much Fuzzy!! It's easter holiday this week-end and I think Krikri would get depressive to stay home with so much snow outside, so we will find a way to ride somewhere.. near or far from home :spiteful: My sled mileage just get to the half of Iceman's one... still young!!

Thanks for your reports this year. It really helps to see the condtions through your pictures. We may have crossed paths sometime on saturday as we were coming into Cabanon via 63.

It was amazing how quickly the trails deteriorated on Saturday. Lots of sleds at Cabanon when we got back.

My pleasure gizz!! an image worth a thousand word! maybe we crossed our path on the #33/#63 west of St-Michel... trail condition was very uneven this last weekend. The day beginning was looking as a january ride but in the afternoon, march came back strong!!! it's amazing here(home) how it melt since saturday.. no more new snow from the last week storm and the march sun is very strong, it smell the end..

Alain - thank you for your reports this winter. I always look forward to reading them. It was a pleasure finally meeting you and Krikir a few weeks ago. I hope to make more then one trip up next season. As people say "life gets in the way."

Have a wonderful off season.

Bob

You're welcome Bob and I'm glad you took the time to hook me and we meet you :drinks: Family time is great too and as a father of 4 boys, i know it's sometimes hard to insert sledding in the schedule... I had the chance to have a wife even more snowmobile enthusiast than me which help of course... :angel:

Looks like you had another great ride this past weekend. I look forward to your posts every week. The amount of snow up there is almost unbelievable for this time of year. I know it will soon start to melt fast.

If you do not get out again this spring I will look forward to your first trail report in December.

I'm glad you enjoy my reports!!! yes it is...still huge amount of snow in many sectors but many snowmobile clubs run out of money..and energy... December have been very tought with big storms and the huge wet snow that had needed many days of work to recover from. I think it would have been a good idea to continue the season a couple week but staying open without grooming is not a good idea...

I will probably post some kind of report of my march beginning trip during the low season... and maybe the first ride of the next season in november??? :spiteful:

Hi Towing ,

Thanks so much for all your Reports ... You are the trail Report Master.

CrazySnow !

My pleasure Crazy!! you too made some "crazy good" reports, alone and team-up with a couple guys here :good:

You succeed to do realtime day reporting which i'm unable to do, my hat to you and a couple others guys here like iceman that doing this :hi:

long life to QR :drinks:

Alain

Thanks for your reports through out the season Alain, you and KriKri are a real team together and big assett to this website, i sure hope you return next year and continue your reports.

All season long i have looked forward to viewing your reports on Monday mornings, Monday mornings have never looked better.

Merci beaucoup Alain

JG

30k on the old girl eh! I tell ya those Yammys just keep going and going and going. 25k on mine now, I'm giving her a new look over the summer, stay tuned.

Thanks for your reports through out the season Alain, you and KriKri are a real team together and big assett to this website, i sure hope you return next year and continue your reports.

All season long i have looked forward to viewing your reports on Monday mornings, Monday mornings have never looked better.

Merci beaucoup Alain

JG

30k on the old girl eh! I tell ya those Yammys just keep going and going and going. 25k on mine now, I'm giving her a new look over the summer, stay tuned.

Thank you JG !!! i'm glad to know you enjoyed following us throught our pics reports. I'm also glad tell you I will post one more in just few minutes!!!

For the sleds, my 4 last sleds experience prooved that the last season with them was always the best one, I just hope it will continue the same way... keeping my fingers crossed.

Can't wait to see your's refreshed new look!!

take care :drinks:

Alain