GT Rider's 2016 Trip

GT Rider

This Is the brief version. Pics and maps when I get home.

Sunday 2/21 Manawaki to Lake Trout.

This one is easy just stay on 63. Maniwaki to Domane 87 miles. Fueled up and off to La Verandrye to make a reservation. It is 65 miles to La Verandrye from Domane. The trail was rerouted as Mid Range posted. We got our reservation and toped off fuel now off to Trout Lake. It's 8 miles back to 63 and 75 miles to Trout Lake. The trail conditions were basically the same for the 231 miles. Plenty of fresh powder. For most of the day it was like breaking trail. We saw very little traffic.

Monday 2/22 Lake Trout to Temiscaming

We leave Lake Trout and go 36 miles to Belleterre for fuel. More of the same conditions. Now west of Belleterre the powder is gone and the trail is nice. We take 63 west to the T intersection and go north on to 303 to 83 south to orange local to Ville Marie.

Then we take 63 north back to 303 south to 63 south all the way to Temiscaming. 242 miles with a nice portion of white carpet. All good over here. We had a wolf running on the rail bed ahead of us just north of Kipawa.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuesday 2/23 Temiscaming to La Verandrye

We take 63 for 5 miles to 43 east. The first 5 miles is plowed road. Then it goes down hill. 121 miles to RDJ of beat trail. While we gas up a guy tells me the trail condition does not get better on 386. So off we go 101.5 miles of ungroomed trail. The snow conditions are good. The trails need to be groomed.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy to be here. I am just giving a trail report.

Finished with 227 miles

We take 63 for 5 miles to 43 east. The first 5 miles is plowed road. Then it goes down hill. 121 miles to RDJ of beat trail. While we gas up a guy tells me the trail condition does not get better on 386. So off we go 101.5 miles of ungroomed trail. The snow conditions are good. The trails need to be groomed.

Finished with 227 miles

Damn. hang on Gemma i feel your pain. Hang in there I know you will find some better running.

Sending you good vibes. Push on.

Finished with 227 miles

Wow, yes a tough one two up run. Wish you better luck next for the conditions... In my case I plan to continue east on the #83

Wednesday 2/24 La Verandrye to Maniwaki

We leave La Verandrye north on 386 and it is perfect. We then take 63 east. The heavy powder we saw Sunday is now transformed into a perfect white carpet. Going south on 63 just after the first crossing of route 117 we spot another wolf. We bypass gas at Domaine and head for Classic. 63 is perfect all the way to Classic 111 miles we gas up. We continue south on 63 and spot two guys cooking hot dogs and buns over a trail side fire. Iceman this tops the trail side chats you've posted about. We take 322 south from 63. It is perfect. It starts to snow about 10 miles down. We then take the orange local to Blackrollaway. We get on 308 to 13 to 63. All but a small section of 308 was perfect. Hats off to the Ours Blancs club for the perfect trails. 220 miles today.

Hot Dogs and probably pabst blue ribbons, pretty sure they were from Ontario. Trailside fire lunch I seen that action before, and it was out west there. Some Ontario guys. Too funny.

Sounds like a great day of riding for Team GT. Happy to hear it.

Finished with 227 miles

Wow you guys are real troopers to take on that battle, hats off to both of you.

Thursday 2/25 Maniwaki to Clova.

We take 13 toward Mont- Laurier. After the snow, freezing rain event there is a hard crust over 6 inches of powder. We take local 225 to local 228 to Devils Mountain. After lunch we then take the local 228 to 13 and gas up at Ferme-Neuve 76 miles. We take 13 to local 226 past the closed Windigo to local 228 to 322. Going north on 322 I see a sign for a detour. We go down a plowed road for several miles we see no signs. I se a vtt trail and jump on. We a breaking trail for several miles when we see that there is logging going on. No workers were there so I continue I can see on the gps we are close to 322. Back on 322 to local 236 past Rabaska. We cross the Gatineau River and get on the wood runners trail. We come across 3 guys trying to get a sled out of a ditch. I offer to help. They were good. We gas up at pensive 79 miles. The 3 guys pull up as we go. The trail has tons of snow single line up the middle. As we pass Evasion I hear the sound of a bearing going. I reduce speed 50 miles out from Clova. I get 20 miles and something lets go. Just then the 3 guys pull up. We hitch a ride to Clova. Dominic lets me use his Expediton with a toboggan I go get my machine. 3:00am sleep time.

2/26 Friday

I open the chain case and find pieces of seal from the track shaft bearing.

It's black trail time. Working on transport back to Maniwaki.

Always an adventure.

Very sorry for you, but at least it is mechanical and you nicely manage to get out of trouble without having to walk which can be a very long walk in those territory...

I whish you the best for coming back to the truck and retrieve the sled back. Always an adventure as you write!

Edited by towing

GT rider,

I always enjoy reading your posts and am sorry to hear of your problem. I'm glad you got help when you needed it. I wish you good luck on your final solution, I'm sure you've got a lot of people rooting for you.

Jeff and Sandy