riding in extreme cold , under garment tips wanted

clk1x

I have had 3 pair of Bilodeau's boots over the past 25 years. I wear them 50+ days a year. They aren't cheap but they are quality.

Bill has made an excellent point. If you are planning to snowmobile around Quebec, the first thing you have to be prepared for is the unexpected. Whether that be freezing rain, or brutal cold that a lot of QuebecRiders are talking about this winter. You have to have quality clothing, quality clothing is not cheap!! Spend a little bit more up front, you will never regret buying high quality snowmobile clothing when Quebec deals you and unexpected card!!

Just my opinion

I run a combination of choko inner layer and jacket with $$$ Klim Bibs and Gloves. One thing I can say about my experience with Klim, their rain / wind protection is excellent with less bulk but you are going to pay more. Also have full leather top and bottom but usually reserve that for the Harley as it feels like it's made of lead.

The largest windshield you can buy is the best way to stay warm by far!!!!

My 2 cents,

BJ

I tested some gear last week in Quebec in the cold weather they were having. On the coldest days I wore a thin compression poly/spandex bottom and Cabela’s E.C.W.C.S. Polartec polar weight bottoms over them. On top of that I had a Klim mid layer and bibs. I was imprested enough with the Cabela’s polar weight I ordered the matching top. With a couple different base weight layers in my pack I can adjust for the varying temperatures as needed. A lot of the poly/spandex stuff fits to tight for me so I end up with larger sizes than I normally would. If you want to mix and match you need to try the different combinations out ahead of time to see if the layers will fit over each other .

Oh yes on my ride I have the Ultra High windshield and cold guards for my hands and had the cowl vents duck taped closed and.......

Another opinion.

• 8 months later...

Regarding layering.......2 seasons ago we awoke to some -30F days.

Although I have a late model insulated Klim suit (forget the exact model of Klim) AND what I thought was sufficient layering, I was cold on some days. My base layer is thin....sufficient most times, excluding the extreme scenario.

I thought being cold was the new sled (at the time) ....and that may be partially true. Regardless, being cold is no fun.

So I recently researched layering and stumbled on to some new Under Armour "Extreme" (5.0) base layer products. Finally found them at a local source and tried them on.....along side some Under Armour 3.0 base layer.

I went with one set of the UA Extreme (5.0) base layer. It's thicker than my current base layering products and it should be quite a bit warmer.

Paid about $68 for each top and bottom. Hopefully it lasts and is as warm as I suspect it will be.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-ua-base-50-scent-control-long-sleeve/pid1231167

post-1631-0-05243300-1446344274.jpg

post-1631-0-68692300-1446344278.jpg

UA Extreme is good. Klim makes good base layering stuff too. I have some heavy base layer stuff from REI and R U Outside. I also have a pair of PolarTec sweat pants for the coldest of days. I accidentally found Icebreaker skiing socks and those are essential and are made to stay over your calf. I order new ones as soon as the older ones start to wear out.

Under Armor layering is awesome comfortable and awesome warm. We got our last die hard cotton wearing guy to go Under Armor last year. I suspect no turning back for either of them. I have a drawer full of UA wannabes and nothing comes close, (well the smart wool stuff is actually a bit better but 2X the cost).

Edited by markusvt

I have some Helly Hanson, Choko, and RU Outside base layers varing wieghts, all good quality. 90% of the time that is all I wear under my suit.

When buying base layer the old adage is very true: "You get what you pay for"!! The good stuff is expensive. However when you pull out of Chibougamau and hit the rail line at -40° C/F it is worth it.

When I do multiday snowmobile trips I always pack a couple different weight base layers, it is not good to be wearing super warm on a -5° day. I also try to never wear a base layer more than twice before washing it.

Under Armor layering is awesome comfortable and awesome warm. We got our last die hard cotton wearing guy to go Under Armor last year. I suspect no turning back for either of them. I have a drawer full of UA wannabes and nothing comes close, (well the smart wool stuff is actually a bit better but 2X the cost).

X2 I use Under Armour 3.0 works outstanding. Also I bought the Ski Doo Absolute 0 Jacket last year and I can say without a doubt it is the warmest and most comfortable jacket I have owned and I have had Reima, Klim and Motorfist and The Doo Absolute Zero is it......... Also my favorite Bibs are the Motorfist Insulated Redline Bibs that have the Event technology , they are warmer and more comfortable than the Klim Keewenaw bibs I had. Favorite gloves are Klim Fusion which feature 2 different layers of insulation for warmer days or extreme cold days. And as others have said gauntlets and a real windshield are a must in Quebec.

I'm the old school guy. Cotton shorts, cotton T shirt, fleece pants, fleece pull over,, tech vest, Choko Adventurer Jacket, and Choko Extreme Corura Pants good to -20F. Below -20F I had a Choko Liner. Bilodeau Seal Boots and Bilodeau Beaver Mitts, no fag bays necessary.

I should have clarified........ 3-4 years ago I can't really say I was ever cold when riding in Quebec........my gear was good but heavy (old school sweatshirts, jeans, etc etc). However, I felt like the Michelin Man (too little mobility of arms/legs/core and generally kind of uncomfortable due to so much clothing, etc....).

So, I got greedy and not only wanted to be warm, but ALSO have much better mobility when fully geared up. So I started the non-cotton layering system coupled with new Klim suit....but I think I struck out in the extreme cold days with too thin of a base layer. Also, my gut instinct is even though I bought Klim's "warmest" suit.....I'm thinking I should have done the Absolute Zero from Doo as I hear (from multiple folks) that it's the real deal.

So, we'll see how the new UA 5.0 does on the coldest trips.....as I think it'll help me achieve the right warmth, and when combined with the rest of the layering system/Klim suit, reasonable mobility/comfort.

Think Snow!!!!

Edited by im4snow