buying a GPS

Bill

I am a GPS rookie for sure. Just started to use one last season. Many of my friends have used them for years. I have a Garmin Oregon series with a touch screen. It is mounted on my bars on the right side and powered from the sled. I have the Quebec trail maps for SLED and QUADS. LOVE IT.

The original GPS is built in my brain I know the trails well. This ia a great addition for sure.

Garmin is the most popular and there are many many choices.

I have the 60 csx. That's a good model for sure and i've seen it discounted this summer which may mean a new and improved model around the bend but i can't find any faults with the one i have.

I have to agree with gizz, a very nice unit, I have one as well. The only fault I can say I have with mine is and it may be just me, is I find the screen a little small (this might be related to my age & eye sight too). I have seen some other models with a bigger screen but I am not sure of the, price, model, or features on these other units. The 60 CSX is very user friendly and works well in extreme cold!! Both very important features for a GPS.

A friend of mine who does alot of sledding and is in Labrador and Quebec now on his bike, swears by his zumo 550. Pricy though

Just picked up a Nuvi 550 off of ebay for $219.00 Its waterproof and has a decent sized screen. Seems to be much the same as the Zumo 550 minus the cost, We will see how it does on the trail.

Edited by artcat900

Just picked up a Nuvi 550 off of ebay for $219.00 Its waterproof and has a decent sized screen. Seems to be much the same as the Zumo 550 minus the cost, We will see how it does on the trail.

Can you load the trail maps into it?

If so, what model? Nuvi xxx?

Thanks

GutZ

Can you load the trail maps into it?

If so, what model? Nuvi xxx?

Thanks

GutZ

It's the Nuvi 550 and yes you can load the trail map into it. I also have in addition to the street maps that come with it the Topo map that shows elevation detail and a lot of the forest roads.

I have used the Nuvi 500 for 2 years , I have found it to be a great unit.

The basis difference between the Nuvi 500 and 550 are the base maps that are loaded, The 500 does not come with Canada topo loaded but can be purchased as an adder.

I have mine mounted to the handle bars with a RAM mount. The first year I used it in Canada, I used the cigaret lighter, halfway thru the trip the wire broke from the cold and vibration. Last year I moved a hard wire power cord the unit works great.

I picked the Nuvi 500 since it east water proof, had off and on road capability and Ialso use the same unit in my truck

I was also able to get the FMCQ trails loaded to the unit.

I would buy the same unit again for multipurpose use.

Schooter

A friend of mine who does alot of sledding and is in Labrador and Quebec now on his bike, swears by his zumo 550. Pricy though

We use Zumo 550...pricy but feature packed...None of my vehicles have a nav system, I use the Zumo in my cars, motorcycle & sled. The price point gets better when compared to $2,000 nav systems in a car that can only be used in that car then given away at trade time...

I have a Garmin 60 CSX, love it for hiking, but for snowmobiling purposes, it is almost useless. Although the Zumo is much more expensive, if I could do it all over again, I would not have wasted my money on the 60 csx, I would have held out for another year, till I could afford the bigger unit. I just had my eyes tested, better that 20/16, and the screen is hard to read, the unit is not usable as a handlebar mounted system. Save up until you can afford the ZUMO, I saw a few in use last year, and regretted every penny I spent on the one I have.

I have used the Nuvi 500 for 2 years , I have found it to be a great unit.

The basis difference between the Nuvi 500 and 550 are the base maps that are loaded, The 500 does not come with Canada topo loaded but can be purchased as an adder.

I have mine mounted to the handle bars with a RAM mount. The first year I used it in Canada, I used the cigaret lighter, halfway thru the trip the wire broke from the cold and vibration. Last year I moved a hard wire power cord the unit works great.

I picked the Nuvi 500 since it east water proof, had off and on road capability and Ialso use the same unit in my truck

I was also able to get the FMCQ trails loaded to the unit.

I would buy the same unit again for multipurpose use.

Schooter

X2 on everything Schooter said about the Nuvi 500. I loaded the NYS trail maps and FMCQ maps on mine and it works well.

If you go to Garmin.com you can do a comparision , I pull part of the comparison and it is attached

I think the biggest advantage of the Nuvi is

Price

Battery life,

ability for Topo

I hope this helps!

Schooter

zūmo® 550 nüvi® 500

~ $600 USD ~ $ 300 USD :good:

Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 4.8"W x 3.9"H x 1.6"D (12.2 x 9.9 x 4.1 cm) 4.21"W x 3.35"H x .9"D (10.7 x 8.5 x 2.3 cm)

Display size, WxH: 2.8"W x 2.1"H (7.2 x 5.4 cm); 3.5 diag (8.9 cm) 2.8"W x 2.1"H (7.2 x 5.4 cm); 3.5" diag (8.9 cm)

Display resolution, WxH: 320 x 240 pixels 320 x 240 pixels

Display type: QVGA color TFT with white backlight QVGA color antiglare TFT with white backlight

Weight: 10.6 ounces (300.5 g) 7.6 ounces (215 g :clapping:

Battery: removable, rechargeable lithium-ion user-replaceable, rechargeable lithium-ion :clapping:

Battery life: up to 4 hours up to 8 hours :good:

Waterproof: yes (IPX7) yes (IPX7)

High-sensitivity receiver: yes yes

Preloaded street maps: yes yes (regional or 48 states+TOPO) :drinks:

Routes: 50 10

Accepts data cards: SD card (not included) microSD™ card (not included) :good:

Voice prompts (e.g. "Turn right in 500 ft."): NA yes (internal speaker)

Bluetooth® wireless technology: yes no

XM® compatible for U.S: yes (radio and traffic) no

Speed limit indicator (): no yes

Where Am I? (find closest hospitals, police

& gas stations, nearest address & intersection): no yes :good:

Multimode (switches modes to drive, hike, bike or boat): no yes :yahoo::yahoo:

Garmin Garage™ voices compatible ( no yes

Photo navigation (navigate to geotagged photos): no yes

World travel clock, currency & unit converter, calculator: no yes

MP3 player: yes no

Audio book player: yes no

Headphone jack/audio line-out: yes no

morcycle-friendly: yes yes

Marine-friendly: no yes

Geocaching-friendly: no yes :good:

I have a Garmin 60 CSX, love it for hiking, but for snowmobiling purposes, it is almost useless. Although the Zumo is much more expensive, if I could do it all over again, I would not have wasted my money on the 60 csx, I would have held out for another year, till I could afford the bigger unit. I just had my eyes tested, better that 20/16, and the screen is hard to read, the unit is not usable as a handlebar mounted system. Save up until you can afford the ZUMO, I saw a few in use last year, and regretted every penny I spent on the one I have.

I guess if you are mounting it on a handlebar it would be tough to use while driving and probably dangerous i would think. Mine is located behind the handlebar on a flat part of the console. I find it very readable but the screen is definately smaller compared to some of the newer units. I'll have to research the zumo but i'm very happy with my 60 csx. The one thing that i wanted to avoid was something that was too large that you couldn't pop it off the mount and throw it in your pocket.

Thanks Schooter............ What to do.... The bat life is way better on the novi witch is nice.

Nuvi is fine.

Zumo has Bluetooth and other features you do not really need for the sled. If you want to use it on a motorcycle summertime that's a different story then.

For sled nuvi is fine and can use in car rest of the year.

Main thing is you need big screen to see it good.

Hope it helps.

Edited by iceman

I have mine attached to the handle bar with a RAM mont, it clicks on on off easy , so I can take it with me when we stop.

I like it in TOPO mode I can see the elevation changes.

There maybe other units just as good, It took me a long time to decide which unit to buy, because it is alot of $, but since I have one I think it is great, I even put it on the sled when I ride locally now.

Schooterpost-198-022094900 1284678582_thumb.jpg

I have mine attached to the handle bar with a RAM mont, it clicks on on off easy , so I can take it with me when we stop.

I like it in TOPO mode I can see the elevation changes.

There maybe other units just as good, It took me a long time to decide which unit to buy, because it is alot of $, but since I have one I think it is great, I even put it on the sled when I ride locally now.

Schooterpost-198-022094900 1284678582_thumb.jpg

Can you show me a close up of the mount??

Bill,

I do not a close up picture on my computer, I can take one this weekend.

If you google RAM mounts with this part number you should be able to see the detail

RAM Mounting Systems RAM-B-149Z-GA32U Handlebar Mount for Garmin Nuvi 500 and 550

Schooter