Any Must See's? Waterfall, Offtrail, Relais, Etc

snowpromod

Looking for any "Must See" spots in the Mt. Valin area, we are departing tomorrow night for 6 days of riding! Last year while we were up there I saw a ton of pictures from an ice formation that looks like a frozen water fall, where is this? We are looking to explore some of the hidden treasures of the area, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We are packing extra gas, survival gear, gps, maps, etc.

Also, any must stop pit stops!

Think Snow!!!!

Edited by snowpromod

Hi SnowPro,

There is plenty to ride and see. We were there from Christmas to New Year’s. See the post "Trail Conditions". The signage and red sticks were just starting to go up. A GPS with the trails does help.

North of the river had much better conditions than south. I think the ice formation you are referring to is off of 93. I’m told it is best later in the season when the snow starts to melt.

If you want scenic, do the lookouts off of trail 93. If you want fast, try Bras Louis or the blueberry fields.

Pit stops; La Chapelle, Auberge 31, ScoobyRaid, Onatchiway, and many more.

Mount Valin tends to get beat on weekends. The regional trails (green) and the local trails (yellow) are sometimes better than the Trans-Quebec tails.

Where are you staying? Are you doing day trips or saddle bagging? What style of riding are you looking for? How well do you know the area?

Detail a little more of what you’re looking for. If you are saddle bagging, you could head to Chibougamau, 300 miles each way. The snow might be thin to La Dore on the west side of the lake but there should be plenty of snow north of there.

Jack & Sandi

Must see? Do the 5 lookouts, do the waterfall, do the cave, do the new trail to Pipmaucan.

Check our pictures from last week:

http://berardoracing.com/gallery/Marks%20Trips/2011-2012%20Trips/12%2026%202011%20Mont%20Valins/index.html

Mark.

Edited by markusvt

They have maybe (5) 500 gallons tanks full. They get $2 per liter. Soda is $4, beer is $8, lunch is $18. It was very, very good. You can stay the night in new cabins for $125PP, includes breakfast and dinner.

It is here:

116° true N49 30.831 W70 45.387

Get there by going across the dam out of Onatchiway, go straight, go til KM104, take a left, go another 23 KM, maybe 70 miles from Onatchiway. On the way back go left at KM104, make a loop, at KM68 go left, brings you back on the Brais Loius, very cool.

post-464-0-22285100-1325819762_thumb.jpg

Edited by markusvt

They have maybe (5) 500 gallons tanks full. They get $2 per liter. Soda is $4, beer is $8, lunch is $18. It was very, very good. You can stay the night in new cabins for $125PP, includes breakfast and dinner.

It is here:

Get there by going across the dam out of Onatchiway, go straight, go til KM104, take a left, go another 23 KM, maybe 70 miles from Onatchiway. On the way back go left at KM104, make a loop, at KM68 go left, brings you back on the Brais Loius, very cool.

Quick question, stupid question . . . do you go thru the Zec to beth up there or go around the outskirts on the dotted line on your gps map?

Quick question, stupid question . . . do you go thru the Zec to beth up there or go around the outskirts on the dotted line on your gps map?

The way they went up is not through the ZEC. If you continued their loop and turned right at KM64, that would bring you through the ZEC and you would have to pay. If you continued south on Bras Louis till KM25 [i think]. You could take the 477 back to Onatchiway, for free.

Edited by scorpionbowl

It is here:

Thanks. $2 per liter isn't bad that far into the bush, however I will BYOB...

Correct, we went up the west side of the ZEC, came back on the east side, never going in on this trip.

The way they went up is not through the ZEC. If you continued their loop and turned right at KM64, that would bring you through the ZEC and you would have to pay. If you continued south on Bras Louis till KM25 [i think] You could take the 477 back to Onatchiway, for free.

It is here:

Is this trail marked? The guy that usually goes with us that has GPS can't go on our next trip but this seems cool. Where did you get that picture? Is it on some map by chance?

It is here:

I wanted to reply to MarkusVT but if anyone else knows.

Is this trail marked? The guy that usually goes with us that has GPS can't go on our next trip but this seems cool. Where did you get that picture? Is it on some map by chance?

Got the picture off my GPS, yes it is marked. 1/4 mile out of the Onatchiway parking lot is the Dam, cross it, then go straight, do not go left on the trail. At KM 104, go left, (actually it is between KM104 and KM105), sign there tells you 23KM to go.

http://pipmuacan.securdev.com/

IMG_0990.JPG

Edited by markusvt

Got the picture off my GPS, yes it is marked. 1/4 mile out of the Onatchiway parking lot is the Dam, cross it, then go straight, do not go left on the trail. At KM 104, go left, (actually it is between KM104 and KM105), sign there tells you 23KM to go.

IMG_0990.JPG

Thanks, I'd call that pretty marked. Do you have an idea as to what the total mileage is from the Holiday Inn to this place back down Bras Louis to the HI is?

I would trailer to the Ski-Doo dealer or the entrance to Onatchiway unless there is awesome snow at the HI. From the HI I would guess it could be a 250-300 miles day, round trip. Riding minimal snow out of the HI bites, though folks continue to do it.

Thanks, I'd call that pretty marked. Do you have an idea as to what the total mileage is from the Holiday Inn to this place back down Bras Louis to the HI is?

• 2 weeks later...

It is here:

Can you PM / email the track for this trail up to there?

alex at nac dot net

Thanks!

I will see if I have it saved from my GPS, it is pretty easy after riding it . . . although it was nice having the GPS to reference!!

The trail leading up to the Pip - it was like this the whole day, laid first tracks after the fresh snow from the night before:)!!

20120110_0024.jpg

Edited by snowpromod