Gaspe conditions?

MXZ700RIDER

Andy, Nice run, did you encounter low snow or plowed roads? Appears to be 24 air miles, was it 35 or 40 road miles? Lots of fun doing those short cuts for sure! Enjoy!

attachicon.gif20160214_093620.jpg

I had a route made up ahead of time and planned to ride the off trail route from years past. Started out on a signed trail maybe VTT I don't know, then we came to logging operations and plowed roads. Had about an inch of new snow and after 30km we came to the route I originally thought we could do and it was an even bigger plowed road! LOL At this point we are at the decision time. Do we turn around and ride the garbage we just rode on or do we continue to head west toward Murdochville. Some of the group wanted to go back but the way I looked at it was it is 42 km to Murdochville and good snow there and behind us was bare ground at Gran Vallee and garbage near River Renard so west it is. We just went slow and pulled off when we had the chance to cool things down. About 15 km before we would have rejoined the 597 we stopped to give the sleds a break and as we sat there I noticed a woods road leading to the north west in the direction of Murdochville. So Andyman spends a few minutes in silence studying his gps and then I announce to the group I think we can take these wood roads and get to Murdochville! Again there was some reluctance to leave the road even though it was bad. But the way I looked at it was there are tracks on this wood road and there are no other communities around other than Murdochville and we can always come back and ride the plowed road if it doesn't work out. After a few km I realize that we headed straight toward Murdochville and at each split in the road I picked the one that had the most tracks and in the right direction . So we continue and as I come around a turn I see a blue sign for the Copper and a VTT trail! At this point I am grinning inside my helmet and now the boys give me the big thumbs up! LOL

Andy

I had a route made up ahead of time and planned to ride the off trail route from years past. Started out on a signed trail maybe VTT I don't know, then we came to logging operations and plowed roads. Had about an inch of new snow and after 30km we came to the route I originally thought we could do and it was an even bigger plowed road! LOL At this point we are at the decision time. Do we turn around and ride the garbage we just rode on or do we continue to head west toward Murdochville. Some of the group wanted to go back but the way I looked at it was it is 42 km to Murdochville and good snow there and behind us was bare ground at Gran Vallee and garbage near River Renard so west it is. We just went slow and pulled off when we had the chance to cool things down. About 15 km before we would have rejoined the 597 we stopped to give the sleds a break and as we sat there I noticed a woods road leading to the north west in the direction of Murdochville. So Andyman spends a few minutes in silence studying his gps and then I announce to the group I think we can take these wood roads and get to Murdochville! Again there was some reluctance to leave the road even though it was bad. But the way I looked at it was there are tracks on this wood road and there are no other communities around other than Murdochville and we can always come back and ride the plowed road if it doesn't work out. After a few km I realize that we headed straight toward Murdochville and at each split in the road I picked the one that had the most tracks and in the right direction . So we continue and as I come around a turn I see a blue sign for the Copper and a VTT trail! At this point I am grinning inside my helmet and now the boys give me the big thumbs up! LOL

Andy

Awesome story, that is very satisfying and fun to work the gps and your riding knowledge and have it work out so you don't have to back track. Sounds like marginal conditions at the lower elevation levels. Thanks for sharing he details!

Awesome! Keep the local roads and TrakMaps running?

And isn't "I KNOW A SHORT CUT!" one of the top 5 lies in sledding?...

We have enough gas!...

The ice is thick enough!...

They changed the trail!...

And my personal fav: I have a GREAT idea!...