Trail Conditions 2014

Saguenay Bill

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always look forward to the blue fonts ! Nice report.

I see on the club site the local trail from Chambord to Roberval is listed as closed . We ran across there last week as well. Went up the boat ramp in Roberval, ultramar a few streets away.

We are back at the Roquemont safe and sound.

This morning we leave the Sagueneenne at our normal 8:00 AM. Turn left onto 83 and it wasn't groomed last night but with so little traffic it is still fine. A little overcast today and mild. We turn right onto 368 heading toward Laterriere. Oops! A bump where a farmer cleared a turn around area and blew some snow up onto the trail. I almost forgot what a bump felt like.

We are on our way. After about 45 miles, wow, an oncoming sled. 368 is just as smooth as everything else has been. We get to the junction with 23 and Sandi decides to take a little stretch. She is leading again. I think she is starting to like this lead position. Two sleds come in from the right and take a short break too. They are heading south as we are going to. I motion for them to go first. We waited a few minutes and then took off. Well, it didn't take Sandi too long to catch up to them. But she was polite, slowed down and just hung back a little. It isn't too far to Apica.

We arrive at Apica and the two guys park and go inside. We take a little stretch and speak with the gas attendant. He is ready for spring. He wants to go fishing and not ice fishing. We wish him the best and tell him we will see him next season. There were a few sleds at Apica.

We continue south on 23. Boy this is nice running. We stop at the construction sight at the power lines. There is a flat bed trailer that is being unloaded. It has huge reels of cable on it for the power lines. One of the towers has two new sections in the middle of it that were just put in to raise the tower higher. There is a crane with a cherry picker bucket dangling from the end of the boom. It is extended all the way up to the top of the tower. Upon closer inspection, there are two workers way up there in the bucket re-attaching the cable to the tower. Better them then me!

Enough site seeing. We have a few miles to go yet. We are running down 23 and there is no oncoming traffic. Oh did I forget to mention that 23 has been groomed again. It was fresh groomed Monday when we rode up to the Lac. It is Wednesday today and it was groomed last night and no traffic? Lets count our blessings and keep scooting.

We arrive at L'Etape for lunch. Gas up the sleds first of course. A couple of sleds ahead of us, two. I have my pate poulet, chicken pot pie. I'm getting hooked on these. Sandi has a sandwich. A little relaxation and it is time to carry on.

A few more snowmobilers have pulled in while we were eating. We will get a head start on them. 23 continues to be fine. We stop at the warming hut Lac Ste Anne which is about 40 miles north of St Raymond. I'm looking thru the guest book and notice that the first entry for this year was December 14, 2013. Today is March 26, 2014. Over three months of snowmobiling. Great.

Sandi pokes me and whispers "Look outside". She is pointing behind the sleds. There is a red fox walking across the trail looking at the sleds. He sits himself down on the edge of the trail a couple of hundred feet behind the sleds. He is just sitting there looking over towards the sleds and the warming hut. We watched him for a few minutes and he just sat there. We quietly walked out of the hut, got on the sleds and started them up. He didn't move. We drove away scratching our heads. I wonder if he lives under the hut and we were unwelcome company?

Back on the trail again. It is starting to snow lightly. Oh this is a beautiful way to end the season. Clipping along on 23, a light snow, no traffic and a smooth trail! A very enjoyable ride the rest of the way to St Raymond.

We pull into the parking lot for the Roquemont, look at each other and just smile!

Jack & Sandi

Great report Jack , well described , I was riding along side you as I read it. Glad you beat the lunchtime rush , (ho no we were the lunchtime rush LOL !!!! )

Have a great summer , hope to see you and Sandi again next year all the best

Pat and Gary

Nice! We will be running this on the week-end ourselves....... :drinks:

Thanks Mark. The weather channels are predicting a slight warm up but still some snow in the forecast and the groomers were still out. Enjoy your ride!

Enjoyed that report. When its time to start those long hot summer days that last ride of the season is the one sticks in my mind the most.

Hi Pat. Yes this ride will be remembered because it is so late in the season. It was a real bonus. Sandi and I are glad we pushed ourselves to get away one more time.

Great report Jack , well described , I was riding along side you as I read it. Glad you beat the lunchtime rush , (ho no we were the lunchtime rush LOL !!!! )

Have a great summer , hope to see you and Sandi again next year all the best

Pat and Gary

Hi Pat. You signed first so I'm guessing you made the post. Yes we didn't have to fight to much of a crowd at the lunch stops. Here at the Roquemont, there are more logging trucks than snowmobiles.

Thanks everyone. We hope you got a little enjoyment riding along with us.

Til later,

Jack & Sandi