First Quebec trip In Two Years - Epic Fail

SRSchang

I live near Buffalo, NY, and my brother Dennis and nephew Max live in Knoxville, Tn.  Every year we take a week long saddlebag trip somewhere.  Well, this year we were excited to get back to Quebec for the first time in a couple years because of the covid crap.

I decided we would do a loop in western Quebec as my brother & nephew had never been there.  So I got our hotels booked, ordered the three 7 day trail passes online, got our ArriveCAN information filled out, and scheduled our covid tests at Walgreens.  Made sure that they had their vaccination cards and passports with them before they started the 10 hour drive from Tennessee to my house.  Things were coming together!

They got here Friday night a week ago, and Saturday morning we went for the drive through PCR tests.  Easy Peasy, got our negative results within an hour!  The excitement was building!  Starting the 7 hour drive to Temiscaming in the morning.

Decided to have a beer(s) Saturday evening.  My nephew suggested we check everything over to make sure we had it all and it was organized to make the border crossing as easy as possible.  So we started looking through ArriveCAN, our vaccine cards, ,passports,.....

Uh, Dennis, did you realize your passport expired in November?

when I saw the headline and started reading.....i thought..."it was going to be MUCH worse.

Let me tell you this my friend....from experience and talking with government officials.

a passport (even an expired one) is STILL proof of citizenship. I mean if the thing was expired 10 years ago that might be another thing.

My wife and I have crossed several times together to go to Toronto for concerts and the first time we used her (expired) one we didnt even know it when handing it to the guard. When he said " have a nice trip" and oh BTW....ma'am your passport expired awhile ago. The second time we used it (after the first) the guy never even said anything.

I would just call the Canada side customs at the place you plan on crossing (I'm assuming thats 1000 Islands) and ask them

My guess is (unless something has changed) you will be ok. Just bring as many other things as possible along. Birth certificate, etc...

So we ended up canceling what we could in Quebec, and booking a trip to the upper peninsula of Michigan.  We will never do that again.  I don't know if it's because fewer people are traveling to Canada to ride or what, but it was an absolute zoo!  We did get in 900 miles, half of which were on super whooped out trails, passing group after group with 20+ riders.  It got to be a joke, we'd pass a group of 20 riders, and 3 of them would throw a fist to say they were the last one in the group.  No mirrors required in Michigan.

We all agreed that next year, no matter what, we will do Gaspe again.  It's definitely worth the 14 hour drive each way (24 hours each way for the Tennessee guys).