Ride Report 2/5 - 2/12 (Mont Laurier, Val D'Or, Chibougamau, Roberval, Kanawata, Mekoos)

Banker

I've been a long time reader of the forum and figured I would try to post about our most recent trip. I apologize for not doing it trailside (maybe I'll have it figured out next time). We have a group of 6 of us that come up every year and saddlebag for 1200 to 1500 miles. We always have a great time and Quebec never ceases to amaze us. Anyway, this year 5 brand new sleds made their initial run (limited snow down here in the states); and all returned home safe and sound and with no major issues. Three Renegade 1200's and two 1200 Enduros. Trip report to follow.

Friday 2/5: arrived in Mont Laurier around 1:00pm. Unloaded, got settled in and headed up to Devil’s Mountain for a quick test ride. 5 brand new sleds this year; wanted to make sure everything was running OK before we headed out. 35 miles round trip – everything seemed to be in order for the trip. Trails were in decent shape. We were expecting worse based on what we had read, but were pleasantly surprised by the amount of snow and the overall conditions.

Saturday 2/6: left Mont Laurier about 8:30 and headed out 63 West toward Belleterre. Slight 40 mile round trip detour into Maniwaki (missed turn). Gassed up and got ourselves back onto 63. Gas in LaVerendrye to be safe ($2.00 per liter; beats pushing J). Back up onto 63 to Trout Lake for the night. If you haven’t stayed there, I’d recommend it. Nice place with great service from Noel and the boys. Arrived about 7:30pm with 290 miles for the day. Trails were in much better shape than we had expected. Apparently that section of 63 just opened last week. You could tell that in many places, but they really did a nice job getting it opened up. About 20F for most of the day.

Sunday 2/7: left Trout Lake about 9:45am as we knew we had a short ride up to Val D’Or. We were going to make a little loop to extend the day but it was Superbowl Sunday and we wanted to get in at a decent hour. Took 63 west into Belleterre. Gassed up and took the local trail up to 309. Unfortunately, 309 hadn’t seen a groomer in quite some time. It was 100 miles of very rough trail. Hopefully it’s been groomed since last Sunday but if not, I would avoid this route. We arrived at Hotel Forestel about 4:00. 140 miles of riding to forget. We’ve seen worse, just not in Quebec. A little cooler today; about 10F.

Monday 2/8: left ValD’Or about 8:45am. 83 up to Senneterre, then 93 up to Quevillon for gas. I’m pretty sure we must have passed a sign near Quevillon that said “Welcome to Quebec”, because things really started to take shape there. 93 up the railroad bed was in great shape (no problem keeping the speed limit there J). Gas in Desmaraisville - they have a tank and a pump now; no more 5 gallon cans. Chapais and Chibougamau were outstanding. Trails were awesome, signage was excellent, and the scenery was great. Two thumbs up! Arrived at the Hotel Motel Nordic around 4:45pm. 274 amazing miles for the day. It was around 0F for most of the day.

Tuesday 2/9: left Chibougamau around 8:30am. 93 down to the sawmill for gas and a snack; then on toRoberval for the night. Got into Chateau Roberval around 4:00. 205 miles of excellent trails for the day. About -5F for most of the day.

Wednesday 2/10: left Roberval about 8:45am. Took 83 towards Kanawata. The first 60 miles were not good at all. Very rough and in need of grooming. Once we crossed the one lane bridge over the Maurice River (I believe); thing turned excellent for us again. Arrived at Kanawata around 6:00pm with 224 miles for the day. About 10F most of the day.

Thursday 2/11: left Kanawata about 8:45am headed towards Mekoos (345 to 33 to 53). All of these trails were in excellent shape! Got in around 2:00pm, had lunch at Mekoos and decided to take a run down to St. Anne Du Lac to play around. A good test of the machines on the lake J. 2016 Renegade 1200 with the PB-80 clutch is the winner (over the two other 2016 Renegades, and the two 2016 Enduros). Back to Mekoos for dinner. 170 miles for the day and about -10F for most of the day.

Friday 2/12: left Mekoos about 9:00am headed back to Mont Laurier. Shot over to the Baskatong to Point David for lunch. The trail to the Reservoir (322) takes a logging road which is plowed down to the sand. I’m guessing it was about 3 miles of this (only a guess because I forgot to look – and then got caught up in “when should we turn around?” thoughts L). Finally found the goat path down to the Reservoir. It was staked all the way across (thank goodness as visibility was real poor). Had to keep telling myself that they wouldn’t have staked it if it wasn’t safe. Some color changes in the ice towards the middle and then a 20 foot or so wet spot. I’m sure it’s plenty thick and fine. Maybe someone can comment? Anyway, after lunch we decided to stay on 322 south instead of heading back across and onto the dirt road. Excellent decision! You have to love when that happens. 322 down to 13 and then back into Mont Laurier was excellent!! Checked into the hotel and then headed back out to Devil’s Mountain so that we would be sure to cross 1500 miles for the trip. Mission accomplished. 173 miles for the day. About -15F most of the day.

Saturday 2/13: left at 6:00am via the black trail for home. -23F when we left. 1500 miles of great riding in Quebec.

St Anne Du Lac

Well I just learned something new. I have a bunch of great pictures from my camera. Unfortunately, each one is 5MB+ and it looks like the limit is 4.88MB. Sorry about that. Unless someone knows a way around it?

Nice pics and a great run.

I open mine in MS Paint, shrink them, then upload to the website.

Phil 1 - I think you'll like Trout Lake. We had a great time. Noel, Marcel and Lewis are great guys. When we went there the trail had just opened up (63). Hopefully they'll have another pass or two of the groomer before you get there and it'll be real nice. Just a heads up in case you haven't been there - it was a little bit hidden away. We came in from the East. Came to a left turn on the trail on a road. The road continued straight ahead. I was calculating rough mileage so we knew we were close. Flipped a coin and decided we would go straight; but either way, no more than 5 miles. Well it wasn't more than 500 yards down the road (straight).

Phil 1 - I think you'll like Trout Lake. We had a great time. Noel, Marcel and Lewis are great guys. When we went there the trail had just opened up (63). Hopefully they'll have another pass or two of the groomer before you get there and it'll be real nice. Just a heads up in case you haven't been there - it was a little bit hidden away. We came in from the East. Came to a left turn on the trail on a road. The road continued straight ahead. I was calculating rough mileage so we knew we were close. Flipped a coin and decided we would go straight; but either way, no more than 5 miles. Well it wasn't more than 500 yards down the road (straight).

Yes I've been there I also recognize that little A frame it's just past T L L... Going West T L L it's right past the bridge... Thanks

Thanks for the report Banker

Excellant job for your first one

Your Intel will come in handy as I'm planning a trip for a group from CT, thinking of heading west.

Trout lodge sure is a real treat, stayed there a few years back, Noel is a real friendly guy.