Fuel solution on my Polaris

Phil 1

Nice Set up Phil you're gonna really like having that extra fuel where touring long distance.

Here's what I did on my sled, homemade set up with Koplin tanks from our local Canadian Tire. One on each side gives me 10 litres or 2 1/2 CDN gallons. I imagine your Rotopax are equavilant in capacity.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Is the machined aluminum bracket something you made JG?

It looks like the tanks miss rubbing on both the edge of the runningboards and also the surface under them so there is no worry about wearing through the tanks, correct?

Bought a fuel pack jr from Koplin. Nice, durable container, with a 1.5 gallon capacity. Plan on using this during my summer/fall ATV rides. Just need to figure out where to mount it on a Raptor... Might need one of those brackets JG manufactured.

The Ski-doo has a 3 gallon jerry can mounted above the tunnel. Stock can from my MXZ sled which was retrofitted to fit the XR. Glad I have it, but have never needed it for myself - as I only used it to refuel a few friends with Yahamas.

Phil, nice 928. Gots a vintage silver 944 in my stable. Headache to work on, but fun to drive when working.

As they say, "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"... After mike went home that trip, I was touring solo. I took a wrong turn and ended up with many more miles away from my planned and only fuel stop in the area. I was about a mile out of town when my sled stopped. The first group of sledders paused, then rode off. The next group stopped and one of them had the Ski-Doo spare can. Great guys! I took well deserved ribbing from them and they refused to take cash from me. They were from Maine. Very thankful they came along and they had spare gas!

Phil, I like your dual jug fuel and oil setup. On the same trip above where I ran out of gas, I had a fresh new gallon of oil fall out of my bag. I think what I'm going to do is use the Polaris bags that came with my Adventure and bungee a small tank in the bag tray when I do the touring rides this season.

Picture of the guys that saved my day...

P1000626.JPG

Edited by SnowCrazed

hparaptor the big problem was no tunnel on Rush models... The car is an 2008 Cayman "S"... loads of fun.

SnowCrazed I hear you on wrong turns, we have used spare fuel more than once.

Happy New Year guys...

Here is what we did when we had our Switchbacks. 5 litre can on the right running board and a gallon of oil on the left. The black sled is my wifes Adventure, my Pro R is in front.

attachicon.gifIMG_0802.JPG

This pic shows the oil on the other side.

attachicon.gifIMG_0822.JPG

Just 2 bungies to hold each jug in place and no drilling. I never did have to use the gas cans. I did come really close on the way to Chapais but we made it.

This also help keep the weight a little lower.

Some good old PA ingenuity!! That is the same setup I use on my Switchbacks. 2 1/2 gal gas jug on the left board and 2 gals of oil on the right. I do use a ratchet strap in addition to the bungies, however.

Phil might want to consider this setup.......... If i remember correctly, i just may have barrel-rolled a time or two, and had no problem with the jugs "going anywhere".....lol

timbo :search:

Edited by timbo

hparaptor the big problem was no tunnel on Rush models... The car is an 2008 Cayman "S"... loads of fun.

SnowCrazed I hear you on wrong turns, we have used spare fuel more than once.

Happy New Year guys...

Forgot about the topology of the Rush. Thanks for pointing it out.

Guess I will need more training on body layout of German vehicles. Will make it a point to take a refresher course next time I visit Stuttgart...

Is the machined aluminum bracket something you made JG?

It looks like the tanks miss rubbing on both the edge of the runningboards and also the surface under them so there is no worry about wearing through the tanks, correct?

Correct on the rubbing, they are spaced far enough from the side of the tunnel and the foot board, all precalculated and yes vt_blueyamaha54 the aluminum brackets are homemade, made them myself in the shop, would you like some?

Correct on the rubbing, they are spaced far enough from the side of the tunnel and the foot board, all precalculated and yes vt_blueyamaha54 the aluminum brackets are homemade, made them myself in the shop, would you like some?

Very nice job! They are a very well thought out and sturdy design. Thank you for your kind offer but I fear the cost to send them to the US would be steep.

(I have resisted the peace-of-mind carrying extra gas gives but may have to reconsider soon - )