5 Day Ride, St Zenon-Clova-Quevillon-Chibugamau-Windigo

600IQHO

Arrived at St. Zenon on Saturday 2/9/13. We are looking for MDRIDER who we had never met or seen before. Did not take but 15 minutes or so and a new Apex comes riding up next to my truck. So we meet.

Day 1. St. Zenon to Clova. -23F This will be our coldest morning. We head out from Le Cabanon and I am suprised at how nice the trails are. I mean "ride free week end" and the snowmobile corral was stuffed but the trails right out of the gate are near perfect. We take 345 across the new bridge to 360 and then back onto 345 north and off to Repo some fuel. We continue on 345 to Kanawata. After Repo the trail from near perfect to absolutely perfect and blazing fast! After a stop at Kanawata for lunch and some jokes from Mario we continue north to 83 and the trail remained perfect. At the 83 intersection we took a short break and 4 riders show up with a Yamaha in tow behind a Ski Doo. No fault of the Yamaha, Stud thru the heat exchanger was the issue. We continue on 83 west thru Parent and off to Clova. Trails remained near perfect the entire way. Spent the night at the Tamarak and again had a super home cooked meal. 286 miles for the day.

post-269-0-84467200-1360976257_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-32377900-1360976279_thumb.jpg

Day 2. 15F Th is morning. We again continue on 83 west the trail from Clova to Balbuzzard is a little rough, Groomer is still broken. Balbuzzard to Lac Fallion is groomed and really nice. We get to Fallion and after getting fuel we decide to eat lunch. This when the day would start to get really strange. When Sharon started her sled to pull away from the pump I could hear the starter continue to spin. She shut the key and the kill switch and in kept spinning not engaged with the fly wheel. I open the side panel on the battery side and it stops. I start to close the side panel with the key off and the kill switch still depressed and it starts to spin over and it starts up! This was a simple fix and was self inflicted. I left the boot off the positive battery post when it was charged and the starter relay wires and some other wires rubbed through on the battery post.

After lunch we find freezing rain starting to fall, luckily this did not last long and it changed to snow. We continue on 83 west to Seneterre this section is ok but not as good as the last bit of trail until we hit the 386/83 split from there 83 was again really good to Seneterre. We decide to head up to Quevillon for the night and this was my first time on 93 and was it perfect and fast. We look for a room and find that there is NOTHING! Motel Du Lac is booked even the parking area had 3 trucks in it. Then we head to Motol Iris, NO Vacancy again. Next time I will listen to Viper2 more carefully. Then the owner of the Iris says he has 2 rooms in his house he will rent us! Basement of his home 2 finished bedrooms, bathroom and a living area with sattelite tv. $50 per room. I cant hardley believe it. On top of all this my cell phone is missing. After a short trip for dinner I take off my bibs and it falls out on the floor, must have been down by my boot most of the day. An interesting 240 miles.

post-269-0-06201700-1360977995_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-66308000-1360978018_thumb.jpg

Day 3. We dapart Quevillon early, we stop to top off and burp all 3 tanks. We have good trails all the way to Desmaraisville were we stop to top off the Apex, only 9.2 gallon versus our 11 gallon tanks on the Switchbacks. I had this preplanned not to stop and brought a 5 litre can with each sled. I soon realized that the detour was a lot longer than i thought it was.At 103 miles my low fuel came on and now I was really wishing we had split a can. Turns out at 147 miles I was sitting at the pump with the low fuel still flashing and we did not need our reserve can. In hindsight I would have put some in at Desmaraisville as the worries ruined the last 50 miles of that ride. We arrive at Chibougamu at lunchtime and again there are no rooms. It turns out that open up the Harricana due to demand, we luck out again. We then drop the Apex off at the dealer for an oil change. 3 hours later!!! And a new set if HiFax at 800 miles on the odometer in near perfect conditions? After this we do a small loup on local trail #3 and it is also perfectly groomed. 210 miles.

post-269-0-51909700-1360978986_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-88666600-1360979005_thumb.jpg

Day 4. We head out early on 93 north toward La Dore, slightly before day light. We stop at Scierie 54 for fuel, trails to this point had been good. The trees still hanging low from the ice the previous week. We stop at La Dore for fuel and off to Roberval. This area was a big concern for this trip but with about 3 to 4 inches of fresh snow the day before the trails turned out pretty good. Very little ice showing through and enough powder for cooling. We did 93 to local to 373 to local to 83 west to Relay 22 some areas slow and rough and some are smooth and fast. Then we take 83 to Windigo and we hit some reroute from logging, it really did ruin this very fast section of trail. We arrive at Windigo to 6 other people that were already there and enjoy the company Martin as she is the only other one there that speaks at least some english. She is also a great host and cook. 307 miles

post-269-0-04070700-1360980015_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-27133900-1360980034_thumb.jpg

Day 5. We decide to cross the resevoir from Windigo and head over to 73 from there. After some difficulty we find the trail off the resevoir but it comes up to a house and nowhere to go. A man comes out and he speaks only french. After some conversation, i think he assures me of the way to go to get to La Tuque and hands me some keys to open a gate. After doing this we head out on an ungroomed untracked road and sure enough after a 6 miles we come out on 73. This trail I do not like. I do not know why I suggested going this way. Afetr fuel at La Tuque we finally get to 355 which is in good shape and fast. We then head off on 360 west to river Mattawin, this trail is S@%t snirt, icey hills and corners reroutes, running along muddy logging roads ect. I could not get off it fast enough. We cross the bridge and continue west on 360, this section is fast and wide with plenty of snow as usual, then head down 345 south and back to Le Cabanon. 223 miles

post-269-0-50490900-1360981252_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-78884000-1360981268_thumb.jpg

Overall great trip and excellent trails. I would like to thank Chris (MDRIDER) for joining us, we had a great time and enjoyed your company.

Also if you are planning on staying the night at Quevillon or Chibougamu make reservations in advance, I am also not sure why but everything is booked.

I forgot 1266 miles for the trip.

Edited by 600IQHO

Wow !!! I really enjoy ready your complete report, remind me alot my last year run on this side... even the decision to not taking gaz at Desmaraisville!! did the same and even there was no detour last season it ruin the last 50 miles by being very gentle on the throttle.

Love the pics !!!

Look like you had a great trip, glad for you that you found/solve your electrical trouble so fast, it is also something that can ruin a ride...

My hat to you...

:drinks:

Alain

Wow !!! I really enjoy ready your complete report, remind me alot my last year run on this side... even the decision to not taking gaz at Desmaraisville!! did the same and even there was no detour last season it ruin the last 50 miles by being very gentle on the throttle.

Love the pics !!!

Look like you had a great trip, glad for you that you found/solve your electrical trouble so fast, it is also something that can ruin a ride...

My hat to you...

:drinks:

Alain

Thanks Alain, I would not skip the gas again. I do like having the small reserve can with as security. I will probably keep bringing it along.

Great report Dave! Nice pics too when we were up my camera was froze up almost the whole week, I got some pics from my friends that were on the trip I will have to post some. I know why you passed up on the fuel at Desmaraisville on your earlier post I didn't realize you had extra gas. The feeling you had that last 50 miles was the same as mine and I took half a can. The people at Iris are so nice I will stay there again for sure. What did you think of the store at Desmaraisville everything from soup to nuts, I think you maybe could even buy some herbs there too :crazy:

Great report Dave! Nice pics too when we were up my camera was froze up almost the whole week, I got some pics from my friends that were on the trip I will have to post some. I know why you passed up on the fuel at Desmaraisville on your earlier post I didn't realize you had extra gas. The feeling you had that last 50 miles was the same as mine and I took half a can. The people at Iris are so nice I will stay there again for sure. What did you think of the store at Desmaraisville everything from soup to nuts, I think you maybe could even buy some herbs there too :crazy:

We did not go in the store, gas n go. Cold was no issue this week other than the 1st morning at times it was too warm. The 2nd coldest morning was when we left Chib. it was 2F and dipped to 0f out of town, that was it. It 32f on day 5 coming into Mattawin and the sun was out. Snow was melting quickly on the sunny side of the hills.

Nice... All and all looks like you had a great time !!! Thanks

Thanks Crazysnow. I think anytime everyone makes it back safe, you have no break downs and it does not rain you have to have a good time.

Very Nice! Thanks for sharing. How did you like the saddlebag setup on your Poo's

I think it is a pretty good setup. They hold a lot more than you think. 5 days worth of gear and we both had a little room left and that included tools kit, first aid kit tow rope and 5 bottles of star tron. The top center bag is a little hard to attach and remove when packed full but not too bad.

Edited by 600IQHO

600 IQ. Great Report and Pics......What type of fuel mileage are you getting with the Polaris'.....

I am normally getting 14 to 15 and sometimes a little better. The last day I only got 12.4 on the 1st tank that day, I dont know why that was but that was the worst I ever got. This is a 600 the 8's I am hearing get 10 to 12. Sharon does a little better she always uses 1 or 2 liters less than me.

I am normally getting 14 to 15 and sometimes a little better. The last day I only got 12.4 on the 1st tank that day, I dont know why that was but that was the worst I ever got. This is a 600 the 8's I am hearing get 10 to 12. Sharon does a little better she always uses 1 or 2 liters less than me.

Great trip report and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by im4snow

Always good to not have to ride in any rain. Spending Valenines Day on the trails with your wife shows a true (joint) love of the sport.

Likely the track was too tight (or misaligned) on mdrider's new Apex to cause the early life hifax failure.

Thanks for your report.

Great trip report and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! Alain set the standard so I try to at least make my reports respectable.

Thanks for the report and pics. We like to get intel on hotels and places to see from fellow QuebecRiders.

Same here and next time someone tells us to make reservations for a certain area I will listen as we got lucky.

Nice report and pics Dave. Always enjoy reports from that area.

mike

Thanks Mike! I always look for your reports also. Do you always ride alone?

It was a fantastic trip. Was nice to ride with Dave and Sharon who enjoy riding as much as I do. Thanks for having me along enjoyed your company

Anytime Chris, I will call you next time to see if you are interested.

Always good to not have to ride in any rain. Spending Valenines Day on the trails with your wife shows a true (joint) love of the sport.

Likely the track was too tight (or misaligned) on mdrider's new Apex to cause the early life hifax failure.

Thanks for your report.

Rain was only about 30 minutes but we still had to stop 3 times to clear our sheilds. The rain was a suprise, they had not called for it and it was only about 21F when it started to fall. That is what I told sharon her valentines day gift was, the 2 of us us spending the whole day together. She said it sounded good to her. Not sure about the hifax or track tention. It just seemed odd that it would wear out that fast because we really did have good powder on the trails up to that point.

Great report Dave! Glad you guys had fun and got home safely.

Tom

Thanks Tom! I am looking forward to your reports this week. I see Crazysnow is helping you out a little.

Dave and Sharon, sounds like the saddlebag trip went well, how do you like the switchback adventure 600, how about the switchback 600 pro r,I'm considering both and I know I'll get the straight scoop from both of you! pm me when you get a chance, thanks,Bruce