Launching for Cote Nord

doo4adoo

Looking at doing 4 days riding up the 3 to as far as we can with this. We are coming in from Ottawa and looking best place to leave from without spending forever on the black trail. Options being about a6hr truck to the Delta or taking the 138 past Quebec for about 2nrs. Not sure what this 138 is like if good or cow trail and then running north. 

Any thoughts and better suggestions are welcome. 

Thanks 

mike

Maybe drive to Les Escoumins  , The Pelchat is a decent place to go up the 3 from . The 138 is far from a goat path , It's good road IMO   Google has it at about 7 hours from Ottawa

Edited by dooright
add info

16 minutes ago, dooright said:

Maybe drive to Les Escoumins  , The Pelchat is a decent place to go up the 3 from . The 138 is far from a goat path , It's good road IMO

Yes for sure but is long drive from QC city. Probably closer to 4 hrs. 

I would go there it gives you more time to go further east on 3. 

But otherwise 

here is a bit closer but not by much check these out. Both have places to Park (not secured but just take normal precautions. 

Sacre Couer maybe 3 hours give or take from QC

http://www.hmcoronet.com/en

Saint Simeon probably 2 hrs east of qc 

http://www.motelhorizon.com/

Edited by iceman

Just something to think about.  I was in Amqui Fri night and spoke to a group that crossed the river from Matane to the 3 trail. He said the trail isn't or I should say wasn't groomed and they went 60 miles and turned around. It took them 5 hours to do the 60 miles.  Now that was last week.  May be call the clubs to get a trail report.  He said lots of snow.  There was 9in there group.  

2 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

Just something to think about.  I was in Amqui Fri night and spoke to a group that crossed the river from Matane to the 3 trail. He said the trail isn't or I should say wasn't groomed and they went 60 miles and turned around. It took them 5 hours to do the 60 miles.  Now that was last week.  May be call the clubs to get a trail report.  He said lots of snow.  There was 9in there group.  

Yup , most of TQ3 east of Godbout isn't maintained like a lot of the Quebec trails

13 hours ago, dooright said:

Maybe drive to Les Escoumins  , The Pelchat is a decent place to go up the 3 from . The 138 is far from a goat path , It's good road IMO   Google has it at about 7 hours from Ottawa

I would agree with Dooright, if you want to spend your time experiencing Cote Nord, take the 138 to Escoumins, depart from the Pelchat. Very accommodating, and  bilingual  to the snowmobile crowd. Great departure spot.

49 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

I would agree with Dooright, if you want to spend your time experiencing Cote Nord, take the 138 to Escoumins, depart from the Pelchat. Very accommodating, and  bilingual  to the snowmobile crowd. Great departure spot.

Absolutely, true, but the original post said 2hrs by truck east of QC city. That is no 2hr truck ride.

Edited by iceman

On 2017-02-05 at 6:06 PM, iceman said:

Yes for sure but is long drive from QC city. Probably closer to 4 hrs. 

I would go there it gives you more time to go further east on 3. 

But otherwise 

here is a bit closer but not by much check these out. Both have places to Park (not secured but just take normal precautions. 

Sacre Couer maybe 3 hours give or take from QC

http://www.hmcoronet.com/en

Saint Simeon probably 2 hrs east of qc 

http://www.motelhorizon.com/

I'm happy if Saint Simon is about 2 hrs. Travel time then on sled is not bad to ferry and the great white north. 

thanks for the feedback 

Mike

7 minutes ago, doo4adoo said:

I'm happy if Saint Simon is about 2 hrs. Travel time then on sled is not bad to ferry and the great white north. 

thanks for the feedback 

Mike

Says 175KM from QC city. By Road. Says 2hrs 13 minutes. May be a longer ride depending on how big your trailer is. And what road conditions are when you go.

Edited by iceman