Gaspésie: Trail Between La Cache and Murdochville Closed for the Season...Sled Magazine Article dated Nov 8, 2023

Sad news.  Certianly a heavily traveled trail.  Hopefully the will still groom from the 595 up to the top of Mount Lyall.  Hard to believe with the forestry road network in that area a detour could not be identified.  The trail has already been removed from the FCMQ interactive map.

What a disappointment. I just finished booking our Gaspe trip a few days ago and the Chic Choc trail was part of our route.

l can’t even picture any bridges of any significance across there. The interior trails helped to disperse some of the traffic doing the Gaspe. Going to make the perimeter loop busy. Bad for,the Copper Hotel also, Jack wasn’t very happy last winter, this sure won’t help.

I was just at their booth in Quebec City at the show and we talked about that trail specifically, all agreed it was good trail and one to take this year....

At least it is not a permanent closer due to off trail issues.

GutZ

On 11/8/2023 at 8:08 PM, Fuse6 said:

What a disappointment. I just finished booking our Gaspe trip a few days ago and the Chic Choc trail was part of our route.

l can’t even picture any bridges of any significance across there. The interior trails helped to disperse some of the traffic doing the Gaspe. Going to make the perimeter loop busy. Bad for,the Copper Hotel also, Jack wasn’t very happy last winter, this sure won’t help.

They're under 15' of snow when you cross them.  You'd think by mid winter they could just fill the creeks full of snow and carry on.

5 hours ago, Signfan said:

They're under 15' of snow when you cross them.  You'd think by mid winter they could just fill the creeks full of snow and carry on.

I was thinking the same thing when I originally saw the announcement. I was also wondering why they couldn't skirt out to the road to get around problem areas. Maybe ther is more to this issue.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I was thinking the same thing when I originally saw the announcement. I was also wondering why they couldn't skirt out to the road to get around problem areas. Maybe ther is more to this issue.

I am leaning toward there being more to this issue.

Why not have the trsil in red but still on the map? I-moto?

TQ63 was on map in red the past few seasons only this year removed when closure was announced as permanent.

597 was closed and still in red on map in the past

just saying

On 11/8/2023 at 5:48 PM, smclelan said:

Sad news.  Certianly a heavily traveled trail.  Hopefully the will still groom from the 595 up to the top of Mount Lyall.  Hard to believe with the forestry road network in that area a detour could not be identified.  The trail has already been removed from the FCMQ interactive map.

Not likely that that will be groomed.  La cache is at the tail end of a 12 hour groom from either direction.

On 11/10/2023 at 5:44 PM, iceman said:

Why not have the trsil in red but still on the map? I-moto?

In the Ontario system they want trails that wont be opened for the upcpming season to be deleted even if its only for 1 season. It ends any risk that might be involved and helps to keep riders off the deleted trail. In Ontario there is little to nil enforcement so riders have no fear of consequences on closed trails. If it isn't on the online map its less of an issue.

Had to rework our trip after the Chic Choc being closed.

Means we will run the north shore twice but l would rather do that than run the south shore. Just need LaCahe to pull through for me to make the plan work. Contacted LaCache via email,  they are renovating 6 rooms. Not sure if this is part of the new construction or not? Taking names right now, confirming reservations sometime in the future. 

lf LaCache doesn’t work out then we would have to depart Copper, across north shore then down 595 to LaFrancis. 400 km, would be a long day if trails and weather aren’t perfect.

8040B13F-A378-49F4-A679-8C069276D0AB.png