Registrations! Important please read

Saguenay Bill

Last winter I had 2 different groups of riders, from the USA, tell me they had gotten ticketed in Quebec because they did not have their sleds registered in the states. In other words they did not have a sticker on thier sleds showing that it was registered, nor did they have any paper work proving that it was registered. They had to pay a $200 fine. I have been trying to find out more on this for the past several months. Yesterday I got an answer and confirmed it today with another source. If you are from the USA you must have your sled registered in a state, not necessarly the state you live in. A sticker from that state must appear on the snowmobile and you must have the necessary paper work proving it. I rode for 5 years years in Quebec and never had my sled registered in a state. I figured that I did all my riding in Quebec and I wouldn't buy a state registration. I was lucky as I never got caught. I know a lot of you do what I did but keep in mind if you get caught it will be more than what a US registeration cost. I would like to thank those who helped me find out this this information. They are MidRange, Daniel and Marie-Claude Goyette and her staff at the Tourism Dept of the Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean Region. A word to the wise should be sufficient

Bill were they registered in canada? or not registered at all. I would think it's considered a motor vehicle and like a car would have to be registered somewhere. probably the only way to really show ownership unless you carry title and bill of sale at all times. I was stopped by Q.p.p. on the trail last winter and they checked to see if vin# on reg. matched vin# on sled. I never thought of not registering. Thanx for shedding some light on the subject , nobody needs a $200 trail coupon.

Bill were they registered in canada? or not registered at all. I would think it's considered a motor vehicle and like a car would have to be registered somewhere. probably the only way to really show ownership unless you carry title and bill of sale at all times. I was stopped by Q.p.p. on the trail last winter and they checked to see if vin# on reg. matched vin# on sled. I never thought of not registering. Thanx for shedding some light on the subject , nobody needs a $200 trail coupon.

Just to make it perfectly clear. The "Trail Pass" you purchase in Canada is just that a trail pass, NOT a registration. I think many Canadian riders from the US think it is also a registration.

Also, since Canada honors NH registrations, Canadian registered sleds can come to NH and ride without any additional cost.

Mark :drinks:

can you reg in quebec? and how much does it cost?

I was told you can register in Quebec, but I do not know the cost. The phone # is 418-548-3165. Unless you speak French you will have a problem as I found out while trying to track down this information. The people mean well but what we try to convey is not always what they understand.

These guys were like I was years ago. Not registered at all. While carrying title and bill of sale may prove ownership, you will still get a $200 ticket because the sled is not registered.

Just to make it perfectly clear. The "Trail Pass" you purchase in Canada is just that a trail pass, NOT a registration. I think many Canadian riders from the US think it is also a registration.

Also, since Canada honors NH registrations, Canadian registered sleds can come to NH and ride without any additional cost.

Mark :drinks:

Mark you are 100% correct. A lot of US riders think that with the purchase of a "Trail Pass" they are OK. This is not the case.

For people that do not want to register in your own state to avoid tax or some other reason, out of staters can register in maine on-line no questions asked (other than Vin make model etc!!) cost $68

They give you a registration sticker and you will be legal. As a bonus the sticker is only 1"x2" so for the people who care about the looks you hardly even see it.... There actually is a place on the Quebec pass for the reg number so get you reg first. This will also let you park in maine and ride in to beutiful PQ!!!!

So Bill does this mean you are going to reg in NH? Maybe get in an early season ride? Or maybe get a Maine reg and dip down into the county if someone can drag you away from the northern paradise and over to the Chaudiere or Bas st laurent regions

I have been registered in NH since I moved here. This will be my 5th year. So far I have logged 20 miles here in NH. There has been no snow before I leave and no snow when I get back. I have walked more miles on the trails than I have ridden as I belong to the Twin Mt club and spend most Sat in the fall doing trail work. I only rode in Maine once about 4 years ago. We where in the Long Lake area for 5 days.

I was told you can register in Quebec, but I do not know the cost. The phone # is 418-548-3165. Unless you speak French you will have a problem as I found out while trying to track down this information. The people mean well but what we try to convey is not always what they understand.

These guys were like I was years ago. Not registered at all. While carrying title and bill of sale may prove ownership, you will still get a $200 ticket because the sled is not registered.

Mark you are 100% correct. A lot of US riders think that with the purchase of a "Trail Pass" they are OK. This is not the case.

Hi Bill; It would be great if the boys could Register in Quebec. They would need there Title and bill of Sale. It cost $73.00 a year and after the first time they send it to you by mail. The licence plate is forever it will go on your next sled. This money is given back to the clubs when they order up another New Groomer, They will chip in Aprox $50.000 dollars and the club finances the rest on a 5 to7 year Morgage. I will ask if it is possible with the right papers. This is one more way to help our Clubs in La Belle Province of Quebec. :drinks: (HAVE A GREAT WINTER).

Hi Bill; It would be great if the boys could Register in Quebec. They would need there Title and bill of Sale. It cost $73.00 a year and after the first time they send it to you by mail. The licence plate is forever it will go on your next sled. This money is given back to the clubs when they order up another New Groomer, They will chip in Aprox $50.000 dollars and the club finances the rest on a 5 to7 year Morgage. I will ask if it is possible with the right papers. This is one more way to help our Clubs in La Belle Province of Quebec. :drinks: (HAVE A GREAT WINTER).

I'm glad you posted this Bernard. Maybe some guys will do this. Any help we can give to clubs, the better for everyone.

Bill: The hiking in NH, though very difficult walking, is some of the best I have ever done. I have stayed at all the AMC huts and even hicked to Mt. Isolation. I think the Bon Cliffs were my favorite spot. Of course that was before I put on all this weight. :rofl:

phil

I've had to show proof of registration [for the sled] at the border crossing once, but they [border officials] don't care if you have a trail pass or not.

This is nothing new...we have been asked several times in the past years to show proof of ownership by having a sled registered in the states while entering Quebec, but didn't realize you could be hit with a $200 fine....ouch... Its been harder also to leave a sled between trips up in Quebec having to pay a fee and fill out necessary paperwork if a u.s. citizen without property up there.

Bill: The hiking in NH, though very difficult walking, is some of the best I have ever done. I have stayed at all the AMC huts and even hicked to Mt. Isolation. I think the Bon Cliffs were my favorite spot. Of course that was before I put on all this weight. :rofl:

phil

I'm glad you added that last sentence because when I read the first 3 sentences I'm trying to figure how you were able to do that, after meeting you 2 years ago. I wouldn't stay in am AMC hut if my life depended on it. The Twin Mt Snowmobile Club had to run a trail down near their Crawford Notch lodge last year. What a fit they gave the club because of the noise and the fumes that snowmobiles make. those people are real winners. One day we where clearing brush on a trail and thier hiking trail crossed it. We met about 12 of them at that junction. Not one of them would speak to us. After all we are the polluters of their wonderful world. Bunch of A holes.

Bill,

I agree with registering in Quebec to give the clubs more money to work with, But I am not sure if I would want to explain why my sled is registered in Quebec even though I live in the USA. I am not sure about paying a sales tax on a new sled also.

I was once stopped by the RCMP at a road crossing while they did a THOROUGH check of

ALL of my paperwork, trail pass, insurance, registration etc. checking serial numbers THOROUGHLY. This kept us

tied up for almost an hour. I think they were looking for stolen sleds.

Wow!! This is all wicked confusing.... So, being a resident of NH, when I get a sticker here, thats a registration and a Trail Pass for NH?? All, for I think, about $47 bucks.

But, stay with me now, when I pay $250 for a QC trail pass, Im not registered and I need another $75 to register? :sad:

And to register anywhere I need a title for my sled. WTF? I have 3 machines I own and have never had titles for any of them. :sad:

Maybe Im not following along, but I've ridden QC for 10 yrs, sometimes with the NH sticker on my hood and recently not, cause Snowmobiling down here is over. Never once have any of us had an issue, but obviously from the posts, it seems like thats all changed. So....., Im looking for the cheapest Legal way to ride QC in Peace. :drinks:

Your sled needs to be registered in one location, somewhere, usually where you live, or maybe where it's cheap. Where ever you aren't registered, you need a trail pass.

I think the previous discussions are for US residents, that don't ride in the US. I live in NH, and pay ~$70 for registration and club membership, but put on close to 0 miles a year in NH. In that case, it may be better to register in Quebec since you are giving more financial support to the areas you actually ride in.

I just want to clarify something here so everyone understand.Registration(Ownerships) have no direct impact on a snowmobile club.Buying a trail pass does.Like I said above, off our ownerships which cost $73 annualy, $25 goes to the FCMQ.FCMQ then via a subsidies system distribute the money pot based on severals factors to snowmobile clubs across the Province

FCMQ has tried in the past years to convince the Government to increase our ownerships by $10 with no results so far.$10x161 404 sleds(2005-2006) would means $1,614,040 for FCMQ.

Last year if I recall correctly FCMQ sold 84,000 trail passes.So half the owners are buying a trail pass.Yes I know ''Why not putting the pass on the registration fees''.NO,The question has been asked several times.What are you doing with trappers for instance??

I just want to clarify something here so everyone understand.Registration(Ownerships) have no direct impact on a snowmobile club.Buying a trail pass does.Like I said above, off our ownerships which cost $73 annualy, $25 goes to the FCMQ.FCMQ then via a subsidies system distribute the money pot based on severals factors to snowmobile clubs across the Province

FCMQ has tried in the past years to convince the Government to increase our ownerships by $10 with no results so far.$10x161 404 sleds(2005-2006) would means $1,614,040 for FCMQ.

Last year if I recall correctly FCMQ sold 84,000 trail passes.So half the owners are buying a trail pass.Yes I know ''Why not putting the pass on the registration fees''.NO,The question has been asked several times.What are you doing with trappers for instance??

Its because you can put your sled plate and sled in storage, But you must pass an inspection of your sled after one year of storage. That might be the reason.??????

Found this information on the Quebec Snowmobiling Federation website http://www.fcmq.qc.ca/english/pages.asp?id=85

Below they explain what you need before you leave. On of the items is a vehicle registration. This probably refers to a valid licence plate or licence sticker.

I hope that this information will further clarify the importance of having your sled registered.

A valid trail permit is mandatory to ride on the FCMQ snowmobile trail network. Three different kinds of permit are available for the public plus a specific permit for snowmobiles used by rental companies.

Trail permits are available from your local club representatives. You can also buy them at your snowmobile dealer and at many restaurants and lodging places situated near the trail network.

As you must know, most of the revenue from your permit goes directly to your club. So if you buy where you ride, your money improves the trails you ride most often.

The 5.00% remitted to the FCMQ represents $11.00 per annual trail permit. From this sum $1.50 is transferred to Motoneige Québec magazine to help defray postage fees. $4.00 approximately are allocated for a special aid fund for club and for a fund dedicated to the promotion and protection of snowmobiling. The remaining dollars are for the financing of current operations of the Federation.

What you need before you leave

- Your FCMQ trail permit (sticker and blue receipt)

- Your vehicle registration

- Your driver's license (for public road crossings)

- Proof of $500,000 liability insurance coverage

- A proof of age (driver's license is sufficient)

- A rental contract (if the snowmobile is rented)

- A competence certificate (for 16 and 17 year old operators)

The sticker is not sufficient!

You must have the proof of purchase (large blue paper) from your trail permit in your possession at all times and be prepared to display it to a trail warden or peace officer as proof that you are circulating legally on the trails.

Permit placement

The permit is valid only when permanently affixed on the snowmobile. General Rules of the FCMQ (article 11) specify that the permit must be affixed on the left side of the cab.