Ice scratchers on 800 Renegade?

Pipeman

Any of you have them installed that can provide a picture? With the 2 idler wheels up toward the front of the skid I do not see a good place to mount them. Thought about moving a set of the wheels to the inside but not sure if there is a negative to doing that.

Thanks for any input

I had the dealer put them on my sled. I can go out and look at them but I don't think he pulled any wheels off. When the ice scratcher is in the parked position, the carbide end of it rests on the rail just in front of the little rubber bumper about mid rail, front to back.

Sometimes they will jump off the rail when you don't realize it. I have also seen little eye bolts thru the rail to hold them in the parked position. I may end up doing that. The eye bolts look more secure.

Also, be very careful crossing the railroad tracks. The tracks will pull the scratcher off of the rail by breaking the mounting bolt. It has happened to me.

I think I have seen a post on DooTalk and pictures.

Jack

I just did this on my wifes sleds & will be installing mine when time permits. I moved the second set of idler wheels to the inside. I felt that installing the ice scratchers behind the second set of idler wheels put them too far back to do any good. I have no pictures right now. I do not know of any negative affect.

Did you move your wheels to the inside Bill or did your sled come that way? On the 800 Gade the front 2 wheels are on the outside. Happy with the cable style scratchers?

thanks for the pic and info :drinks:

!

I noticed mine doing that but i snugged them with tie wrap so they don't move. I would like an eye bolt but would have to move them i think to be able to do it.

Just bought new tips for them as well.

Friend of mine badly hurt from his getting caught and stopping his sled.

Regardless of how you stow them, that loop is vunerable to getting "grabbed" by brush or limbs alongside of narrow trails, or when boondocking off trail. I had used the eye-bolt method of stowing, but had them bent or broken off on a couple of occassions the last two winters (prior to that I used the scratchers that mounted to the ski-bolt........... but that is a whole other problem issue, backing up, etc). Now I am trying the plastic cable-tiewrap method when I want to stow them. Putting a baggie full of tie-wraps in my tank bag, lol.

timbo

I also used the gas line hose as these wore grooves in the rails on my Polaris last year. You can see in the pic that I move the idler wheels to the inside. I took measuerments and evrything looks like it should clear when the suspension is compressed. I used this type of scratchers because I had them on hand and they where never used.

post-269-0-66990500-1388444979_thumb.jpg

Edited by 600IQHO

Pipeman, on 29 Dec 2013 - 9:25 PM, said:

Did you move your wheels to the inside Bill or did your sled come that way? On the 800 Gade the front 2 wheels are on the outside. Happy with the cable style scratchers?

!

Pipeman, on 29 Dec 2013 - 9:25 PM, said:

!

My wheels came that way. I like them now. Where ever you put them be sure to get the eye hooks so you can secure them when not needed.

lindasledgirl, on 30 Dec 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

I noticed mine doing that but i snugged them with tie wrap so they don't move. I would like an eye bolt but would have to move them i think to be able to do it.

Just bought new tips for them as well.

Friend of mine badly hurt from his getting caught and stopping his sled.

That ty wrap will break in cold temps Linda. I know rom experience. I used the heaviest tyrap made and it broke in cold temps. Edited by Saguenay Bill

Last year the Arctic cat dealer (next to where we stayed) said the was no room for them on the rails of short track ski doo so he mounted them on the front ski's, inside and they worked great. Now I installed Rouski wheels and they had to come off!

wow ( 600 iqho ) i have a set of rsi mounted same place as you,,,, and a set of tric scratchers mounted on the stabilizer bar in front and they work great and can back up with them ( need lots of snow and ice for 144 x 1.75 ) and can put ski wheels on the skies ,lots of room. just no room for luggage ..lol.

I would like to explain what happened to me last winter with the cable icee scratchers. We were riding the north shore, day after the gathering. The north shore had 2' of snow. 1st 2 days it was cold but not as cold as the 3rd and 4th day. The morning of the 4th day it was -40. After Dave dug out about 100# of fozen ice from his suspension we left Baie Comeau. About 20 miles later my heat light came on. I stopped and I had ice on the inside of the tunnel that had bridged across at the front end of the tunnel. There was loose snow packed up inside the rest of the tunnel and it was not contacting the heat exchanger. Got the loose stuff out but couldn't reach the frozen ice. Rode another 20 miles, same thing, dug it out and then another 20 miles. Tied up scratchers with HD tywraps which broke due to cold temps. This was the routine to Forestville. Put it in a heated garage, got ice melted and thought all was good to go, the following day. Left Forestville next day, temps were a little warmer, maybe -30C. Rode to within 15 miles of Coronet and same thing, temp light can on. I didn't want to hold up the other guys so I got a lift back to the Delta, $300 on rollback. Couldn't find a local to do it. Took to dealer and he had not seen it happen before so he called SD. The SD Tec guy said cut off some of flap as too much snow was going up into the tunnel. Next day, about 135 miles into ride same thing happened. Noticed scratchers were falling down. Got back to Delta and went to Canadian Tire and got spool of wire. The wire would last about 2-3 days and then break.<br />As long as wire was holding I had not problem with it heating up. That is why I went to the eye bolts. Learn from my experience. farmerold told me about the eye bolts, not my idea.

I have been using the scratchers that bolt on the underside of the running boards, I believe they are a Kimpex model, when lifted up they hook onto a clip that is fastened to the underside of the running board. This will be my 3rd season with them and I have used them more often than I thought I would, not so good in reverse but so are many others, I like these cause there is no damage or issues with the rails like everyone above is experiencing, the only issue I have with them to date is when they are in use for a long period the spray builds up ice in the clip and it needs to be cleaned out before hanging them up.

I looked at that type that mounted under the running boards. Towing was using them and I liked the way they mounted up & out of the way. After looking at some picture from TY of them It did not look like they would work on a Renegade due to all of the evacuation holes and the "foot cleats" on the boards. No real flat area on the bottom side to mount them. I did not have any to hold up and try to position, I came to this conclusion just by looking at pictures.

Now that the ice scratchers are mounted that means I will never ever need them! That is good because that means the trails will be perfect! lol!

Great info and pics from everyone, thank you very much for the input. I am going to install the Ice Storm reversible scratchers and move my rear set of front wheels to the inside like 600IQHO did. These also come with a powder coated hanger to put them on when not in use. We'll see how they work out.......Thanks again!