Monts Valin, Dec 8

scorpionbowl

The drive up from the US [12/7] was mostly snow/flurries once you cross the border. Snow in Drummonville was decent, but conditions really improved in the mountains. It didn't look like there was any grooming around L'Etape, but trails were broken. Lac Cartier wasn't frozen. Coming down into Chicoutimi, the snow really thinned, but it was snowing, with about 4" of new snow.

Leaving Valinouet, conditions were a little thin, but not bad at all. 93 to Chapelle was excellent. Switching to 251/2 was a little bumpy, but soft...

Then it was off trail, to the school bus...

This is a great time of year to go off trail [but on the logging roads]...

Then I continued the 252 loop back down to 93 to the warm up shack where 93 heads to Sacre Couer [which wasn't groomed]. 93 back to Chapelle was PERFECT...

After gas, a burger, and meeting the new owner, it was time to loop over 267 to bras-louis. Conditions were good, probably groomed a day, or so, ago with fresh snow. The early washout was still there with a sled flipped over, be carefull, especially when riding west to east. The online reports said trail 477 to Onatchinway was closed, so I was glad/lucky to see this when I drove by...

so that will set up tomorrow's ride. I only saw a handful of sleds, and conditions in this small region are excellent, but I would hate to ride here on the weekend...

Edited by scorpionbowl

We were suppose to head up today from Ottawa and ride till Friday. Decided not to with all the snow heading our way soon. After seeing your report, I'm thinking we made the wrong decision!!

Thanks for the pictures and enjoy all the white GOLD.

John, it's just me. The false sense of security with a sat-phone still gets to you when you're 20-30 miles off trail, riding an ETEC time bomb.

Fozzy, one thing I've learned is that if you wait for more snow, better weather or something else, you'll hardly ever ride. If possible, you have to do it...

John, it's just me. The false sense of security with a sat-phone still gets to you when you're 20-30 miles off trail, riding an ETEC time bomb.

Fozzy, one thing I've learned is that if you wait for more snow, better weather or something else, you'll hardly ever ride. If possible, you have to do it...

Nice Report Scorpion Bowl, That area is a snow paradise, RR

Thats true especially with these 2-strokers! With almost no other sled traffic to tow you, especially off trail, who you gonna call anyway.....sled busters (the guy with the Heli recovery service)! Got his number in your black notebook? Thats when the GPS coords come in especially handy!

Enjoy, glad to see you've got great conditions, a running sled, gas, jerky (Heidi Joes?) and trails to yourself! I'm off to work now :(

Day 2...

Just a trace of new snow in the city, but magically, about a foot of new powder on the mountain. Which turned into at least 16" in some places...

This much fresh powder can be a nuisance...

Certainly not a good day to be riding an Apex. Further up Bras Louis, near the Onatchiway turn, there was only about 4" of new snow. Heading out to Onatchiway, the snow only got deeper. I got sucked off the trail about half way there, then I caught up with some locals stuck and all over the place, so I decided to turn around. Visibility was very poor and you couldn't tell where the trail went. 16" of fresh powder is about as much as I saw, who knows what they got towards the relais.

Continuing around the 267, I hit the December washout, this is as bad as I've seen it...

The track is about a foot above the water, and the water is a good 8" deep. Once the nose of the sled goes in, the bumber just hits the wall of ice on the other side. This is why you have to ride with a shovel, and maybe now I'll actually get a hatchet.

Once again, traffic was light, and groomers were out. As usual, most traffic was between Valinouet and Chapelle.

Day 2...

Just a trace of new snow in the city, but magically, about a foot of new powder on the mountain. Which turned into at least 16" in some places...

Certainly not a good day to be riding an Apex. Further up Bras Louis, near the Onatchiway turn, there was only about 4" of new snow. Heading out to Onatchiway, the snow only got deeper. I got sucked off the trail about half way there, then I caught up with some locals stuck and all over the place, so I decided to turn around. Visibility was very poor and you couldn't tell where the trail went. 16" of fresh powder is about as much as I saw, who knows what they got towards the relais.

Continuing around the 267, I hit the December washout, this is as bad as I've seen it...

The track is about a foot above the water, and the water is a good 8" deep. Once the nose of the sled goes in, the bumber just hits the wall of ice on the other side. This is why you have to ride with a shovel, and maybe now I'll actually get a hatchet.

Once again, traffic was light, and groomers were out. As usual, most traffic was between Valinouet and Chapelle.

Another great report scorpion bowl, you have hit some really nice conditions :good:

Good report and some nice pictures, thanks.

Good stuff have fun be safe

Thanks for the report

Day 2...