First death of the season!

Andyman

Publié le 21 décembre 2015 à 00h30 | Mis à jour à 00h30

Snowmobiler found dead on Monts Valin
1108767-policiers-quitte-motoneige-parti

The police left by snowmobile from the Auberge du Km 31.

PHOTO THE DAILY, MARIANE L. ST-GELAIS

1068505.png
JULIEN RENAUD
The Daily

A snowmobiler was found dead by his neighbor's cottage, Sunday afternoon, the ZEC Martin-Valin.The man reportedly hit a tree, before making his last breath. Remontrerait to his death Saturday.

1108773-johnny-verville-appele-autorites

Enlarge

Johnny Verville called authorities when the individual who made the gruesome discovery has broken out in the Auberge du Km 31.

PHOTO THE DAILY, MARIANE L. ST-GELAIS

Due to communication problems and weather conditions on Monts Valin, the spokesman for the Surete du Quebec, Anne Mathieu, was only a few disclosures, late evening, not indeed of up to confirm the death.

"Communications are extremely difficult. It's very far into the woods. I can only speak of a potentially fatal collision, whose deaths date back yesterday (Saturday). The call came in around 14 h 45. This is a citizen called to say that a man had found her in poor condition cottage neighbor next to his snowmobile near a tree. But I can confirm anything tonight, "she admitted, 22 to 30 hours, while the police were preparing to return from the scene of the accident.

The Daily has spent much of the evening in the ZEC Martin-Valin.Indeed, the road conditions are difficult in the area, especially during a snow shower. Moreover, it is impossible to use a cellular signal up to the accident, nearly 64 km on the road L -200.

Since the police intervention was held back in the woods, it was difficult to learn about the accident. However, within 31 km of the hostel, which serves as a relay for snowmobiles, the man who alerted the authorities agreed to share his story.

"This is a man I know. It comes from the area and is aged in her sixties. It is a trapper. I was here [in the relay] when someone said they found a dead body on a trail near his cottage, and it was me who phoned the police. They were shocked a little surprised, "reported Johnny Verville.

According to the snowmobile, the victim would have heart problems. "That surprises me. He knows very well the trails. He was found next to a tree, frozen, with blood all around. He had hit the tree. He may have felt unwell. This is someone who has a cottage near who found it, "he added, joining the version put forward by the Sûreté du Québec.

"I know him well. I look forward to the results of the survey to find out what really happened. It's sad, "concluded Mr. Verville, which is off track snowmobile guide in Monts Valin.

Snowmobile Accidents

As the season of snowmobiling has just taken off, with the first snow falls, it is already a first death to list. For the few snowmobilers interviewed yesterday, it is important to be very careful, even for the most experienced.

One look at the archives of the Daily and Sunday-Progress shows that three snowmobilers were killed in 2015 in the area trails.

Every year in Quebec, approximately 1,000 people suffer injuries in the course of activities ATV or snowmobile. About 250 of these injuries are described as serious and train an average of 25 deaths.

On 1 April 2015, a record number of snowmobilers were killed in just four months, as the season was not quite over. Thirty-four people died between December and April in a snowmobile accident, including three children.

In Quebec, each snowmobile three times more likely to be involved in a fatal crash than a car, despite its much more restricted in time and distance.

Edited by markusvt

According to Markusvt article it seems this guy might have had a medical issue that caused this accident. They are thinking heart attack leading to crash.

Either way bad deal.

Another accident today.

Right near this same place.

Woman broken leg.

So sad, that didn't take very long. It always amazes me every year how gun ho everyone is to ride early on rocks and mud. Then come March with deep base and longer days there is no one around. I'll take the later.

Don't forget my number, I'm there...

Thanks for sharing the translated article Markusvt. Doesn't sound like it was in any way preventable but it is still a sad and tragic occurrence - especially coming at this time of year. RIP fellow snowmobiler.

So sad, that didn't take very long. It always amazes me every year how gun ho everyone is to ride early on rocks and mud. Then come March with deep base and longer days there is no one around. I'll take the later.

Agree 100% Jackstraw. Well said.

Just had our first here in NB last night.

Andy

Man killed in snowmobile crash
December 22, 2015
Bathurst, New Brunswick
News release
A 29-year-old Bathurst man was killed after being ejected from his snowmobile on December 21, 2015, just before midnight.
The crash occurred when the victim lost control of his snowmobile while attempting to make a turn, resulting in the machine colliding with a tree. The man was travelling as part of a group when the crash occurred on a trail near Route 340, west of Bathurst, between California Lake and the Rogers Lake Lodge.
The investigation is ongoing.

Always sad, but looks more medical than hotrodding. Have gone there before Xmas for the last 10 years and have never seen any rocks or mud. On the other hand always have to wash my sled from the muddy parking lots I have found there spring riding. You are right on about the traffic, If you dont know the side trails and camp roads it is a real zoo if its the only place that has snow.Lets all hope its a safe winter and the snow hurrys up and piles up everywhere.