Northern loop conditions?

DareDog

12 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

sorry to hear about that Snobeeler.  Unbeleivable that would happen at 1400 miles. Just curious did anyone change out those springs or drop the rear suspension since new or was it all factory put together ?

Yes, heavy springs installed by dealer. They are a excellent dealer so doubt anything they did. Will know more when it comes apart. This happened on high speed run between Chapais and Val Dor in some rain.

19 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

I've NEVER had one fail like that. Actually never had one completely fail before I have caught it on a maintenance check and then have replaced VERY few that were still good for a spare. I'm leaning towards something not put on in the correct order (factory or other person) like a washer/bushing,etc. Just a guess. But for a bearing to fail like that at 1400 miles it would have to have had a serious defect. I'm sure you and dealer already have checked but excessive track tension puts a big strain on idlers.

That upper set of idlers for me have generally been good for the longest duration seeing as they do not see all the crap and mess in the lower part of the skid. 
A fair amount of ice tends to build up around them though on multi-day trips that I find myself clearing out as often as possible….the tunnel as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would bet the Circlip was not seated correctly in the wheel, it failed to retain the bearing and it moved off the bearing, not that we have something like it happen......

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_03/image.png.d697db870cd97aa9db641be01ddc4836.png

You can see the bearing in place on the shaft.

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_03/image.png.1a7558a44c7b76fdaf1f2486a9785aaf.png

Not that this helps at all, but may help someone else.

Later

GutZ

image.png

image.png

12 hours ago, MrGutz said:

I actually found the root cause. The Hygear torsion spring spacer was installed backwards and worked its way over into the wheel and bearing causing enough heat to melt the wheel etc. The dealer who installed them followed the (incorrect)written directions that came with the spacers. The web site directions are correct. The paper ones are not. Step 5 on paper instructions is wrong.

FDD1B2FF-2BB4-45B4-9584-869FFADD4AA5.jpeg

46414C40-B694-4ECC-99E7-2B762BDDF083.jpeg

9148DF29-55C7-47F8-B23C-67EBA8BBC170.jpeg

1CD8D19D-4D71-4865-91B9-A650B1FCBBBD.jpeg

F725C4F1-1FA1-4F66-B850-9ECB2E0AA290.jpeg

I have trouble with there wording?Should be FLANGED. not tapered.I also installed mine as yours were origonally installed.I personally think your bearing failed, as the cause of your issue.and i did check the showroom floor at Beric's in ValdOr on the 21 st and no( ss) on anything there. I guess I will re-install my spacers as you say.😉

16 hours ago, blackjack1 said:

I have trouble with there wording?Should be FLANGED. not tapered.I also installed mine as yours were origonally installed.I personally think your bearing failed, as the cause of your issue.and i did check the showroom floor at Beric's in ValdOr on the 21 st and no( ss) on anything there. I guess I will re-install my spacers as you say.😉

Thanks for trying to find me parts. I am all back together and heading back up tomarrow. When installed correctly you should see a gap (3/16" or so) between the end of the spacer and the wheel cover. Should be no friction.