March 17-20th Gaspesie Loop

smclelan

Four of us struck out last Monday for a loop of the Gaspesie. The Gaspe again as always did was incredible!

Day 1:

Left from Point a la Croix around noon toward Albertville to meet the Groomer man and buy permits for my three riding partners. Trails out of PALC were great, from the cable bridge to the clubhouse was perfection. Groomer did his magic the night before!! Part way there my front shock collapsed, so we dumped hot water on it at the clubhouse and it popped back out. We only made it a few miles from there and it did it again so we went into the SD dealer in Amqui and got it replaced. Hmmm no warranty left and there was only 27,000km on the shock! From the dealer we went over and dropped our bags at the Hotel Select and toured up to the Radar Tower and back before dark (March sledding is great).

Day 2:

Headed up the 591 to Matane and crossed the new bridge, very impressive. The trail were perfect all the way. We stopped for breakfast at the St Adleme clubhouse, a great spot to eat. The next 20 miles the trails were pretty good but had been traveled. 20 miles out we got to where the Cap Chat groomer turns and it was fresh from the night before right into the St Paulin Relais. We coffeed there and headed for Mont St Perrie, perfect trails all the way and incredible blue skies. Landed in MSP dropped the bags and drove up to the hang glider look off around 6pm (March sledding!!)

Day 3:

Another beautiful sunny clear day!! We were leap frogging a bit with another group we met at MSP through Murdochville and right into La Cache. Not much traffic other than them. The trail from Murdochville to La Cache was spectacular as alway on a clear day. Our plan was to head south from La Cache and go to Carleton that night, however the trails were too nice so we headed North up the 595 to St Paulin with the plan of going to Matane for the night. Saw several moose on the way up to St Paulin. Landed in Matane and there wasn't a room available in town so we head back to Amqui for the night, in before dark 280mi (March sledding)

Day 4:

This was our short day going back to the truck in PALC so we didn't rush around plus they were calling for 30cm of snow. Met Groomer at the club for coffee then headed down the 587 through Matepedia. This is an incredible little trail and well worth the 3hr ride if you have never done it. We rode the whole thing with anywhere from 3" of fresh powder to about 10" (Gaspe Sledding!!)

All in we did about 870miles and had perfect trails and perfect weather. I don't think in the whole trip we met more than a dozen sleds. That said day 4 on the way back to PALC there were places is was snowing blowing so hard visibility was down to 300ft and it was hard to see from red post to red post......still beats the hell out of working!!

A couple pics of our tour

post-5-0-01968500-1395707553_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-43407600-1395707569_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-37728700-1395707585_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-78601200-1395707596_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-39142400-1395707640_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-41079900-1395707666_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-36828200-1395707688_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-76913500-1395707729_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-50742100-1395707756_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-14003300-1395707784_thumb.jpg

Nice trip & report Steven! The Gaspesie is a very special place. Isn't it wonderful to have clear & sunny days with perfect trails & amazing snow levels! What a March they are having this year. Wish I didn't have prior commitments or I would be there right now.

Thanks for sharing!

Tom

Enjoy Phil. Wish I was there with you boys. Glad Jim got his horse fixed today. Nice with the longer daylight to make it in to Amqui at sunset even with the repair delay!

Have fun & be safe! Big storm brewing in Atlantic. On its way north. May hit you guys big time Thursday or Friday. Be prepared!

It doesn't get much better than that! Nice trip boys.We will sound like a bunch of old timers someday when we talk about the season of 2014 . "Remember back in 2014 when there was so much snow we .............." Gotta love it!

Hey! Well done! (It sounds like you got your money's worth out of that shock)

And good timing getting into the sweet spot on the weather. Those blue-sky days last week just don't get much better.

Too bad we zigged when you guys zagged, but we'll cross paths one of these times for sure.

I got my eyes on that noreaster blowing in this week Tom, it seems the brunt of it will be NFLD and the Gaspe will see only 20klm/hr winds with 10cms of snow, but a lot can change from now to then. Gaspe is slways has unpredictable weather.

I got my eyes on that noreaster blowing in this week Tom, it seems the brunt of it will be NFLD and the Gaspe will see only 20klm/hr winds with 10cms of snow, but a lot can change from now to then. Gaspe is slways has unpredictable weather.

Don't believe that!! There has never been a snowfall in the Gaspe that was only 10cm!!

:rofl::rofl:

salut steven !!

thx for stopping by again !!..great to meet you all !!

blue sky earlier this morning..-27 c around 7 30 am...-7c right now in the shade...sky is getting dirty !!

hi to all !!!

jean-guy :drinks:

The pictures I posted were taken by one of the guys with me, it was his first time to the Gaspesie and he thouroghly enjoyed it. I have done the trip many, many times and never took my camera out of the bag. I got his memory card so I had some pics for the thread. Here is one of his finer pictures he may not have wanted me to share!! We all have one of these or similar from a trip or two.

:drinks:

post-5-0-67842000-1395768513_thumb.jpg