We need help!

Sled Dog

Hello Quebec Riders! We are in a jam. Vacation plans to go snowmobiling 1/25-1/30. As you all know, conditions are not good. I'm looking for advice on the best place to launch from. Would like to saddlebag, 1000 miles but right now I'll settle for anything! Coming from Syracuse, NY and would like to keep the driving under 10 hours. We were going to drop at Maniwaki but that doesn't seem to promising right now. Monday would be our drive day.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

If we don't go, all I'll do is sit home and pick my nose. and drink. and swear. and probably sell my sled. (just kidding about the sled)

Thanks again for any help!

****************Update below 1/25/10**************************

Edited by Sled Dog

Hello Quebec Riders! We are in a jam. Vacation plans to go snowmobiling 1/25-1/30. As you all know, conditions are not good. I'm looking for advice on the best place to launch from. Would like to saddlebag, 1000 miles but right now I'll settle for anything! Coming from Syracuse, NY and would like to keep the driving under 10 hours. We were going to drop at Maniwaki but that doesn't seem to promising right now. Monday would be our drive day.

If we don't go, all I'll do is sit home and pick my nose. and drink. and swear. and probably sell my sled. (just kidding about the sled)

Altough I have 0 km in Quebec this year there is only one answer right now SAGUENAY.

PM Saguenay Bill for the most up to date conditions.

From Syracuse it's definately less than 10 hrs driving time

Altough I have 0 km in Quebec this year there is only one answer right now SAGUENAY.

PM Saguenay Bill for the most up to date conditions.

From Syracuse it's definately less than 10 hrs driving time

Yup, thats where I would go. 9.5hrs from Syracuse.

I am in the same boat vacation all week and lack of snow is becoming areal issue. Problem is I have deposits at 2 different places that I may lose. But I think I may take everybody elses advise and head back to Saguenay. I will make up my mind Saturday and wait to see if Alain posts conditions for the Zenon area. I also believe that Viper2 has been up there all week. I will see if he posts.

Guys whatever you do, keep an eye on the weather- They are calling for rain and 8 degrees on Monday around the Montreal area and 6 and rain in Saint Michel des Saints. Chicoutimi is forecasting snow all week. Check the forecast as it seems to change almost on an hourly basis.

I am in the same boat vacation all week and lack of snow is becoming areal issue. Problem is I have deposits at 2 different places that I may lose. But I think I may take everybody elses advise and head back to Saguenay. I will make up my mind Saturday and wait to see if Alain posts conditions for the Zenon area. I also believe that Viper2 has been up there all week. I will see if he posts.

I will ride saturday, but like TDI-HAM wrote, THE big question is what will fall on monday ???? before tuesday, it will be near impossible to be sure of something for the next....

Stay tuned...

Alain

I will ride saturday, but like TDI-HAM wrote, THE big question is what will fall on monday ???? before tuesday, it will be near impossible to be sure of something for the next....

Stay tuned...

Alain

Thanks for all your really good reports! I will look for your post on Saturday. We decided to play it safe and head up to Saguenay. The forcast looks so much better up there. We are going to move our reservations to the last week of Feb. at the Cabanon.

Thanks for the replies and keep em coming! Right now I'm thinking Hotel Safari and then riding up to Lac St Jean. I know it all depends on Mondays rain but that's what I'd like to do. Kills 2 birds, closer to home and its one of my snowmobile destinations! Only heard good about Hotel Safari.

Any other info anyone can give would be great! Sounds like there a few people in the same boat as us!

Motel Safari is a good starting point for sure. I have not been there since Bernard died but Im sure its as safe as ever. Had some good times with that guy!! Hopefully the rain doesnt hit Shawinigan before you get north!!

Motel Safari is a good starting point for sure. I have not been there since Bernard died but Im sure its as safe as ever. Had some good times with that guy!! Hopefully the rain doesnt hit Shawinigan before you get north!!

Hopefully some who is riding from M Safari this weekend can give us an opinion as to how the base will hold up to the rain.

Thanks for the replies and keep em coming! Right now I'm thinking Hotel Safari and then riding up to Lac St Jean. I know it all depends on Mondays rain but that's what I'd like to do. Kills 2 birds, closer to home and its one of my snowmobile destinations! Only heard good about Hotel Safari.

Any other info anyone can give would be great! Sounds like there a few people in the same boat as us!

Heading to St. Roche de Meckinac on Thurs the 28th for a loop up to chibugimou and over to Val dor. The conditions for the most part sound good. Not many other reports though

My gang just got back yesterday. Started in St. Raymond, up around Lac St. Jean by way of Relay 22. Started around and had to cut it short due to breakdown, damn Ski Doo E-Tech. Had to detour down to the HI then back via 23. From what they did ride, they reported very good conditions. Not sure what will happen after tomorrow. :unknw:

We cancelled. Sucks big time. But it was the right thing to do. Not worth driving 7 hours for crappy, wet, icy conditions. I hope for the people that did have to go (Actionjack) that the conditions wern't too bad.

Also, I tip my hat to Motel Safari. I called to cancel and she was totally understanding and didn't charge us. Now that is cool! That will make me plan our next trip to include them, even if we have to drive further.

My next trip is planned for March 8. Is it too much to hope that there will be snow? Am I asking too much?

WHAT! I've been watching the radar all the way up. I do not think it rained that much in Shawinigan and it def did not north of there. Oh well, I'll email a picture tomorrow. We're almost to Plattsburg now

YES IT DID! Rain most of the day up here in Saguenay! Rode from the HI to Onachaway and back all rain most of the day! Just got our suits out of the dryer. I even had the trash bags on. trails very wet and a lot of snirt! We need cold and snow bad, I will try again Tuesday and see what it brings.

We cancelled. Sucks big time. But it was the right thing to do. Not worth driving 7 hours for crappy, wet, icy conditions. I hope for the people that did have to go (Actionjack) that the conditions wern't too bad.

Also, I tip my hat to Motel Safari. I called to cancel and she was totally understanding and didn't charge us. Now that is cool! That will make me plan our next trip to include them, even if we have to drive further.

My next trip is planned for March 8. Is it too much to hope that there will be snow? Am I asking too much?

Rich

I think you guys did the right thing.It looks more like april then winter right now.It rained all over the Province.I am leaving on feb 12th and as we speak,we might report our trip if we don't get a good snowfall.

YES IT DID! Rain most of the day up here in Saguenay! Rode from the HI to Onachaway and back all rain most of the day! Just got our suits out of the dryer. I even had the trash bags on. trails very wet and a lot of snirt! We need cold and snow bad, I will try again Tuesday and see what it brings.

Sorry if I misled anybody. I guess i was not fed the radar data for that far north. Were at the Safari and heading north in the morning. I'll post what we find assuming I have wifi access. No idea where were staying yet.

Sorry if I misled anybody. I guess i was not fed the radar data for that far north. Were at the Safari and heading north in the morning. I'll post what we find assuming I have wifi access. No idea where were staying yet.

Hey, good luck, Let me know the conditons. We are heading from St. Roche up to Chibugamu on Fri.....Trail reports welcomed......Good luck to you.

Kel

My gang just got back yesterday. Started in St. Raymond, up around Lac St. Jean by way of Relay 22. Started around and had to cut it short due to breakdown, damn Ski Doo E-Tech. Had to detour down to the HI then back via 23. From what they did ride, they reported very good conditions. Not sure what will happen after tomorrow. :unknw:

Sorry to hear...what happened to the E-tech. I have one and heading up on the 28th....anything I should check out?

Best of luck Action Jack! If your planning on heading out that must mean its still ridable, which is good. Maybe an inch or 2 of snow on the ice and you'll be good! I'm sure you guys will have a good time regardless!

Best of luck Action Jack! If your planning on heading out that must mean its still ridable, which is good. Maybe an inch or 2 of snow on the ice and you'll be good! I'm sure you guys will have a good time regardless!

Woke up to find the TV showing snow around montreal and snow predicted for today in Launadiere and a mix pretty much everywhere else. We shall see what we find.

Sorry to hear...what happened to the E-tech. I have one and heading up on the 28th....anything I should check out?

Blew 2 belts, then lost the secondary bearing, had that fixed at a dealer, about 75 miles later, the jackshaft snapped in 2 and damaged the bracket that holds the shaft bearing. I've never seen a jackshaft snap like that. Can't wait to find out the cause. I say that there was a flaw in the mounting of the jackshaft. The dealer that fixed the clutch said the motor must have been out of alignment. No way will that cause that much damage. I could see the belts but not all that. My dealer will get the sled this weekend, can't wait. :unknw:

Typed a whole long post and I wasn't logged in Ugh! Here comes the short version. Saddlebagging this area of QC is over until an extended very cold snap. M7 impassable. 351 washed out snow bridge. 318 E of 351 fast moving open water river. Lots of water crossing, swamped trails and water holes. In between the grooming held up remarkably well. With all the water I have no idea how they'll groom some places again. I think you could go just about any where and get some miles riding until you find an obstacle and going in another direction. Prob not worth it to many.

We managed to make it to La Tuque with some determination but we will not go back that way. We are hoping that Alma is possible so we can try to get back via 23, but I kind of doubt it. The day was an adventure and fun about 3/4 of the time.

Typed a whole long post and I wasn't logged in Ugh! Here comes the short version. Saddlebagging this area of QC is over until an extended very cold snap. M7 impassable. 351 washed out snow bridge. 318 E of 351 fast moving open water river. Lots of water crossing, swamped trails and water holes. In between the grooming held up remarkably well. With all the water I have no idea how they'll groom some places again. I think you could go just about any where and get some miles riding until you find an obstacle and going in another direction. Prob not worth it to many.

We managed to make it to La Tuque with some determination but we will not go back that way. We are hoping that Alma is possible so we can try to get back via 23, but I kind of doubt it. The day was an adventure and fun about 3/4 of the time.

Thanks! Keep it coming and make the most of it. Your there now. I'd bet your headed in the right direction for snow.

Was wondering how the water /ice would be. Back home in PA everything is bankful.