Trip Report and a Big thank you to Smclelan & Groomer

Bill

Well I DID Gaspesie finaly!!! Started in RDL, Took 5 all the way to Chandler. With nights in Matane, Grande-Vallee on the way. then back to the 597 to Murdochville then the local trail down to the 595 up to Relais Le Cache for gas then onto New richmond for the night. Then tried to do the local trail (club Mont Carleton Lt'ee) but went up 30 mi and the trail we could not find anymore so back to the 5 and onto a BB in Pointe-a'-la-Croix for the night. Then did the 587 up to the Ski hill in Sainte-Irene for thr night. Then did a local loop back to the 587. Did a few other local trails into towns for lunch and to see stuff. All in all did 1,500mi and had a GREAT time. Some of the trails were not marked great and we had trouble finding a few things, Hotels and dealers for oil. Signs seem to stop the closer you get LOL so lost a lot of time looking for places. Love how the trails go up and down the MTN and across the face as well, Very cool place and will be going back for sure. Thanks for thr tips Guys.

post-569-0-35552300-1328555815_thumb.jpg

post-569-0-61251800-1328555828_thumb.jpg

post-569-0-94178800-1328555855_thumb.jpg

post-569-0-78104800-1328555881_thumb.jpg

post-569-0-50363300-1328555962_thumb.jpg

post-569-0-67277500-1328555987_thumb.jpg

post-569-0-74155700-1328556009_thumb.jpg

Nice report and very nice pics. I will have to show the "rock"to my wife she had been there twice and both times were blizzards and couldn't see the rock. :drinks:

hi bill !!

glad you enjoed your trip in the gaspesie !!

like the last pic with the fog in the background !!

no mooses ???

thanks for the report !!

groomer !!! :drinks:

YES Saw 1 Moose, can't remember what trail it was though. Also passed a coye dog running down the 595 at about 7 pm. Then saw 5 deer on trail 587. Also when I stoped to waite from my buds on the 597 there where some birds we feed from out hands.

Only had 30mi of bumpy trail the hole trip, was on the 5 coming out of Grande-Vall'ee. It snowed a lot on us day 2 and 3 and was a lot of ungroomed but smooth running through 2 to 8 inches of freash for about 4 days.

post-569-0-88294500-1328569404_thumb.jpg

YES Saw 1 Moose, can't remember what trail it was though. Also passed a coye dog running down the 595 at about 7 pm. Then saw 5 deer on trail 587. Also when I stoped to waite from my buds on the 597 there where some birds we feed from out hands.

Only had 30mi of bumpy trail the hole trip, was on the 5 coming out of Grande-Vall'ee. It snowed a lot on us day 2 and 3 and was a lot of ungroomed but smooth running through 2 to 8 inches of freash for about 4 days.

thanks !!

not bad for a first trip in the gaspesie!!!

those birds are gray jay.very easy to feed !!

this morning on my way back,a moose walked on the groomed side again !!

last friday,talked with a friend,they started doing the ''inventory '' of moose population on duniere reserve and park matane .it should take about 10 days using a helicopter.

groomer !!!

HI BILL, LAST YEAR WE ATTEMPTED OUR FIRST GASPE TOUR AND GOT SNOWED IN ON 2ND DAY. HOPE TO FOLLOW IN YOUR STEPS THIS YEAR.

HOW MANY DAYS WAS YOUR TRIP AND ABOUT HOW MANY MILES PER DAY.

THANKS, JEFF

HI BILL, LAST YEAR WE ATTEMPTED OUR FIRST GASPE TOUR AND GOT SNOWED IN ON 2ND DAY. HOPE TO FOLLOW IN YOUR STEPS THIS YEAR.

HOW MANY DAYS WAS YOUR TRIP AND ABOUT HOW MANY MILES PER DAY.

THANKS, JEFF

7 days from RDL and back to RDL, 1,500mi day 8 rode west out of RDL for Half the day then drove to VT for the night at buddys cabin to swap sleds out of the trailer/garage then Home Sunday.

Anyone have info on the Copper mine in Murdochville?? Talked to the owner of the Copper Hotel a bit. He said the mine was shut down in 2002. I talked to the owner of the polaris dealer in New Richmond ( GREAT GUY BTW ) he said the town went down to less than 100 people now is back up to about 2,000 some work on the windmills and some at the tourist stuff. Now they may open the mine again cuz they found a new vain of copper and there is a LOT of Gold in it too. BUT it runs right under the town and the people want them to dig it without leveleing the town. He said 5 or 6 guys pretty much own the hole town too??

Anyone have info on the Copper mine in Murdochville?? Talked to the owner of the Copper Hotel a bit. He said the mine was shut down in 2002. I talked to the owner of the polaris dealer in New Richmond ( GREAT GUY BTW ) he said the town went down to less than 100 people now is back up to about 2,000 some work on the windmills and some at the tourist stuff. Now they may open the mine again cuz they found a new vain of copper and there is a LOT of Gold in it too. BUT it runs right under the town and the people want them to dig it without leveleing the town. He said 5 or 6 guys pretty much own the hole town too??

Pretty much sums it up, the guy you talked to at the hotel copper owns half the town including the gas station and the strip motel by the ski area. He has some sort of collection of old snowmobiles and wanted to open a museum. The last time I was there I tried to get him to show them to us but he said they weren't ready yet. Opening the mine back up would be a big undertaking because they pretty much dismantled everything back in 2002. We were there when a rig pulled into the gas station with a big piece of mining eqipment on it, we asked the driver where it was going and he told us a coal mine in Tamaqua, PA which is about 20 miles from my house. Don't know anything about the gold but I heard that the reason they stopped mining copper was because it was too expensive to get at for what is was worth at that time.

Pretty much sums it up, the guy you talked to at the hotel copper owns half the town including the gas station and the strip motel by the ski area. He has some sort of collection of old snowmobiles and wanted to open a museum. The last time I was there I tried to get him to show them to us but he said they weren't ready yet. Opening the mine back up would be a big undertaking because they pretty much dismantled everything back in 2002. We were there when a rig pulled into the gas station with a big piece of mining eqipment on it, we asked the driver where it was going and he told us a coal mine in Tamaqua, PA which is about 20 miles from my house. Don't know anything about the gold but I heard that the reason they stopped mining copper was because it was too expensive to get at for what is was worth at that time.

Thanks, I thought it might all be true but ya never know LOL.

Well I DID Gaspesie finaly!!! Started in RDL, Took 5 all the way to Chandler. With nights in Matane, Grande-Vallee on the way. then back to the 597 to Murdochville then the local trail down to the 595 up to Relais Le Cache for gas then onto New richmond for the night. Then tried to do the local trail (club Mont Carleton Lt'ee) but went up 30 mi and the trail we could not find anymore so back to the 5 and onto a BB in Pointe-a'-la-Croix for the night. Then did the 587 up to the Ski hill in Sainte-Irene for thr night. Then did a local loop back to the 587. Did a few other local trails into towns for lunch and to see stuff. All in all did 1,500mi and had a GREAT time. Some of the trails were not marked great and we had trouble finding a few things, Hotels and dealers for oil. Signs seem to stop the closer you get LOL so lost a lot of time looking for places. Love how the trails go up and down the MTN and across the face as well, Very cool place and will be going back for sure. Thanks for thr tips Guys.

What trail is the picture with the trees all covered in snow and the lookout on?

Yup. Those creepy cool snow trees are around La Redemption off 587. An inkeeper in Point a la Croix told us to check them out. He called them the "mummies". And that's where the "radar" globe is too. The most surreal stuff i've seen on any trail. Then when it's like you're on another planet... you pop out onto some local townies skiing!

Bill, you did not mention St. Anne Du monts, or Mt. St. Pierre on the North side of the Gaspe, if you missed that you must go back and also plan a couple of days to loop down thru New Brunswick, this is a very special place to ride for sure. I rode Quebec and Ontario for 20 years before going to Gaspe and New Brunswick and was really shocked at how much more exciting and interesting it was, the raw beauty is nearly incomparable, glad you had a great ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill!

Sorry...somehow I missed this. I love your pictures and report. I see you left the small windshield on as well. How did you do? I still have my little one on too! I find it works pretty good, directs the wind off me just fine. I did ride one day -33C and I was cold, will confess. But I was out there for 400km and it was getting kind of dark, so yes, I was cold.

I am really hoping to get there yet this year, its just tough to find people that want to share the drive from southwestern ontario.

Lindasledgirl