Good luck to our friends on the East Coast!

lindasledgirl

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just saw on the news ..

guys from hydro 1...ontario

nb energy ..new brunswick

and hydro quebec ...pq

are there to help.

60 guys from hydro quebec are '' camped '' in the parking of the nassau coliseum !!

jean-guy

There are power crews from all over the country helping out, I guess Canada too. We need it I can't beleive how many trees are still down blocking roads, what a mess!

My power came back on this morning, just in time it's getting cold. good news is there no shortage of work in the roofing business!

Just got our power (and internet) back last night...wow what a week!...Something I'll never forget for the rest of my life! Just minor damage for me but had a death (future inlaw - not storm related), and my snowmobile buddy Frank lost his house, (collapsed) trucks and all belongings!

Gas lines are miles long as an area get's power, everyone flocks to a station and waits for it to open...then it runs out of gas just like the others.

Super markets are low and out of a lot of things. Now we have "alternate" odd/even days for gas, but lines are still long. Going to try later to fill her up!

We are experiencing an unexpected by-product of the storm, gas and diesel shortage in my area, right between New York City and Albany NY. I tried 5 stations for diesel yesterday and found them out of gas and diesel. I found one station off the "beaten path" locally who had diesel and gas. I filled up my truck and four 5 gallon cans as a reserve. New Jersey started the odd-even license plate fuel rationing. The gift of a big storm keeps on giving.

I went into the local Home depot last night and the had 2 employees guarding the last 6 generators. They had the generators "fenced off" and two guys posted to watch them. Crazy aftermath form the storm.

Jim

It is quite an eye opener how fragile our infrastructure can be. Gas lines on Long Island are incredibly long. I have seen police and national guard protecting gas stations. Over 900,000 customers without power. It could happen anywhere in the country. One storm or catastrophe and our pampered way of life can become something else. I am doing fine but many are not.

Woo hoo! Here we go again.

We get power restored after a week and now Mother Nature takes us from all-right to all-white?!

Our first real snow storm, 4" of heavy & wet so far, and I ain't got no sled with me!!!

Hopefully the remaining leaves won’t catch too much of the fluff and tear down whatever tree limbs are left from last week.

No worries, sled season soon.

Just got our power (and internet) back last night...wow what a week!...Something I'll never forget for the rest of my life! Just minor damage for me but had a death (future inlaw - not storm related), and my snowmobile buddy Frank lost his house, (collapsed) trucks and all belongings!

Gas lines are miles long as an area get's power, everyone flocks to a station and waits for it to open...then it runs out of gas just like the others.

Super markets are low and out of a lot of things. Now we have "alternate" odd/even days for gas, but lines are still long. Going to try later to fill her up!

I am sorry to hear about the death of a family member McStar!

And Franks house...that is very sad! It's going to be very frustrating for a while I suspect and we can just hope that things turn around for all of you. I know Re/Max International sent all of us a request for help. Hopefully that will help people in need.

We are pretty much cleaned up here now, funeral for our Hydro worker was a huge community event complete with all the fireman and dignitaries a small town can muster together. They parked two line trucks at the entrance to the church and formed an arch with the buckets. It was a nice touch. And now we look at the disaster to the south east of us and feel pretty lucky to be honest.

Let's hope for some kind of snow this year!

Linda

Just read thru this thread, glad all are OK.

Sorry to hear about the lineman Linda...God speed.

We were lucky only out of power 1 day at home but my office was a different story worked from my dining room with cell & laptop last week. Only got phone back at office yesterday. Lots of trees down minor damage to some customers, lots of food spoiled,but it could have been a lot worse.

Had a few flurries but nothing stuck here.