Have some SPOT3 Emergency Beacon Questions

Fuse6

Any experts here on the use of the Spot3 or similar emergency beacon units?

Normally we are riding in a group of 4 or 5 and always thought if a bad incident did occur would hope for the best. Late last winter took my 18 year old son to Quebec for the first time. Was just going to be the two of us and I wanted some backup if there ever was a bad accident. This week heading out with just my wife and myself. So I bought a SPOT3 but still figuring out all the details.

I understand if the need ever happened and someone pressed the SOS button the GEO systems mother ship receives the signal which will give our exact GPS location via satellites so cell phone reception isn't required. They then contact emergency people in the area. 

What I'm not clear on is the chain of events that will take place once they receive the signal. How do they know if need ambulance, fire truck etc.etc.

On the SPOT web page in my account looks like there is a box I can type a message before depart on trip that would help dispatch determine needs. can some one confirm this. As an example could I type:

" On snowmobile trip in Quebec between Feb. 8-12, if SOS signal is received require immediate medical assistance, on trail only accessible by snowmobile "

i realize there is the other options that you can send check in messages or tracking options.

My main concern is understanding the SOS system in case of a true medical emergency.

I see in Towing pictures he rides with a unit mounted on his bars.

Thanks Steve

image.jpg

Edited by Fuse6

I have  a gen 3 Spot and thankfully I have not had to use it for rescue only to send messages home that we are fine. The way I understand the Spot system is that when you send an SOS it goes to their monitoring center in France and they will contact the local authorities here in Canada that there is an emergency requiring immediate assistance and the troops will come prepared for any type of emergency. During my career as  an Air Traffic Controller I dealt with our Rescue Coordination Centers on almost a daily basis and believe me these people are pros. They get an emergency message with a set of coordinates and you will be rescued! These devices are not meant to call for a spare belt! I hope I never have to use the Sos feature but I know if I do it will work.

Andy

My group had to use the SPOT 3 a few years ago in Maine. A fireman came across the accident and went to higher ground to call out with his radio. They were already on their way. It performed as advertised in this case.

24 minutes ago, RWM NH said:

My group had to use the SPOT 3 a few years ago in Maine. A fireman came across the accident and went to higher ground to call out with his radio. They were already on their way. It performed as advertised in this case.

Hope everyone was OK in your group?

16 minutes ago, markusvt said:

I like this.

2 hours ago, markusvt said:

X2

I have switch to the inreach this year, the explorer that's include GPS capability(very very basic gps). I have it since the beginning of this season and for sure it is in case of emergency way better than the spot because of the 2 way communication.

To answer Fuse6 question, If you ever had to trigger the SOS button of you SPOT it is the GEOS dispatch centre that is based in Houston Texas that will receive the request. At this point they have no idea what king of emergency. The first thing they will do is to call your contacts from the list you enter in your profile spot web page to try to figure out if it is a real emergency or a false alarm (trig by error) so your contact need to have an idea of where you are (snowmobile trip by example) they will probably check the information that you may have enter on your account profile but from what I read about on post emergency stories they mostly rely on the information the contacted peoples will give them. Next they will contact the emergency people of the area (911 crew in Quebec) with the information they gather and give them the ball... In Quebec it is usually the Sureté du Quebec police that will get the call and will try to figure out what to do. Remember, they just know you have push a button, a gps position + the information your contacts have give them,

The same situation with the inreach, you trig the SOS button. Next, the same GEOS dispatch in Houston Texas will receive the request.Then you have a reply that confirm that the emergency was received(not with the Spot) and then they will reach you in text mode on the inreach to gather what's happen and then will have all the information needed to push the ball to the local 911 crew that will immediately handle the emergency.

Force to admit that the spot 911 alone is not enough. In an emergency situation you can't just push the button and hoping, especially for us in winter... you will need to have someone that will contact the 911 in an other way and at this point the spot benefit will be that the emergency case had been already open and begin and the rescue people have the spot GPS position. The spot is more a complement than an emergency trigger solution. It shine to track you and report your position to your family, sending non life threatening information like the end of the day ok messages but being an unidirectional device, you send information and hope that it will reach the recipient but never have any confirmation of it.

An other thing to consider it is if one of your group get injured and you have to trig the SOS button for him. Don't forget that GEOs will call your home contacts that may live a considerable stress during many hours thinking that you got injured and not knowing what's going on.

For sure if you are not in a remote area most emergencies can be handle pretty fast but we have to understand that a big part of the trail system is in remote area where rescue is not easy/fast to handle. There are many emergency communication devices each with their cost+advantages and disadvantages and it is a subject that can be talk a lot.

Hope those clarifications somewhat help

Alain

On February 8, 2017 at 7:47 PM, towing said:

X2

I have switch to the inreach this year, the explorer that's include GPS capability(very very basic gps). I have it since the beginning of this season and for sure it is in case of emergency way better than the spot because of the 2 way communication.

To answer Fuse6 question, If you ever had to trigger the SOS button of you SPOT it is the GEOS dispatch centre that is based in Houston Texas that will receive the request. At this point they have no idea what king of emergency. The first thing they will do is to call your contacts from the list you enter in your profile spot web page to try to figure out if it is a real emergency or a false alarm (trig by error) so your contact need to have an idea of where you are (snowmobile trip by example) they will probably check the information that you may have enter on your account profile but from what I read about on post emergency stories they mostly rely on the information the contacted peoples will give them. Next they will contact the emergency people of the area (911 crew in Quebec) with the information they gather and give them the ball... In Quebec it is usually the Sureté du Quebec police that will get the call and will try to figure out what to do. Remember, they just know you have push a button, a gps position + the information your contacts have give them,

The same situation with the inreach, you trig the SOS button. Next, the same GEOS dispatch in Houston Texas will receive the request.Then you have a reply that confirm that the emergency was received(not with the Spot) and then they will reach you in text mode on the inreach to gather what's happen and then will have all the information needed to push the ball to the local 911 crew that will immediately handle the emergency.

Force to admit that the spot 911 alone is not enough. In an emergency situation you can't just push the button and hoping, especially for us in winter... you will need to have someone that will contact the 911 in an other way and at this point the spot benefit will be that the emergency case had been already open and begin and the rescue people have the spot GPS position. The spot is more a complement than an emergency trigger solution. It shine to track you and report your position to your family, sending non life threatening information like the end of the day ok messages but being an unidirectional device, you send information and hope that it will reach the recipient but never have any confirmation of it.

An other thing to consider it is if one of your group get injured and you have to trig the SOS button for him. Don't forget that GEOs will call your home contacts that may live a considerable stress during many hours thinking that you got injured and not knowing what's going on.

For sure if you are not in a remote area most emergencies can be handle pretty fast but we have to understand that a big part of the trail system is in remote area where rescue is not easy/fast to handle. There are many emergency communication devices each with their cost+advantages and disadvantages and it is a subject that can be talk a lot.

Hope those clarifications somewhat help

Alain

Good post Alain!!!