Joliette/Coin Lavigne/St-Alexis des Monts 30January2016 photo ride-report

towing

We had planned with our buddy Coyote a 2 days ride to Parent this weekend but unfortunately we had to change plans at the last minute because Krikri which has a very very persistent cough for several days has cracked one of her rib while coughing. She still wanted to do it but I refused. Instead we had tried a single day ride from home to see how she would handle to be shake on a sled, surely not an ideal treatment in her condition but no way to convince her to stay at home!

It was under a dark gray sky, -7C that Krikri and I accompanied by Steph and Snowcruiser started our ride from St-Thomas de Joliette.

DSC07893_zps8sjd2mxv.jpg

We started on the #43 trail north, the fields were beautiful and very fast

DSC07897_zpspg2mwdxn.jpg

Since the fields were nice we decided to go through St-Norbert (local trail).

DSC07899_zps7rws3i2b.jpg

The trail was thin, the snow tend to brownish but grooming was perfect giving flat and fast trail

DSC07908_zps2dbemxwg.jpg

We reach the #63 trail junction that we took towards St-Gabriel de Brandon. The trail conditions were better than last week in the woods and we ride at normal trail speed .

DSC07928_zpsz1fh0pw2.jpg

While conditions are better, the trail had tinted compared to the previous week ... not so nice to look at but it ride great

DSC07933_zpsyw3oo7ey.jpg

higher we go up north and the better it was

DSC07940_zpsasixqroc.jpg

We took a first break near the warming hut at the top of the hill in St-Damien.

DSC07948_zpscuocqp85.jpg

After consultation with my ride partners we decided to go west and continue on the #63.

DSC07952_zpsxoub4kyc.jpg

We see that the rain received last Tuesday in the south was under snow form there

DSC07958_zps6gvj2doa.jpg

Snow cover was better and the trail was beautiful even in big hills

DSC07953_zpszvvmvjg8.jpg

At the club change just north of the St-Jean de Matha tube sliding, there was a small section(less than a mile) that was not groomed recently (not sure it was). In fact we then realized that they were in the first grooming pass in the sector.
There is a decent snow cover but it will be much better after a few more groomer passes

DSC07970_zps9khvdw9n.jpg

Farther before arriving Ste-Émilie de Energy village, the trail is on a new path. Very nice and less twisty than the old route. There is a hill to watch out at the moment for those who are not studded. Snowcruiser got trapped by the ice spot in the center of the trail mostly up and had to backup to the bottom to try again. With a bit of momentum going in or on the sides it goes up well.

DSC07976_zpsnkqwz6cw.jpg

The norther we got the better the snow cover was, with a couple more Dozer passes it will be very nice.

DSC07986_zpsblfu9gob.jpg

We took a break at the Pourvoirie Bazinet

DSC07995_zpsnslrux4l.jpg

North of the outfitter, the conditions become full winter

DSC08003_zpsllrhhewm.jpg

We then forked on the west side towards Coin Lavigne. Do not do like us and follow the groomed road instead of climbing the big hills just before Le Coin Lavigne ... the dozer bypasses the mountain by the road and it is way better because the hills were pretty bumpies.

DSC08028_zpsuqtgsox2.jpg

We decide to go west to had our lunch either at Notre-Dame de la merci or St-Donat. There was a detour indicated for the trail that leads us behind the restaurant instead of taking the trail by following the car road as usual.

DSC08023_zpscunuz4gz.jpg

This is actually a supposedly temporary detour because there were wood cuts on the other side. The dozer cannot groom on this side because of a too small bridge I think. It therefore makes a segment about +3 miles not groomed in big bumps. Even I'm having a good skid on my sled Krikri had a hard time with his cracked rib in those moguls ... It was already nearly noon so we decided to change plans, tack and going to lunch at Coin Lavigne.

DSC08024_zps4celk4mn.jpg

Lot of people but having arrived early, we lunch there without much waiting.

DSC08026_zpsor2ajsgd.jpg

It's funny to see the rabbits going everywhere around the sleds

DSC08017_zpsxg3f7dh3.jpg

They also traded deer for horses this year

DSC08018_zpstsslpbjy.jpg

So we changed our plans and decided to go east where we had good conditions last week. We took the #33 trail north that ride along the park.

The trail along the small river was beautiful

DSC08033_zpsemmldoay.jpg

A bit of ice in some curves but otherwise very good

DSC08035_zpsjhp3xr17.jpg

About halfway to Rouge-Mattawin (the cantine) we switched east on a local trail and went toward La Glacière. Good snow but bumpy

DSC08048_zpsodytrjwj.jpg

We pass La Glacière and took the #350 trail. Bumpy at start but conditions improved significantly once east of the #23 junction.

DSC08056_zpswfbfsk9i.jpg

Although the trail showed signs of wear by traffic it was still very fast and we had our smile returned in these good conditions

DSC08060_zpsngdyp7ic.jpg

We took a break at the intersection with #345 trail. It's funny to see the letter box in the middle of the woods ... and there was mail!

DSC08065_zpsrgpr6cha.jpg

After consultation, we decided to continue on the #350 towards the Pourvoirie du Lac Blanc, good rolling trail. The trail à Gaston section had some holes caused by traffic in few curves or hills but was still good for a Saturday late afternoon. It was too dark to take moving pics from there

DSC08073_zpsh0bz8lq5.jpg

Just before arriving at Lac Blanc, we hesitates at the junction if we would continue to go down #350 trail to St-Paulin or immediately cut down by Mandeville ... the first plan being a bit ambitious with the late hour we move to the second most reasonable option and return by Mandeville

DSC08078_zpska0nae0n.jpg

We knew it was a trail with a more rugged base on some sections and would be a bit slower, still early season conditions (I know it’s weird to tell that end of January)

DSC08082_zpsfsrysmqw.jpg

We did a final fuel up in Mandeville before returning to St-Gabriel de Brandon by passing on the Maskinongé lake trail shortcut which was very nice. South of St-Gab, we had the chance to ride on a just groomed trail which was flat, very soft and fast. We passed the dozer a few miles before #3 trail

DSC08086_zpsyrtaav8y.jpg

# 3 trail had very little wera and was very nice and fast and we spun quickly to Berthierville and had dinner at Le Baladin, a small family style restaurant located along #158 road near a roundabout and right next to the Carcamp snowmobile club garage.

DSC08087_zpsp8pqxv38.jpg

We have finally had the better trail conditions to ride south, snowmobiles clubs did miracles with little snow they have. The #3 up to home was in winter conditions and savanna not frozen last week at the beginning of the #43 trail was now completely groomed. We were home around 8:00 pm with 196 miles on the dreammeter. Krikri, apart the ungroomed section and a few painful rolling movements had enjoyed her ride with her damaged rib.

Here our final path travelled

carter_zpsukxjdoku.jpg

So in summary, a ride at the image of our winter but conditions improved everywhere. A good notch on snow level north and on the south smoother trails despite the snow color that tinted to brown in the south with the lack of snow that dozers recycle at their best ... seems recycling is in the air these days!

I feel that history repeats itself this week, again some rain in the forecast for the week ahead ... We already got rain yesterday night at home and temperature stayed warm today, it just begin to freeze back actually. We took a hit here in the south but norther should be fine

We hope for the best but as it goes now, not sure the season will stretch a long time in March ... Better to ride and enjoy now it when it is possible…

Alain :drinks:

Nice ride Alain, never thought that riding south was possible, thought for sure you would trailer a bit , it seems you did not suffer a bit of thin trail out of Jolliette but coming back from the south, whatta gamble Alain, glad to hear you won your hand.

You and KriKri are a team to be reckoned with.

Very nice Alain. Blow the warm away and do a snow dance... :drinks:

Thanks Phil! I'm worn out my boots but not enough... go some rain Sunday/Monday night, 3" new snow/sleet last night and rain on the top today. More snow in the north... We have to wait till it's finish to really see the real output... just on the edge now, don't now if i will have to trailer or start from home for the weekend

I knew you would be out there I was looking for you. Just did not cross paths. Maybe next time.

Few hours apart, better luck the next shot!

Very nice Alain. You showed two of my favorite things, a small bubbling river and beautiful animals of the forest. I hope Krikri snuck some carrots out of the restaurant for the rabbit.

mike

Thanks Mike, You know it's in my favorite too! Yes, Krikri loves all those small animals... she have many chinchillas and guinea pigs at home.

Nice ride Alain, never thought that riding south was possible, thought for sure you would trailer a bit , it seems you did not suffer a bit of thin trail out of Jolliette but coming back from the south, whatta gamble Alain, glad to hear you won your hand.

You and KriKri are a team to be reckoned with.

Thanks trailblazer, not sure how it will turn out for next weekend... have to wait until it freeze back

Your trail reports are always enjoyable.

A treat as always Alain!

Great Report as always.

My pleasure guys!

Thank you for the report, hope the ribs feel better, I know how much that hurts! Rode over 500 miles this weekend with a bad back.

Very enjoyable report as usual Alain. Best to Krikri for a speedy recovery. She is brave to go with the conditions un-known!! A cough with a cracked rib is very painful!!

Thank you guys! Krikri is pretty strong, the ride had not hurt her but she still coughing a bit and yes, it is painful... I remember when I had crack one myself few years ago after a strong contact in a soccer game, the first time I had sneeze had gone like ...Attttchou..ouchhhhhhhh!!!!

Thanks Alain and Krikri. Great report and pics as always. Its good to see that there is some decent riding in that area. You just have to go find the snow. Krikri, we hope you get better soon.

Jack & Sandi

You're welcome Jack&Sandi! hope for the best with the weather but at least even in the worst case we know we wont have to go far to find some white gold, just heading north a bit