Quest to the West

Florida Snowman

Drove up to the Escapade Monday afternoon. Tuesday morning picked up my ride from Motos Thibault in Trois Rivieres. Got back to the Escapade & loaded up the sleds. Got on the trail at 11:00am. Cruised up M19 Maurice River to Mekinac. Had about 2" of power on it. Fine to run. No overheating problems. Continued up M19 to the 360. I always dread this section of 360. It was a 10/10 on Tuesday! Took the gas in Rivière-Matawin. Flew up the 360 to 345 & to the Repos & gassed up. Took Highway 66 (Kanawata Express) & lunched at Kanawata. After lunch took 345 (one of my top ten sections in Quebec) up to 83. This was freshly groomed & did not disappoint. Took the western spur up to Barrage Gouin since the eastern spur is closed this year due to a property owner who wanted $$$. Got in to Gouin after sunset with 290 miles on the dream meter & cold.

Drove up to the Escapade Monday afternoon. Tuesday morning picked up my ride from Motos Thibault in Trois Rivieres. Got back to the Escapade & loaded up the sleds. Got on the trail at 11:00am. Cruised up M19 Maurice River to Mekinac. Had about 2" of power on it. Fine to run. No overheating problems. Continued up M19 to the 360. I always dread this section of 360. It was a 10/10 on Tuesday! Took the gas in Rivière-Matawin. Flew up the 360 to 345 & to the Repos & gassed up. Took Highway 66 (Kanawata Express) & lunched at Kanawata. After lunch took 345 (one of my top ten sections in Quebec) up to 83. This was freshly groomed & did not disappoint. Took the western spur up to Barrage Gouin since the eastern spur is closed this year due to a property owner who wanted $$$. Got in to Gouin after sunset with 290 miles on the dream meter & cold.

Little fired up Tom! 290miles starting at 11am, not to shabby! Have fun! me and Eric will be at the Escapade Sat or Sun heading out for the week, still not sure which direction yet

Edited by Jackstraw

Little fired up Tom! 290miles starting at 11am, not to shabby! Have fun! me and Eric will be at the Escapade Sat or Sun heading out for the week, still not sure which direction yet

Fired up!! That's an understatement the guy was clearly on crack 290 miles from 11am those trails had to have been real sweet Tom.

Trailering to Location Maximun in Grand Mere tomorrow morning heading up to the Delta and beyond.

Edited by Trailblazer

Florida Snowman.....do you rent from Motos Thibault? If so...may I ask what their rates are? I have my own sled but have considered renting if I bring the wife up? Does anyone have experience with Maximum Aventure in Shawinigan/Grand Mere? Thanks for the info. We will be the Escapade in 2 weeks.

Florida Snowman.....do you rent from Motos Thibault? If so...may I ask what their rates are? I have my own sled but have considered renting if I bring the wife up? Does anyone have experience with Maximum Aventure in Shawinigan/Grand Mere? Thanks for the info. We will be the Escapade in 2 weeks.

Tom has his own sled, I beleive he leaves it there. We rented a 1200 from them last year for a week, New sled said they would drop off and pick up for free from the Escapade. Well after the week they came to pick it up and wanted to charge him for pick up and delivery and charge him an extra day of rental when it clearly stated Sat to Sat. After a phone call got it all cleared up. The worst part was the kid had no idea how to load the sled in the back of the pick up. He proceded to bury the sled in the ditch in front of the hotel for 45 minutes. Snow up to your nips, just what we wanted to do after a 1600 mile loop!

Moto Thibault does not do Rentals. Maximum Adventure is the closet to Shawinigan area with rentals, I have heard they rent all 4 brands of sled. There is one guy there speaks good english to help you out.

Day 2: Left Barrage Gouin late as my Yamapig wouldn't start. -36F. Jean lent me his jump pack & after cranking for 10 minutes my XTX came to life. 29 miles down the western spur of Gouin. Rode 83 west. Had lunch in Clova with Dominic. Got to Lac Faillon & took gas. Continued on towards Val d'Or for 30 minutes & turned back to Lac Faillon. It was dark & we were getting cold! Only rooms left were in the basement. We gladly took them. Very surprised. Never been downstairs. 4 finished bedrooms & 1.5 baths. Good for us!

Day 3: Woke up to an international equal. -41C equals -41F. And that's what we had! Of course my Yamapig wouldn't start. 15 minutes of cranking with a commercial battery charger from Peter the owner got me running & we were off. Took 83 west to the Louvicourt shortcut. Sweet trail. Fast & groomed perfectly. Took gas in Louvicourt & headed north to Senneterre. Took another of my favorite trails 93 west to La Sarre. Amazing riding! Slept at Villa mon Repos. Great place. Never stayed there before but would again.

Day 4: Left La Sarre before sunrise to a balmy -22F. Yamaha started first attempt. Jim had suggested 87 octane starts better in cold temps than high test. It worked! Go figure. Headed north on the rail bed to La Reine. Crossed the tressel bridge into Ontario A105Q. Ungroomed on Ontario side. Why? Cochrane is only a tank away. Maybe they have no way of turning around a groomer on a rail bed.

My brakes on the Apex had been getting very soft & not locking up track above 40mph. Pads needed. Pierre.....shame on you! Got to Amos & Hurricana Adventures Yamaha changed the pads & we were off. (Lost 3 hrs). Then rode a lot of the orange trails & headed to Val d'Or & Forestel. Just pigged out on a great dinner. Snowing now. Got about 2-3 inches. Later................

Nice Run, go easy on Pierre, don't make him mad. With cold like you saw it just aint easy to get em going. Maybe time for a coolant heater. Plug it in in the morning before you have breakfast and go. Or all night long. Can't hurt.

We use the hair dryer to warm up ours

10 mins of heat and we were able to start

We use the hair dryer to warm up ours

10 mins of heat and we were able to start

Day 5: Left Forestel in Val d'Or to 3" of fresh powder. Took gas in Louvicourt & headed down 386 thru Reserve La Verendrye. Topped off fuel at Relais Kitcisakik & cruised down to TQ 63. Dropped down off the 63 to La Verendrye Lodge & had a great lunch & gassed up. Continued on 63 east to Mont-Laurier & the Comfort Inn. Left 8:30am & in at 5:00pm with an hour lunch. 307 miles. That my friends is how good the trails are!!!

Day 6: Left Mont-Laurier 7:30am. No breakfast. An Irving Berlin Day! All sunshine. Ran the Petit Train du Nord trail making fresh tracks all the way to Labelle. Took 323 north breaking trail all the way up to 63 again & crossed the Parc du Mont-Tremblant. Gassed up in Saint-Michelle-des-Saints & caught the 23 east after Le Cabanon. Took 23 east all the way back to the Escapade in Shawinigan. All trails were excellent today except for the area around Saint Zenon as expected on a sunday afternoon.

Overall a fantastic 6 days of riding! 1620 miles of smiles!

Get up here people-------NOW is the time!

Snowman out.

Day 5: Left Forestel in Val d'Or to 3" of fresh powder. Took gas in Louvicourt & headed down 386 thru Reserve La Verendrye. Topped off fuel at Relais Kitcisakik & cruised down to TQ 63. Dropped down off the 63 to La Verendrye Lodge & had a great lunch & gassed up. Continued on 63 east to Mont-Laurier & the Comfort Inn. Left 8:30am & in at 5:00pm with an hour lunch. 307 miles. That my friends is how good the trails are!!!

That trail makes for an easy easy easy 300 miles in a day, sing that tune. We usually leave from Goddards in L'Annociation to Grand Remous and up to Val D'Or by that trail and it gives us close to 400 and always in before 6. If it's groomed well you can't miss.

Nice loop you did Tom, thanks for reporting.

Safe ride home

Edited by Trailblazer

Nice Run, go easy on Pierre, don't make him mad. With cold like you saw it just aint easy to get em going. Maybe time for a coolant heater. Plug it in in the morning before you have breakfast and go. Or all night long. Can't hurt.

Maybe he did make Pierre mad (which would explain the pads)?

Rhockin' I had him put warmers in mine, I was surprised we didn't need them last week, but it's a confidence builder to have them.