Launch point hotel for Gaspe Tour, Mont Joli to Matane

Fuse6

Planning our first Gaspe tour for first week of March. We only have 4-5 days to ride so thinking Mont Joli, Rimouskior Matane would be a better starting point vs RDL.

Any hotel suggestions that will allow us to park the truck for the week. Matane will be a 12 hour drive from home just east of Toronto so Rimouski would be a hour closer if there is an ideal place somewhere in the Mont Joli to Matane area.

Thanks

In Mont Joli this place,

http://www.monjolimotel.com/chambres.php

I believe they even were offering a service where if you had a problem they would send a driver with your truck to get you.

This was a couple years back so not sure if they still do it.

Rimouski not sure where to park i never stayed there gas and go.

Matane has...

Riotel, very nice.

http://www.riotel.com/fr/

Or

Quality Inn

http://www.qualityinnmatane.com/

Sure you can make it 5 days from RDL but I like your Idea of driving a little more. What's 1 more hr when you are driving 10 plus? Nothing.

Frankly the trail is nice and fast between RDL and Rimouski but you aint missing much there.

What's 1 more hr when you are driving 10 plus?

You are 100% right Iceman. Saw a car with a Shawinigan car dealer sticker on it today in Littleton, NH. Thought of you right away.

That's what I tell people who want to start from QC or St Raymond when they come to Saguenay.

What's 1 more hr when you are driving 10 plus?

You are 100% right Iceman. Saw a car with a Shawinigan car dealer sticker on it today in Littleton, NH. Thought of you right away.

That's what I tell people who want to start from QC or St Raymond when they come to Saguenay.

Hi Bill,

Yes sir, keep on trucking. Go the distance.

• 3 weeks later...

mont joli has a great one for trailers parking good guy right on trail ... matane has lots for parking at a few motels . and brp dealer right there, all near the ferry . ... we will be down for a week around the same time.i like it better than leaving rdl . have done both and almost got caught with no snow on the return to rdl.

Thanks guys for your responses.

I emailed the Mont Joli Motel Iceman suggested.

Looks like they have lots of room for parking, say they have good security and can arrange a driver if you need retrieved if something goes wrong.

Trying to figure out our route now. Just do the perimeter or from what I read on here sounds like we should try to hit the Murdochville - Lacache Trail, How important is it to see Perce Rock? Groomers valley sounds like a must do when there.

The Perce Rock is surely cool. Just to say you seen it if you are there. The trail into Perce is a dead end so its a down and back to go see the Rock.

Definately Murdochville-La Cache i would pick that over the Rock any day but I been there done that(rock) many times. So is different for me.

Hit the interiors if you can fit them in 595/597.

Also the 587 is a winner.

The Rock in Perce is iconic as far as sledding in the Gaspesie. When you go home and have a picture of you and/or your group in front of the Rock is a a memory that will last for a long time. Worth the time to go in.

My $0.02 worth.

No doubt. If you never been to the Rock and it's your first Gaspe run then that is much different.

The Rock is nice , good photo opp  , but i have only been able to ride right out to the hole in the rock  once in 15 years ,, the interior trails are supper and always have  great snow , sometimes the outside tour misses snow so it depends on the winter . the dead end trail to the rock was terrible 2 years ago because the lost the right away but i believe they have that fixed now

Grumpy.....

You're getting old old friend, your experience missing snow in RDL that you keep talking about was that one time you got caught 20 years back in March, if you plan it right you get it right. We did the tour in March this year from RDL and it was a long overdo dream come true. Weather was touch'n go but thanks to technology and smart team members we managed to escape the worst and profit from the best.

That pic of yours in front of the rock on sled I will never forget, back in the early '90's when I got started travelling across QC and we met, you talked about that trip with Rick on his 440 and you on the XLT pogo stick, must've been '94-'95, I was so envious and have been waiting for another winter like that to come along so I too could have that once in a life time shot. Still waiting.....

Alll to say when sledding in the Gaspe the rock is definetly a stop to do, Table au Roland #1 in town.

good luck

Trailblazer you are right... long time  ago  for sure but super trip  . and yes the new gps way is great but i let all my friends do that way faster than me . i will be back this year to try it again .. I will try and dig up that pics  under the rock arch.   and will post if possible