GPS - what to buy

Teet F8SP

I am intersted in feedback regarding GPS units for trail riding.

Will use both US and Canada but I remember last time I was in Quebec it was very long distances between intersections and its nice to know what trail your on every now and then just to make sure your going in the right direction or to know approximately where you are at.

I don't need turn by turn directions, just need to know where I am in relation to trail or intersection.

Thanks in advance for all your input!

Garmin Montana (4" screen) , Oregon (3" screen) or Monterra (4" screen droid device.)

Although I prefer a dedicated GPSr for a variety or reasons you could also accomplish the functionality you are looking for with iMotoneige app on iOS or Droid. Also you could get turn by turn via trails on a Droid by using Oruxmaps and the free Tilou et Biscout map set if you are techie enough.

I use the iMotoneige app but don't want to use data or cell battery on the trail all day.

Looks like the Montana is popular choice and must hold up well in cold... Will check it out is there a special download for snowmobile trails?

I will check out the trakmaps...

Not sure if you could could get this on a US phone but did you know there is an app for android and I phone called I Motoneige?

An up to date fcmq interactive trail map with groomer info, lodging, gas, dealer locations, route planning and distances It uses the phones GPS and shows you exactly where you are on the trail. $3.99 cheaper than a GPS. Got it on my I pad for planning purposes and I phone for that " where the hell are we now " instances.

I use the iMotoneige app but don't want to use data or cell battery on the trail all day.

Looks like the Montana is popular choice and must hold up well in cold... Will check it out is there a special download for snowmobile trails?

It's down loaded to your phone and uses the phones GPS, so it isn't using data to my knowledge.

Although I always get a data plan now anyway when I go iMotoneige will cache the info you look at when on network and will work offline on the trail. Very cold weather makes it tough to use an iPhone as a primary GPSr. Thats one of the reasons I have a Montana 600.

Look at the GPS sticky thread and you can get free map set from Tilou et Biscuit v8.01 on Motoneigeauquebec.com