St-Zenon/Parent photo ride-report 16-17 march 2013

towing

The week-end before, I had talked to Krikri that I wanted to make a little 2 day sled trip before the season finishes. The mild weather in the last weeks rush things and I spent a part of the week to make plans. The Haute-Mauricie seemed a perfect target, but I needed partners to go there safely. Things had almost done all alone with Carlito who contacted me on Wednesday because he was looking for a partner for a last ride this season and was willing for a weekend ride. Seeking into the trail conditions, I saw that the snowmobile club l’Alliance du Nord that groom #83 trail and Parent area had ceased to groom on the previous weekend but was still open and over the phone I was told that there was little traffic and trails were beautiful ... heu...yeah ... lets take a chance, go for it, we are going.

I had slept in Parent once 2 years ago on a ride with my friend Coyote who brought us at a beautiful little cottage that was not expensive, so I call to L’Ombre du Vent and made a reservation on a cottage in Parent. Steph with whom I rode this winter called me Thursday night and did not hesitate long before confirming his presence and another of our friend called me but was a little afraid of risk of bad trail condition since l’Alliance du Nord was not groomed anymore and he not wanted to risk riding hundreds miles in big bump trails, so he give up ... a decision that had prove very bad for him, he missed a real good one ...

Day # 1

Saturday morning under a beautiful sunny sky -20C (a spring ride ... loll) Carlito, Steph, Krikri and I are starting our ride from La Glacière in St-Zenon.

DSC07693_zps6bee7bfb.jpg

The trails are extremely hard base with about 2 inches of powder giving perfect conditions.

DSC07702_zps134fee5f.jpg

DSC07706_zpsf4f0e013.jpg

Here a short break just before the Cabanon

DSC07708_zps6a9710e4.jpg

We then heads north through #23 and #345 trails

DSC07715_zps5583838a.jpg

A little break here on the new Mattawin bridge

DSC07725_zps75efcb6c.jpg

We then continue on the #360 and #345 to Repos. Krikri has not had time to pics but a 10th miles from the junction a dozer (from le Royaume club) is down beside the trail. A recovery mission was made thereafter, I will show you some details on day # 2

DSC07747_zpsb63b5061.jpg

We pass the intersection of the M20

DSC07750_zps52811d3e.jpg

and take a break at the bridge near the small Gilardo dam

DSC07764_zpsbf7de63d.jpg

We do a first pit stop at Repos at 12:15 with 100 miles on the dreammeter

DSC07791_zpsdd5fc182.jpg

After a good lunch break, we take the #345 trail in Kanawata direction

DSC07802_zps6f713f59.jpg

The first miles are good and then it become wider..

DSC07806_zps1bfa9347.jpg

And then we ride a trail on a wide forest road, very beautiful and fast

DSC07815_zps9dac64b5.jpg

The trail conditions are very good, just a little ripple in some curves but nothing to slow us on the venture two-up

DSC07818_zps5c0b27b7.jpg

DSC07820_zpsa2c48d3f.jpg

We take a break on this bridge, a couple of you will recognize this river

DSC07828_zpsa64280b9.jpg

DSC07830_zpse7854f09.jpg

Here’s a section of trail along the road

DSC07836_zps124d1d0c.jpg

And then back in the mountains

DSC07838_zps515b7510.jpg

DSC07840_zps4271e7a2.jpg

Dreammeter! Ha!! I love it!!

Great trip report Alain and tell Krikri, great pictures as usual!! Trails look great! I think we have a few more weeks yet!

Linda

Carlito ...

DSC07842_zpscd57ccd9.jpg

Here is a view of the Manouane lake just before arriving ...

DSC07848_zps29904466.jpg

At the Kanawata

DSC07863_zps78746156.jpg

We fuel up again there to be sure to reach Parent because there are no more services this year in Casey. Very original pump!

DSC07853_zpsdec775c1.jpg

Back on the trail towards Casey

DSC07875_zpse6f8dd80.jpg

The trail is beautiful and fast, a real highway

DSC07884_zpsb8e85104.jpg

We take a short break along the trail at Casey

DSC07888_zpscee95c67.jpg

We are now entering on the Alliance du Nord snowmobile club territory ...

Not groomed since a week??? Is it a joke or what???

DSC07890_zps8e0cbc3c.jpg

Here at the #345/#83 junction

DSC07899_zpsf71cd11d.jpg

DSC07900_zps4d701154.jpg

Parent direction…

DSC07915_zpscb9e738a.jpg

I'm not really a speed guy but here, how the hell can you ride at just 45 ...

DSC07922_zpsf78dd48a.jpg

DSC07924_zpsb19c6356.jpg

Here the intersection for Gouin

DSC07925_zpsf364a8ad.jpg

And we continue at good speed ... not groomed since a week .... pfff…. I can’t believe it

DSC07930_zps835317eb.jpg

DSC07931_zps9fb89426.jpg

The #83 highway...

DSC07935_zps5d0c6951.jpg

DSC07936_zps2431e98a.jpg

A little before reaching Parent, we cross a burned area with a few curves

DSC07939_zps4e8536d9.jpg

And we arrive at l’Ombre du Vent in Parent at 6:00 pm

DSC07955_zps0d0a6009.jpg

Edited by towing

Here is the cottage which is mounted semi-detached. We have the right section

DSC07968_zps61ac5026.jpg

And we then come back to the village (the cottage is at 5 minute by sled) to go to the restaurant La Station where we spend a few hours in relaxing with a good meal within friends before returning to enjoy the cottage later in the evening.

DSC07982_zps7e9b9477.jpg

Me on a cat ... bad plan for my venture sees me and starts to sulk ... loll

DSC07986_zps1aa1cfd6.jpg

So we finished the first day with 246 miles on the clock on outstanding trail conditions

Day #2 is to follow soon ...

Alain

Dreammeter! Ha!! I love it!!

Great trip report Alain and tell Krikri, great pictures as usual!! Trails look great! I think we have a few more weeks yet!

Linda

Thanks Linda !!! the next week-end should be still good for many area but some clubs have begin to give up so we have to check for connectivity for saddle bag trips...

We got some good powder snow today, -5C most of the day and maybe around 8" actually and still snowing at home in Joliette...

Still some riding for me ahead too...

Alain

Nice report as always, I'm headed for la Glaciere tomorrow for a few days, a foot of new snow and the groomers still running. FYI, Lionel says the auberge will be closed after this weekend

Closed as in for a little while or closed for good?

No just for a little while, end of season. Maybe had it planned before this snow, seems like he could have gotten another week or so.

Thanks, enjoy it Mark, wish I could DOO it too !

McStar...is there a ride left in your group? I am still riding!

No we are done but we are heading to upstate NY to put the sleds away this weekend but they just got 40 inches and it's still coming down so maybe we will ride this weekend !....and YES, I know you are sill riding, you never give up!!

No we are done but we are heading to upstate NY to put the sleds away this weekend but they just got 40 inches and it's still coming down so maybe we will ride this weekend !....and YES, I know you are sill riding, you never give up!!

She's the Energizer Bunny..........keeps going and going and going. LOL

McStar

Hope to meet up with you again next year.

JG

Alain you never seize to amaze me, between you and KriKri you guys own the trail the day you ride. Parent trail 83 never looked so good, i heard they were redoing it last season to the old road but never imagined the trail would look like that. WOW!

Nice spot in Parent you found,can you share their contact information?

JG

McStar

Hope to meet up with you again next year.

JG

JG, I hope to see you too next year, everyone on here is just awesome, I will try to get 3 trips in next year so i can meet everyone again!

Well, you might be able to do a little ride then before you pack them up!! I can't wait for next year...hope you guys can make "Groomer's Spring Break 2014"!

Linda

JG

You are right JG and next year, more rides you and I! We'll see if we can't get you and I on the same trailer!

Linda

Alain you never seize to amaze me, between you and KriKri you guys own the trail the day you ride. Parent trail 83 never looked so good, i heard they were redoing it last season to the old road but never imagined the trail would look like that. WOW!

JG

I'm thinking this is the place in Parent

http://www.ombreduvent.com/index.html

Good Stuff Alain & Krikri. I know all those trails well. You hit great conditions as I did back last month. Kudos to the clubs with their grooming operations this year!

Thanks for sharing with us home bound wannabes!

Best,

Tom

Thanks Tom, with this week snow and cold temp many most snowmobile clubs stand and still groom giving us an extra sledding week-end with a very good trail network.

We must have just missed you, as we rode 90% the same trails, and they were AEWSOME! Going back on Friday. Best March up there in many, many years.

It seems that l'alliance du nord change their mind and groom some sections: http://snowmobilecou...a/en/conditions

Enjoy!!! I will be on the trails this saturday too!!

Great report Alain - If the boys didn't have hockey this weekend I was hoping to make a last / last trip. My season is done as the following weekend we are head south to SC for a week.

Bob

Thanks Bob...Family first...

Nice report as always, I'm headed for la Glaciere tomorrow for a few days, a foot of new snow and the groomers still running. FYI, Lionel says the auberge will be closed after this weekend

Thanks Snowdogs ! I hope you have a good time during this last winter surge here!

JG

I'm thinking this is the place in Parent

http://www.ombreduvent.com/index.html

Thanks TrailBlazer!! Carlito that ride with us told me " I don't understand how you can get so much good trail, I will always ride with you it seems the dozers just groom infront your skis!!!"

You would have loved the #83 for sure, and all the top loop we did: beautiful fast trails

dooright is right on! On the good side, The Chalet are beautiful in and out, full equiped with even a kitchen and dishes and very cheap $75+10$each= with taxes $135 splitted in four...$34 each !! On the less good side it is not well soundproof in between the 2 sections... Still unbeatable bang for the buck

Alain

THE 2ND DAY

Initially I had search information for the trail path that we have made on Saturday but I was hoping I could then continue south on Sunday from Parent and take #13 and #33 trails through the pourvoiries des Cents lacs and Manouanne to buckle up the loop to Repos but there was mix information about Mauseur Lake that was not safe. With trails that we had on Saturday, it would’nt have been a punishment for us to go back on our track to come back but we would like to loop... especially since I had never done #33 west of Manouanne section. We talked with other snowmobilers in Parent and got confirmation that the trip was not only feasible but that trails were also in very good shape, so everybody agree and we chose this option for our return Sunday. Here the path of the ride

carte-12_zps13af6315.jpg

At sunrise with nordic dew on snowmobiles, -22C

DSC07998_zpsb6daf299.jpg

DSC08003_zpsd29c107a.jpg

pre-departure ...

DSC08004_zpsa6d918d2.jpg

DSC08008_zps1d3ab0bd.jpg

We went to have our breakfast at the famous Central Hotel in the village of Parent.

DSC08016_zps7dca6124.jpg

We then begin our return to the south. It is on this lake (Mauser) there was a small section not safe and they moved the trail near the shore.

DSC08019_zps8eb7162c.jpg

For the rest, an highway ...

DSC08022_zps1d57e66e.jpg

DSC08023_zpsed718080.jpg

Here at the #83/#13 junction

DSC08024_zpsdf445f54.jpg

Misrepresentation! We have seen the twisty trail but the three bumps were not there ...

DSC08032_zps131b9655.jpg

Conditions were even better than Saturday , no ripple in the curves, very beautiful

DSC08041_zpsd81baffc.jpg

DSC08043_zpsf4271d57.jpg

let’s ride during day…

DSC08044_zps17fdd3cb.jpg

The #13 with my 2 partners infront

DSC08053_zps62361fa7.jpg

DSC08055_zps398d7d1b.jpg

A section before la pourvoirie des Cents Lacs is rather narrow and twisty on #13trail, just enough to even more enjoy the rest of the trail ;-) We fueled up to make sure you get to the Manouanne.

DSC08080_zpsb74ed7f9.jpg

The trail south of pourvoirie was beautiful, wide and fast

DSC08093_zps014d4126.jpg

We then hook on #33 east which wasnice but a little narrower

DSC08098_zps56ee89e2.jpg