Gaspe Conditions

spectre

I'm looking to make the loop around the Gaspe starting out on Mon. 1/13/14 from Hotel Universal. I have been watching the conditions for the past couple of weeks and they have shown the trails to be good. I noticed today that several on the South shore are now showing risky to acceptable conditions. I have made the loop 3 times in the past but never this early in the season. Any information that could be offered regarding trail conditions would be greatly appreciated. Will be taking 5 days returning to RDL on Friday. Thank You for any info provided.

Edited by spectre

I see the weather for Saturday does not look good. Sunday looks a little better. I was mainly curious as to whether or not anyone has done the loop recently and how the trails are leaving Hotel Universal and RDL.

I'm in RDL right now. Trails are awesome. 325 mile ride yesterday

However, trails are slightly harder right now, only way to describe it as trails being groomed over and over for weeks with no new snow. Air and moisture leaves the snow and base of trail doesn't loosen up as much. Only in this case it came from the rain last Monday. THUS, I think if it rains hard tonight and tomorrow, trails will be solid ice. There is no fluffy snow underneath to absorb the water, nor any soft snow underneath for the groomers to bring to the surface after the rain and subsequent freeze up. Just my best guess.

mike

Thanks Mike, How long are you in RDL for ? I believe we road together with Saqueny Bill up at Lac St. Jean a few years back.

Were not leaving Central NY until Sunday morning if you get updates I would greatly appreciate it..................John

I hope to be there on the 22nd, hope its good!

Got my ice scratchers ready! lol

Thanks for the updates!

Linda

Edited by lindasledgirl

Spectre, Don't want to steer you wrong, so just my opinion from what I see outside. Rain mist for hours, last two hours were/are steady rain.

Plenty of snow but the trail top layer already being hard, once this rain turns to cold, the trail will be hard as a rock or ice.

Only sleet and snow at the end of the storm could save things. Depending how much rain, might be flooding also. Even if just a setback, and groomers could fix it, will take a few days for them to get to all the trails.

Hope that helps,

mike

Spectre, what did you decide?

It is supposed to rain til around 8 AM tomorrow but it has stopped raining now. Very foggy.

I had to say don't come and then it turns out good. Just doesn't look promising.

Good luck.

mike

Mike, thanks for the report, we also have rooms reserved for Sun. the 19th of Jan. at the universal for the start of a Gaspe trip. Is there any way we could get you to stay a couple more days LOL. No seriously though your reports have been very helpful to us and we will miss them. We are wide open and though we would like to do the Gaspe this trip we will go wherever there is good snow, just have to figure it out and maybe cancel those reservations. I do get the feeling from you though at least in RDL area that 6" or so of snow would put us back in business

Thanks Viper, only your Visa card could keep me here longer.

A lot can happen in a week to change things. Don't give up yet.

If the trails get icy, it will take something to cover up the ice that isn't blown away by spinning tracks.

mike

Thanks Viper, only your Visa card could keep me here longer.

A lot can happen in a week to change things. Don't give up yet.

If the trails get icy, it will take something to cover up the ice that isn't blown away by spinning tracks.

mike

Well I do have a deposit on three rooms and I don't know how much time I have to give to cancel so maybe you can use it lol. Oh by the way I have no idea why my font just changed

Viper I see you talking about resevations at The Universal, does it book up often or are you just being safe? We are going up there sometime in Feb. dont know the date yet. Hope to start from there. I know its always safe to make reservations but if you are like us and cant really plan on a solid date its hard to.

Viper I see you talking about resevations at The Universal, does it book up often or are you just being safe? We are going up there sometime in Feb. dont know the date yet. Hope to start from there. I know its always safe to make reservations but if you are like us and cant really plan on a solid date its hard to.

It is a pretty big place and I have never had a problem getting a room there, but we needed 3 rooms and that is our starting point for a bag trip. We don' t plan out every night just take it as it comes maybe try to call ahead earlier in afternoon but it is nice to have that dropping point locked up. There are not that many places with secure parking, so we really want to drop there and not spend time sunday night driving around looking for a hotel. You never know there could be a hockey tournament................or a cheerleader convention lol

Thanks Mike for the info. We're coming up regardless. Two of the people in our group still work for a living and had to juggle their vacation time. I see the Gaspe map is still showing good all the way around the loop hopefully it will work out.

To wulsock1 I have been staying at the Universal several times a year for the past 10 years or so and have never had a problem getting a room even on short notice.

John

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/qc-a8_metric_e.html

I think we just need to get past Wednesday and we are back to cold and snow. Have fun!

Thanks Mike for the info. We're coming up regardless. Two of the people in our group still work for a living and had to juggle their vacation time. I see the Gaspe map is still showing good all the way around the loop hopefully it will work out.

To wulsock1 I have been staying at the Universal several times a year for the past 10 years or so and have never had a problem getting a room even on short notice.

John

The conditions for the Gaspe of been downgraded to acceptable now

http://www.infomotoneigistegaspesie.com/en/condition.php

Edited by Jackstraw

They do a very good job with labeling the condition and linking to the actual trail. Good example of what sled magazine might look at to improve

They do a very good job with labeling the condition and linking to the actual trail. Good example of what sled magazine might look at to improve

X2 Schooter they have a great site simple and to the point, alot of the other clubs try to break the trail down into more sections but use references that are not on the map

Looks like Sled Magazine took some step to put a link in the update direct to the Trail. THANK YOU for listening and working on increasing the usability of the site. good improvement

Schooter