Tour Guides

rev39

Hi all, very nice site here. Thinking about a saddlebag trip through Quebec this winter. Experienced riders and a couple wives with moderate experience. Never saddlebagged and don't speak French. Would be starting in Shawinigan and heading to Lac St Jean and Monts Valin area and return along the St Lawrence seaway. Are the trails and fuel stops marked well? Will communication be a problem, not speaking French. We plan to ride around 200 miles/day. Should we attempt this our first time in Quebec without a guide or not? If not who would make a good guide. I also posted this on HCS.

Thanks for any help and advice

Just a suggestion. If you have a gps bring it especially if your new to the area. Some times it can be really confusing especially early season, when signs may not be up.

http://www.gpsquebec.ca/produits/detail.ph...&Lang=en_ca This is software that works with most GPS's . It contains all of Quebec trails and a lot of local stuff as well. It has saved my butt a lot and have found new trails even in areas I thought I knew pretty well.

Just a suggestion for you

I am not a computer guy. How much computer work is needed to load info into a GPS to make it useful?

That one is simple at least for my setup which is a Garmin legend cx if you install Garmins program map source that comes with the gps. or City Navigator which may or may not come with it. That depends on what you get included when you purchase the unit.

With city navigator installed you then have a lot of neat features such as auto routing with turn by turn directions as you proceed down the trail as well as features such as closest gas, food, lodging, banks etc. etc. along with a very detailed auto road maps for all of Canada and the US. Obviously this package is about $100.00 more that the basic package but in my mind its well worth it.

With the basic map source software that comes with it you have a map that works real time but no auto routing or find features, you also only get very basic auto road map with just a few major roads that show up.

The link to the snowmobile trail maps I posted above will work with either package but the same thing apply Basic (Map Source) no auto trail routing. With the City Navigator software already installed All the auto routing features as well as find features work with the sled trail maps.

I personally will not ride without one any longer. It has saved my bacon several times already.

To answer you question, once you get the software installed in your pc the rest is pretty straight froward. My experience is due to all the security stuff such as key codes if you think you want the auto routing feature get it as pre packaged purchase and not at a later time. Installation is much easier, all the codes and serial numbers work together without having to do a lot of trying to figure it out stuff.

There are other brands out there which I have no idea of how they work, Im only speaking of what I know based on what I have.

Hope that clears things up for you

PS.

With that unit It has a removable memory card. I immediately purchased a 1 GB memory card because all the information in the City Navigator program takes a lot of memory capacity to hold all the information that it contains. The unit I have Garmin Legend CX only comes with a 64 mb removable memory card and it takes nothing to max that out with that City navigator program.

You should have no problem riding in Quebec. The trails are well marked and you will easily find your way provided you have a map. I have ridden about 15000 miles in the past 4 years without speaking French and have very little trouble communicating.

Few tips.

Make hotel reservations. This eliminates the issues you might face looking for a hotel at the end of the day.

Study the maps. Plan gas stops every 90 miles. The maps are very accurate. Come up with a route and post it here. Between a few people on this site I bet all your stops have been visited.

Bring a GPS. Even the $100 handhelds can be life savers.

I don't use the trails software just the basic mapping in the GPS although I might buy it this year....

Have fun!!!

Oh yeah, Once you ride Quebec plan on coming back.

I live in Québec.I've been doing saddlebag trips for years.We book our rooms/cabins in December for our february trips.It is imperative to book well in advance if you are expecting to sleep at an outfitter,crowded place(Saint-Michel-des-Saints as an example) or remote areas...Specially during weekends.

This is almost like the movie Groundhog Day. I think I have seen this post somewhere before. LOL

This site is an excellent resource for saddle-bagging in PQ. You are asking the questions in all the right places. Don't be shy to ask anything since you have never sledded the region or gone on a multi-day trip. I am sure with the information gained, you will be well prepared for your trip. Make sure you have lots of film or memory cards for your camera, you will need them.

:good:

Like everybody said"youll have no problem". Reservations are all you will need. If you want info youve come to the right place. The knowledge and experience of most of these guy will make your trip incredibly easy and all that much more enjoyable!! Like Doobraap said "PLAN ON COMING BACK!!" Youll be hooked for sure!!

After studying Scorpionbowl's website (excellent site by the way) I am thinking of a short 3 day saddle bagger to start with. Thinking of leaving from Shawinigan and going to Kanawata the first day. Then to Roberval the second. Then back to Shawinigan the third. Then possibly a couple of day trips out of Shawinigan to end the week. Only problem is I can't find Kanawata on any trail maps. I can see from Scorpions site where it is, but need a trail number and map that shows it. It apears to be on a secondary trail. How is it? Usually groomed ? Outfitter or motel name with secure area for sleds?

Thanks

After studying Scorpionbowl's website (excellent site by the way) I am thinking of a short 3 day saddle bagger to start with. Thinking of leaving from Shawinigan and going to Kanawata the first day. Then to Roberval the second. Then back to Shawinigan the third. Then possibly a couple of day trips out of Shawinigan to end the week. Only problem is I can't find Kanawata on any trail maps. I can see from Scorpions site where it is, but need a trail number and map that shows it. It apears to be on a secondary trail. How is it? Usually groomed ? Outfitter or motel name with secure area for sleds?

Thanks

Kanawata is on Private trail 369(between Regional 345 and TQ83).Between Pourvoirie Lac du Repos and Casey.It is situated on Manouane lake.

If you have a Provincial map you will see the trail as a dotted trail.

Thanks

Thanks for the compliment. Here's a picture of the placemat you get at the local clubs, great map [Kanawata is #3], i think the trail number is mislabaled as 369, which is near L'Etape. The trail is yet another awesome trail within PQ, perfectly groomed and little traffic. #1 Lac Repos is a good stop, with gas. WemoGaz, #4 is also a must stop, then you go to relais 22. Sounds like you have a good plan, check out my hotel link for contact info...

What exactly is an outfitter? Is it like a motel or more like a B&B? Is there gas available? Restaurant, dining hall, buffet? If you arrive late at night do you miss dinner? I would really hate to miss dinner. Are they really popular with snowmobilers? Do they usually speak english? I know I have a lot of questions, but I really have no idea.

Thanks

What exactly is an outfitter? Is it like a motel or more like a B&B? Is there gas available? Restaurant, dining hall, buffet? If you arrive late at night do you miss dinner? I would really hate to miss dinner. Are they really popular with snowmobilers? Do they usually speak english? I know I have a lot of questions, but I really have no idea.

Thanks

Here are a couple of links to some popular snowmobiling outfitters in Western PQ:

Faillon

Balbuzard

Windigo

Read up on them I think you will find them quite nice.

Looks like on day 2, on our way from Kanawata to Roberval we could stop into Windigo for lunch and fuel. What do you think of that idea?

......or at the relais 22.You cannot miss it.At the junction of TQ 83 and TQ 73.A well known pit stop amongst snowmobilers

http://www.relais22milles.com/indexEN.htm

Looks like on day 2, on our way from Kanawata to Roberval we could stop into Windigo for lunch and fuel. What do you think of that idea?

Windigo is a real nice place to stay however they do not have fuel and it is approx 7 miles off TQ83 on a side trail. Go to Relais 22 and fuel and eat and carry on.

Andy

Thanks

I don't think it is possible to miss dinner in Quebec!! If you were to show up late because of weather, breakdown, or any other reasonable reason I can't imagine any outfitter or B&B not going above and beyond to fill your stomach at any hour.

I don't think it is possible to miss dinner in Quebec!! If you were to show up late because of weather, breakdown, or any other reasonable reason I can't imagine any outfitter or B&B not going above and beyond to fill your stomach at any hour.

Yep...we have gotten delayed by bad weather, and mech. troubles during a few trips...i can't ever remember any of these guys not being able to serve you something for supper. With phone coverage in many areas now..its even a good idea to let them know ahead of time where you currently are..that you will arrive late for whatever reason.

It really does help to have someone with you who speaks at least a little French, but you'll find almost anyone in Quebec under the age of 25 speaks pretty good english as it is promoted more in school now. So even when you are at a remote location the younger employees usually know english. Don't be rude about the language difference while you're there. I carry a small translation book with me which I used a lot the first time I went to Quebec before I learned much French. Usually when I pulled out the translation book I got laughed at a bit.