Satellite Phone Rentals

viper2

Planning a trip in a few weeks on the Adventure bikes and want to rent a SAT phone. Where is the best place to rent?

I've tried three or four of them and haven't had a problem, but its been a few years. I usually do a google search. Shipping charges and prepaid airtime really up the price, so you need to be careful. It may be $30 per week for the phone, but then you have to pay $40 shipping each way, and purchase $75 of prepaid minutes. Some also have an activation fee.

Thanks guys, plan to leave July 30th probably crossing into Quebec on the 31st. I saw an old post from last year about the border being busy on those dates something about a work shutdown is that the case every year?

we are planning on running the Trans- Labrador highway and that is why we want the SAT phone. I saw where they will give you a loaner for free but it is only programmed for emergency numbers

Thanks Trailblazer, will only spend a night or two in Quebec this time. Plan to take the North Shore out then up to the Manic 5 then up to Labrador and Newfoundland, take the ferry to Nova Scotia then to Maine and down the coast

Thanks Trailblazer, will only spend a night or two in Quebec this time. Plan to take the North Shore out then up to the Manic 5 then up to Labrador and Newfoundland, take the ferry to Nova Scotia then to Maine and down the coast

Wow I am super excited for your group. What an awesome adventure. Please let us know how it goes. Wish I could go too.

http://www.mobal.com

I have used these guys for years.

Have fun!

Tom[/quote

Good company. Tom I've used them a few times myself

Sat. Phones are wonderful tools for reverse tracking for location. Keep the battery out if you're concerned of remote power up for a drone strike.

Hopefully your summer is well Africa hot in the south

• 4 months later...
17 minutes ago, Trailblazer said:

Spectacular Viper2

you are a very lucky man to take on a trip like that even more so with you wife. Very lucky you are!

That is for sure Trailblazer, I am blessed

12 hours ago, JBlavl said:

What did you go with for a SAT phone on your trip and how did you like it? Fees come out to be what they show on their website?

We went with the Mobal, everything was spelled out on the website and it worked well although we didn't end up using the phone at all.  The directions for use were easy to follow everything came in a carrying case with an extra battery and when I got home I just had to drop it at a Fed EX drop off site and the shipping was included