Trail Conditions 2014

Saguenay Bill

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, made it back home ok, (spent an 1 1/2 hours in Montreal traffic). Thanks again for everything, as always I had a great time. Enjoyed riding with everyone and meeting new riders. Enjoy the rest of the season,

Dave

Glad you got home safe Dave, it was good to see, and talk with you again , hope we bump into each other next year. All the best.

Pat and Gary

Last few days.

Wednesday 182Ray and I rode 240 miles. Went down to Clermont for lunch. 383 and 83 were excellent. Found another lookout on 83.

post-2-0-09240900-1393624800_thumb.jpg

Thursday we rode 110 miles. Got a late start and rode the east end of Lac-St=Jean. Again all trails were perfect.

Friday we rode 140 miles, 93 to Bras Louis, over to Onatchiway for lunch. Then down to 'The Cave" and back to the Delta. Trail were nothing short of great. While at Onatchiway we saw this couple getting ready to head to camp with the weekend's supplies.

post-2-0-07040600-1393878111_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-32898300-1393878182_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-09697900-1393878253_thumb.jpg

Saturday we rode 170 miles. Up to Relais du Lac for coffee, to ScoobyRaid for lunch. Scooby Raid had drag races on the Lake. The local pape reported Patrick Labrecque had a speed of 298 KPH. This was not a record as 307.6 KPH was set in North Bay ON.

Sunday we rode to Roberval. At Desbiens we rode Lac St Jean up to Roberval, 14 miles. The were having the Eastern Pro Ice Oval Racing series event there. Quite the show.

I did not ride Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Spent the time with my wife. Rode 27 straight days, decided to rest a few. Thursday I rode 135 miles solo and today I rode with the manager of the Delta Saguenay, his first time riding a snowmobile. Amazing quilckly how a motorcycle rider can adapt to riding a snowmobile. We rode 150 miles in 5 and 1/2 hours

post-2-0-71002100-1394245009_thumb.jpg

Only 27 days straight??? Jam tart! LOL

Good to see you are introducing new people to our amazing passion. Sure doesn't hurt to take the landlord out for a day of enjoyment.

Great job Bill on the video in the other thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Jack & Sandi here and I mean HERE! Quebec! :good:

We kept reading how much snow is still on the ground so we put work aside and headed north.

We drove up today to St Raymond, Hotel Roquemont. There is snow. It is still mid February by the looks of things. I talked to a couple of guys from Ottawa when we got here. They were just up at Lac St Jean and they said it was great.

Our plan is to ride up to Chicoutimi tomorrow, Monday, and stay at the Sagueneenne. Tuesday we will Tour du Lac. Wednesday we will ride back to St Raymond. A nice three day ride.

We will post tomorrow.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Everyone,

Jack & Sandi here and I mean HERE! Quebec! :good:

We kept reading how much snow is still on the ground so we put work aside and headed north.

We drove up today to St Raymond, Hotel Roquemont. There is snow. It is still mid February by the looks of things. I talked to a couple of guys from Ottawa when we got here. They were just up at Lac St Jean and they said it was great.

Our plan is to ride up to Chicoutimi tomorrow, Monday, and stay at the Sagueneenne. Tuesday we will Tour du Lac. Wednesday we will ride back to St Raymond. A nice three day ride.

We will post tomorrow.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack and Sandi,

Glad to see you could get another ride in, looking forward to your reports. Let us know Jack how many miles you end up with on your new sled. Enjoy!

Dave

Hi Jack and Sandi

we're so envious , even Pat is itching to ride again!! She was looking at flights for this week but unfortunately it's a non starter.

Enjoy , and have a brilliant time !!!!!!!!

Gary

Nice work Jack and Sandi!

May as well ride when you can! It is an amazing year thats for sure!

Looking forward to your trail report!

Linda

Hi everyone,

It is as good as you have been reading. We left the Roquemont this morning and the groomer had returned from L'Etape overnight. A freshly groomed trail all the way to lunch. Two sleds at L'Etape in addition to ours. Very little traffic.

After lunch, we continue up 23 and same thing, the trail is freshly groomed. We did see a few sleds after L'Etape, maybe ten. Up past the construction at the power line towers and just cruising to Relais Mt. Apica. Absolutely perfect. Blue sky over our heads and snowmobiles under us.

As we pull in to Apica, three 2-up sleds are pulling out heading north. We chat with the gas attendant at Apica for a little while to put some distance between us and the 2-uppers. Who knows, maybe they were running faster than us anyways? The attendant tells us it was -34C (-30F) this morning up at Lac St Jean. Oh I forgot to mention, my new sled doesn't like to start In the cold. I had to borrow jumper cables this morning to get it to start. Third or fourth time this year. What's up SkiDoo? Its a snowmobile, heh! Oh well.

On our way up 23 to the junction with 368, I'm thinking maybe we will stay on 23 if its groomed and 368 isn't. We pull up to the junction and - 368 is groomed. No decision here, we turn right onto 368. Another gorgeous trail. Sandi's been leading since lunch. Sometimes it is nice just sitting back here letting someone else lead. A sled is coming towards us and motions with his hand another sled is behind him. We back off a little, no sled following? We run another mile or so and oh-oh, there is an Artic Cat off in the poof. Looks like he got his right ski over the bank and he couldn't negotiate the left turn. He looks as old as me. He's got grey hair. We stop and give him a hand digging the sled out. About half way thru the dig, his buddy comes back looking for him. We pop the Cat back up on the trail and bid farewell.

We are running on 368 and at the junction with 383 south, we meet a groomer coming towards us. We pass and now we are the first on the groomed trail. It just keeps getting better. We get to the junction of 83 and turn left to go to Chicoutimi. This is in great shape too. There isn't a track on the trail yet. We are first again. About halfway to Chicoutimi and here is the groomer on his return run. We give him a wave as we pass.

We get to the turn off for the Sagueneenne and yes, you guessed it, the groomer turns around here. Better than that, he groomed the cul-de-sac all the way to the hotel.

The close of the day with the kind of ride you dream about. Groomed trail from door to door with beautiful weather conditions.

Time to relax and think about tomorrow's Tour du Lac.

Til later,

Jack & Sandi

Nice report Jack. What model SkiDoo you riding this year (that won't start in the cold)?

And what is the Sagueneene Hotel like, I've never seen it?

Sorry I didn't get to see you and Sandi this year.

Mike

Enjoy Jack.......it's not every year we get to ride this late.

Hi J.G., Very unusual to be able to ride this late. Got to take advantage of it while we can.

Hi Jack and Sandi,

Glad to see you could get another ride in, looking forward to your reports. Let us know Jack how many miles you end up with on your new sled. Enjoy!

Dave

Hi Dave, We're at 5,000 miles for the year. This trip will add a little over 600 more. It has been a great year.

Hi Jack and Sandi

we're so envious , even Pat is itching to ride again!! She was looking at flights for this week but unfortunately it's a non starter.

Enjoy , and have a brilliant time !!!!!!!!

Gary

Hi Gary & Pat, It is nice being able to get away even if it is a short trip but well worth it.

Nice work Jack and Sandi!

May as well ride when you can! It is an amazing year thats for sure!

Looking forward to your trail report!

Linda

Hi Linda, Looks like you found good snow out on Gaspe too. Crazy year. Love those Artic vortecs or whatever they call them.

I can't figure out how to get my blue pen on the multi-quotes? Oh well.

Jack & Sandi

Nice report Jack. What model SkiDoo you riding this year (that won't start in the cold)?

And what is the Sagueneene Hotel like, I've never seen it?

Sorry I didn't get to see you and Sandi this year.

Mike

Hi Mike, It is a Renegade with the 800 E-tec. It doesn't like the cold. Ray had a no start situation too with his when we went on the saddlebag trip earlier this season.

The Sagueneenne is in Chicoutimi. It is just under 10 miles from the Delta heading east on trail 83. We flip flop between the two hotels.

www.lasagueneene.com

looks like nice digs !

Hi Randy, It is nice. The Sagueneenne has a pool, hot tub, good restaurant and three tents for the sleds. There is a gas station on the way in from 83. We like trying different places.

Great place & excellent food.

Hi Tom, Sounds like you've stayed here before too.

Jack & Sandi

A little update from yesterday. Oh how I like my blue pen.

I had asked the attendant at Apica about the work that is being done on the power lines between Apica and L'Etape?

He said that some of the transmission lines were too close to the ground. The workers are replacing some of the towers with taller towers. He also said there is a new power line that is going to connect this line with an existing line to the east past route 175. He said a lot of the work is done during the winter when the ground is frozen. There is a lot of swampy area that can't be accessed during the rest of the year.

I remember when we drove down 175 in the truck the end of February I saw a clear cut thru the woods.

Today's ride report follows.

Jack & Sandi

This morning we leave the hotel for the Tour du Lac. 83 is fine. Another nice start. Sandi is in the lead and I'm just sitting back here enjoying the ride. Everything is so smooth. Even the short stretch of 83 that passes on Lac Kenogami had been groomed a few days ago. I don't remember this being groomed in a long time. We continue on 83. A little bit of drifting on the south side of Lac St Jean in the Desbiens area but not much. It had been groomed but there are big opened fields and enough powder to blow around.

We take the short cut across the Lac from Chambord to Roberval. This hasn't been groomed but is still pretty good. We pop up in Roberval and gas up at the Ultramar.

We are heading to Relais des Buttes for lunch in St Felicien. Sandi wants to stay on 373 instead of crossing east to the local yellow trails. We don't know if the river crossing is OK from the local trail back to Relais des Buttes. 373 thru St Prime and north is prime. This was groomed last night and hardly a sled has been on it. We pull in to Relais des Buttes and no one is here. The Ouvert sign is illuminated but the door is locked. Upon closer inspection reading the sign with the hours, we are enlightened. Note to myself, Relais des Buttes is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays!

Second note to myself, the river crossing from Relais des Buttes heading east is closed. We pull out the map and decide we will continue our journey north on 373. About a mile or so north of the Relais there is a new trail heading east labeled for Normandin and St Methode. Ah ha. This must a new link to get over to the yellow trails. We take it and sure enough we are back on the local trail east of the Relais.

We go thru St Methode and head toward Dolbeau. This yellow trail is one of the nicest little secrets up here. Flat, smooth and gentle turns thru the stands of white birch trees. So beautiful. We turn right on 93 to cross the Riviere Mistassini and another right on 367. Just a little further to arrive at Relais Vauvert for our second attempt at lunch.

We pull in to the parking lot and no one is here but I do notice the door is propped open a little. Yes they are open. We enter and realize why the door was propped open, it must by 80F in here. If you have ever been here you know how many glass windows are here. The sun is pouring in and it is hot.

The lady asks if we have seen any sleds lately? I said no there hasn't been much traffic. The last sled we saw was back in Roberval. She said she hasn't seen anyone either. We are her first customers. Note to myself, Relais Vauvert is closed on Mondays! Today is Tuesday.

We have lunch and relax a little but not too long. Afraid we will get cooked in the heat. As we walk out of the relais, two more sleds pull in. Two women out for an afternoon ride. They had come from the direction we are heading in. They said the trails are great. We told them the same thing heading towards St Felicien and Roberval. Nothing but perfection!

Sandi and I stay on 367 / 93 thru St Monique and then turn left to stay on 367 thru the blueberry fields. Lovely. We drop down to L'Ascension and tank up with fuel. We make a U-turn to continue on 367 and then just before Relais des Lacs we head south on the local trail to pick up 93 to St Ambroise. We notice that these local trails now have numbers. This one I think was 554. I don't remember the signs earlier this year?

In St Ambroise we turn right to stay on 367 to the two dams. This hasn't been groomed in awhile. If anything was not to be in tip top shape it was this part of 367. It has been rough many times over the past few years and today is no different. It is not horrible, but after so many miles of greatness it is so-so.

It is only a few miles to the dams. We cross the first dam and yes the groomer was here. For the rest of the ride it is back to very, very nice.

In at 5 PM and the sun is still high in the sky. Time to relax. Tomorrow we head back down 23 to St Raymond.

Jack & Sandi