This guy got 600 in fines for no QC plate

DeGreg

From rkaiza from another site-- This happened to him on the river in Shawinigan

"Sit back and read. Was heading up to richards on the river with my girlfreind. About two thirds of the way there i passed PD. runnin raider, no problem. We were goin 45. About five min later they pulled us over. They asked for my reg. which i gladly provided for both my sleds. They said were is my plate. i said i am from the states and do not have a plate. The said i need a plate and the trail permit is not sufficient. I explained that i have ridden in the quebec province for the past 4 years, having many reg. checks by the PD on the trail with never a problem.I asked what i did wrong or if the laws had changed. There was now a launguage barrier apperently. They took my licence which i willingly provided and said they would be mailing me two tickets for non-registration! I asked for an explanation and provided again my quebec trail permit paperwork for both sleds and my Vermont TMA for what it was worth. they didn`t want to see it and said i needed a plate. HUH

I was not disrespectfull in anyway and was fully coppertive. They apparently were sitting on the river all weekend just handing this fine out like candy. I talked to a couple othere americans up the trail that got the same thing.

What recourse, if any do i have. I àm not looking for the `fukc Them`attitude. would like a sugeston on a real solution out of this.

on a side note,,i was stopped the previous night in montreal area for a headlight check, my bulb has a blue tint which i found is ilegal here, so i put stock back in, no problem. anyway, they checked my reg and had no problems. no ticket and have a nice night.

Whats goin on here

Anyone have answers or thoughts on this??

Bobler - This post was from someone else from another site. Don't know where he got his pass from my guess is Jocelyn at Bernards

What Plate - US sledders don't have QC plates - Reg add sticker and go - been that way for awhile

When he said he was looking for a plate did he mean a Quebec plate?It is my understanding they are for Quebec residents only.I don't have a "plate" on my sled either as PA doesn't issue them.However they do have a sticker that is issued with the number on that is on my reg. card.Please keep us updated,i am going up in 2 weeks and don't need that headache. :wacko:

Where did you buy your pass from? They should have regquested your plate number then, it is and always has been a requirement.

How did you get a vt TMA without being registered somewhere? (plate)

All I've ever reieved is sticker and paperwork. Ridden Quebec for ten years. Sure they were cops?

When he said he was looking for a plate did he mean a Quebec plate?It is my understanding they are for Quebec residents only.I don't have a "plate" on my sled either as PA doesn't issue them.However they do have a sticker that is issued with the number on that is on my reg. card.Please keep us updated,i am going up in 2 weeks and don't need that headache. :wacko:

Read this on HCS an hour ago -- has to be a mistake waiting for QC guys to chime in

Look on your reg from quebec, there is a box where you add your plate number, if you got the pass without the "plate" it is not 100% legal and you can get ticketed. You must be reg somewhere

Whenever i have bought my trail pass it was always filled out by the person selling it to me.I would assume they are putting in the info. from my registration card as that is what they ask for. :nea:

Whenever i have bought my trail pass it was always filled out by the person selling it to me.I would assume they are putting in the info. from my registration card as that is what they ask for. :nea:

Ditto what he said. I just checked my paperwork and my NY plate number is in there. Also the column that says Canadian resident is checked as "No".

My New York reg is valid with sticker on the sled for 09 year. This CANT be right!!! It's like saying you need a Quebec liscense plate to drive your car up there too??? I would have used that scenario with a cop who is obviously not even up on his own laws!!

13 yrs and many check points and never had this be an issue before.

In New Hampshire, your trial permint is your registration or plate number. In Vermont, you have a plate and then have to purchase your VAST trail pass. The registrations, plate if you will, has reciprocity with Quebec. You don't need a Quebec plate if your sled is registered in another state. I am not sure what NY has for trail pass vs. registrations. I know that they used to have you register and had to put number on your sled like Mass used to do. Maine is the same as NH. The registration and trail pass are one document and have reciprocity with Quebec.

This is a non-issue!! Just read the thread on HCS, the sled was not registered anywhere! In Quebec it is law you have to have your sled registered. The person that started this should have listened to the police offficer that was writng out the fine.

This is a non-issue!! Just read the thread on HCS, the sled was not registered anywhere! In Quebec it is law you have to have your sled registered. The person that started this should have listened to the police offficer that was writng out the fine.

and, a quebec trail permit is not a registration, it only gives you permisiion to use the trails.

and, a quebec trail permit is not a registration, it only gives you permisiion to use the trails.

Exactly!! And how do you get a quebec trail permit without showing your registration??? I have always been asked to see my PA registration to get a QUEBEC TRAIL PERMIT! ALWAYS!

CT is one of the few states that issues an actual hard plate like Quebec. I have been stopped in check points and most of the time security is looking for the Quebec trail permit, sticker. The few times that the Police have been at a check point, the Police will ask for the the driver's license and U.S. registration and then look at the CT plate.

Many years of riding and no problems with check points. If the VT rider wasn't "registered", the Police were doing their job.

Jack

If all the facts are truthfully represented, it would be interesting to know how this rider got a VAST trail permit without being registered in Vermont or another state as it is a prerequisite for the VAST permit! If it is true he didn't have a valid state registration, then the person who sold the VAST permit and the person who sold the QC permit both made significant mistakes! Ultimately it is the snowmobilers responsibility to make sure he has everything required and if he/she is that clueless than they got what they deserved.

Now after reading the HCS post, it sounds like he deserved to get a ticket as he seemed pretty clueless.

• 2 weeks later...

I just happened to read this thread and found it interesting. The same happened to a friend back nearly 20 years ago while up in Quebec riding. We were all stopped for registration checks near Saint Gabriel...all sleds were fully registered in the states along with having the Quebec trail pass. One of our guys however had a Connecticut dealer plate that he used to get the Quebec trail pass with. Well that didn't fly with PD up there. As hard as he tried to explain he was a dealer, and that was a legal plate in Ct....they told all of us no exceptions you had to have the sled registered as any vehicle in some state if coming from the U.S. or you will likely be fined. As far as I know thats the way it still is up there. A Quebec trail pass only provides the rights to their trail system. You still need to have a complete valid registration from somewhere to apply for the pass so all the proper info can be filled out.