buying a GPS

Bill

This is my Nuvi 550. I like the unit & considered mounting it to the console but in the end found the bar mount quick & easy.

I also considered the Zumo but the possibility of loosing a $500 + unit steered me toward the 550 which works well for what we need on the trail.

I have it hard wired to the battery.

It definately paid for itself this past season.

Edited by 182ray

Thanks again guys, I talked with someone at Garmin thru E-Mail, This was my e-mail and there reply.

"Use is Snowmobiling in Quebec Canada, From people I have talked with on some web sites I have 3 recommended. The csx60, The Nuvi 500 or 550 and the Zumo 550. Problem is what ever someone has is the "best". I went on your site and there are so many i don't know where to start. So You tell me witch one would be best for loading the FMQ maps and is rugged (the trails can be bumpy) also very cold sometimes and it will be handle bar mounted so it will be right out in the weather. I looked at the nuvi line on your site and there are like 50 of them and I don't want something that will not be good enough or one that's way more than I need. i like the bigger screen so i think the 60csx is out unless you say it will hold up better to the abuse.

Thanks a lot.

Bill

There reply.

"Dear Bill,

I am happy to help you. The devices for the automotive/motorcycle units that I would recommend for the type of use you are wanting the device for is the Zumo series. Please click here for further information regarding the Zumo models.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135

I hope there not just "UP" selling. I will talk with my Buds this weekend and pick one.Price is not an issue, There will be 4 or 5 guys going in on it we just want a good unit. Might even get 2.

The last few years made up our minds that we are getting one.

Next question is where do I get the latest and greatest maps to load in??

This is my Nuvi 550. I like the unit & considered mounting it to the console but in the end found the bar mount quick & easy.

I also considered the Zumo but the possibility of loosing a $500 + unit steered me toward the 550 which works well for what we need on the trail.

I have it hard wired to the battery.

It definately paid for itself this past season.

Is that a "RAM" mount?? Will it work with the Zumo also?

Edited by Bill

Thanks again guys, I talked with someone at Garmin thru E-Mail, This was my e-mail and there reply.

"Use is Snowmobiling in Quebec Canada, From people I have talked with on some web sites I have 3 recommended. The csx60, The Nuvi 500 or 550 and the Zumo 550. Problem is what ever someone has is the "best". I went on your site and there are so many i don't know where to start. So You tell me witch one would be best for loading the FMQ maps and is rugged (the trails can be bumpy) also very cold sometimes and it will be handle bar mounted so it will be right out in the weather. I looked at the nuvi line on your site and there are like 50 of them and I don't want something that will not be good enough or one that's way more than I need. i like the bigger screen so i think the 60csx is out unless you say it will hold up better to the abuse.

Thanks a lot.

Bill

There reply.

"Dear Bill,

I am happy to help you. The devices for the automotive/motorcycle units that I would recommend for the type of use you are wanting the device for is the Zumo series. Please click here for further information regarding the Zumo models.

https://buy.garmin.c...shop.do?cID=135

I hope there not just "UP" selling. I will talk with my Buds this weekend and pick one.Price is not an issue, There will be 4 or 5 guys going in on it we just want a good unit. Might even get 2.

The last few years made up our minds that we are getting one.

Next question is where do I get the latest and greatest maps to load in??

Is that a "RAM" mount?? Will it work with the Zumo also?

Yes it a RAM mount & I'm sure there is one for a Zumo

Is the Zumo 550 better than the Nuvi 500?? Why is this so hard!! LOL

The Zumo is loaded with lots of stuff you will never need on a sled. Done get me wrong, they are great units but I can promise you, you won't be getting any calls through you bluetooth while riding the trails.

Those 550's and 500's are great all around units if you prefer touch screens. Touch screens in general don't have great battery life though. Not really a problem for most riders.

I'm going with a 60 csx this year, upgrading from a Quest 2 that I've used for years. Gonna keep that one in the car.

Bottom line, they all work pretty well, none are perfect, most shortcoming are easily overcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Last year I ran a Lake Effect Riser that has the RAM mount ball tapped into the riser, very slick set up for sure! Check them out if you are in need of a riser and a GPS mounting solution! No pics as I sold the sled. Once I have my new sled in the garage I can get some new pics of how it mounts.

http://www.lakeffectsnow.com/

This discussion was very helpfull,I am going to order the 550 nuvi with the ram mounting system, this will replace my 60 CSX that I have used for the past couple of years but find the screen to small for off trail riding/exploring. thank you all Roadrunner

• 2 months later...

After following posts and looking at sample maps-had to jump in. ordered a nuvi 550 from amazon today and their ne snowmobile trail maps chip, which includes canada, quebec. looks like amswers that how far to wherever question that comes up alot.

After following posts and looking at sample maps-had to jump in. ordered a nuvi 550 from amazon today and their ne snowmobile trail maps chip, which includes canada, quebec. looks like amswers that how far to wherever question that comes up alot.

hope it gets here by monday !!! :yahoo:

Good choice,i've had both the Garmin 60csx and now the nuvi 550 that i got last season and it works great.Its nice to be able to buy SD cards from NY,QC,and Ontario and change them around where ever you ride.One thing i have to say Garmin service is top notch.Something i've learned is you should always turn your unit on and off with the power button.I never do.This summer i would move the unit from the boat to truck back and forth no problem.One day maps didn't load,nothing!Called Garmin they said you should always power down could power surge The unit.I sent the unit to them and within two weeks they sent me a new unit.I was covered.They came through and i learned important leason.

Good choice,i've had both the Garmin 60csx and now the nuvi 550 that i got last season and it works great.Its nice to be able to buy SD cards from NY,QC,and Ontario and change them around where ever you ride.One thing i have to say Garmin service is top notch.Something i've learned is you should always turn your unit on and off with the power button.I never do.This summer i would move the unit from the boat to truck back and forth no problem.One day maps didn't load,nothing!Called Garmin they said you should always power down could power surge The unit.I sent the unit to them and within two weeks they sent me a new unit.I was covered.They came through and i learned important leason.

thanks for the tip! I hope unit comes b4 monday too, randy. ordered 2nd day fedex