New Spot device about to be launched: SPOT Connect

towing

I just found this information that would be very interesting for those who preview the purchase of a SPOT device in the next months: After the SPOT1, SPOT2 and the combo Gps with Delorme, they are about to launch the "SPOT connect". Seems to do about the samething as the one in the combo Delorme but paired with your Smartphone or Iphone. I don't have all the information but it seems that it will also be able to be paired with blackberrys in near future...

Here the Spot website link: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116

:drinks:

Alain

This should be a great discussion we all need to take a hard look at. :good:

What are the limitations of the device. Operating temp worries me a little

Who will be coming on rescue

What abilities does the Suretey du Quebec evac team have at their disposition

I am sure there are a thousand important questions to be asked. Please chime in with yours.

I know I will have some version of SPOT next year, but blind faith in this device could be risky. =@ Lets find out all we can about this. I know I will be researching it in depth.

George

Sat phone still the best chance.

Hands down and if you can afford to ride in Quebec especially in the real Bush its not a big deal to rent one.

This thing has no voice capability all e-mail and text but better then nothing for sure.

Do you want to wonder if someone is coming waiting for e-mail or text? or hear it with your own ears? On a sat phone.

Edited by iceman

Satphonestore.com is one place.

There are many rental places they fedex the phone to you in the usa then you mail it back when you get back.

Its like 6 to 10 bucks a day  

Iridium has the best coverage in QC.

Any talking on it is like 1.75 a minute. Its just for emergencies i

If you want you can buy minutes to use it but it costs more and if you do not use the minutes you get no refund for them.

It is very doable and as necessary as a helmet in my opinion.  

Something you never want to have to use.

But as i said before you need the emergency numbers for each region they are different for each area. (police SQ, and Ambulance.)

Edited by iceman

FWIW - I have used the Spot devices all over Quebec for 6 years and they work in all temps and conditions. Very reliable. I use two (the new Spot 2 and the original). The reason is that my father likes to track me back home (he's 85) and the Spot devices only send a location every 10 minutes. If it misses one, that makes 20 minutes. The trail on the map is much smoother with spots every 5. I have asked them and they say the device can't be re-programmed. That said, I am considering the new Spot or a Sat phone for next year.

Like Iceman said, sat phone is the way to go. It's $30 per week for iridium, but the kicker is the $40 shipping each way, so you need to rent it for the season. Think of it as another insurance policy, but this is an expense you can split with your buddies...

Fortunately, we've only used it to change or make hotel reservations from the trail, so far...

Here's where I rent from.

First, let's just talk about SPOT performance/usage. The first reason I bought it was because we often ride alone(just one sled)and change our plans during the ride, so and if we don't get back home at one time, my family/friends had no ways to locate us quickly. This week again, I heard about a guy that was reported missing by his family and police/snowmobile club were searching for him. With my SPOT in tracking mode, we can be located with our day track by a simple clic.

I use my SPOT1 for the third season and it never fail. Power it on at ride start and off in the evening when the ride is done, the lithium batterie life is outstanding. I do all my sled season in tracking mode + maybe 10 motorcycle rides during the summer and change batteries once a year by security. With my handle ram mount, I get about 80% of the tracking point automaticly sent while riding and the OK messages sent stopped never fail to get in. For my intended usage, it do the job greatly. The possibility to send 911 emergency request was for me a bonus, not the main goal.

As for 911 fonction of the SPOT, I'm sure it work...meaning that the emergency signal will be sent to the SPOT desk that will first call the contact you programed when you registered to try to get information and will then contact the local regional 911 service responsible for the location reported by your spot device with the 911 request... they can't do more than that and that part will work.

From there, what is it realist to expect... the emergency service that receive the call have a gps position and an emergency request but don't know anything else unless the information the contact you programmed when you registered is able to give them. They don't know which type of emergency they have, something between a life/death case and a false alarm. They will for sure send somebody but you can figure in which situation they are, even worse if the call is from a real remote location... At least, there is somebody that receive your 911 request and will process it, without a SPOT or sat/cel phone there is no request possible.

IMO, the local emergency services need to have some more informations to help them taking the right action in the right time. At least, a SPOT that is able to send text or e-mail would permit to give them the certitude that it is not a false alarm and the nature of the emergency and give them an idea how it is possible to reach you... It is clear for me that a sat phone and a GPS is way more efficient because you will be able to report your exact emergency and have bidirectionals conversations but it is also way more expensive. But I admit that the link of scorpionbowl for a rental a $30/month make me wonder...seems a real good deal...

What do you think...

Alain

Edited by towing

Not to get off topic, but a sat-phone & GPS would be the ultimate tools, being able to have a 2-way conversation would be excellent. But to be realistic about costs, I snowmobile 3 months (4 if lucky) which means a sat-phone per the US website is $30/week x 12 weeks + shipping ($80) = $440 + any air-time. In Canada a rental through Roadpost.com it’s $160/month x 3 + shipping ($60) = $540 (plus I’m sure there are taxes). Renting for a week or even a month is not offering adequate protection. It you damage or lose the phone you’re on the hook for the cost, $1000+.

An annual SPOT subscription cost about $125 which includes insurance to cover search & rescue costs. I now have a SPOT/GPS combo so I can send 14 messages which I’ve set-up on the computer account. I have messeages like I’m going to be late…. to accident on trail, to health issue in group please send help, to mechanical breakdown, but safe etc. The messages are more detailed but you get the point. I can also type and send a text message on the unit giving current details. I also use my SPOT for summer for hiking/whitewater canoeing trips. We also often travel alone (2-up) so SPOT offers some sense of secuirty that we can contact the outside world, people can easily find us via the SPOT coordinates and the peace of mind, someone will evenutally come find us. The success rate of messages sent is near 100 %, I don’t have the tracking option so I can say about success. The new SPOT set-up allows you to select from various contact group (so you can pick which group meets your needs). My emergency group consists of computer contacts, cell phones and Blackberry’s, which gives pretty good odds someone will get the message asap, since most people are attached to their cellphones and Blackberry’s.

Now you can say isn’t your life worth $540 + tax, probably but it’s a calculated risk. I would need a sat-phone on annual basis to meet my true needs and I find it a financial stretch for a phone. I’ve taken the intitative to at least carry some security and SPOT offers an affordable piece of security which every snowmobiler or adventurer can carry.

Whatever works for you is ok with me.

My group has at least one sat phone.

Just no sense ever having to say

"wish we had a sat phone"

Remember that finacial stretch,  my life is worth a lot more then 540 no probably for me.

Edited by iceman

What I don't understand is why a SAT phone with built in GPS has not beeen manufactured yet! That makes sense since they are both Satelite using devices & would help the riders who don't want to ride with both. I REFUSE to ride without both a GPS & SAT phone. I also am a MEDJET member for many years. www.medjet.com They provide emergency evacuations from most places in the world. :good:

Just looking at Globalstar Sat phones, this is not a bad deal, will need to see what the pricing is after the one year but i know i used to have a sat phone and just paid the basic monthly fee. Stopped it a couple of years back because i felt i didn't need it any more. Got a concussion this fall and now starting to re-think my safely on the trail.

http://ca.globalstar.com/en/index.php?cid=1250

Globalstar not great iridium is better

Have heard of blackouts of their service.

Iridium is the one to have.

Edited by iceman

found this, a liitle bit more info on the new product

http://ca.globalstar.com/en/index.php?cid=7010&pressId=644

SPOT Unveils Revolutionary New SPOT Connect for Smartphones

SPOT Connect™ turns leading smartphones into a personal one-way satellite communicator capable of sending messages with GPS position to personal contacts, social networks or to summon help in emergencies from remote areas beyond cellular coverage

Las Vegas, NV , January 04 2011- Spot LLC continues to pioneer innovation in satellite communications, bringing global messaging technology into the hands of millions worldwide. A wholly owned subsidiary of Globalstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: GSAT), Spot LLC today announced SPOT Connect, a new SPOT satellite communicator capable of sending messages over the Globalstar satellite network from smartphone operating systems. Winner of this year’s CES Innovations Award in Design and Engineering in the Personal Electronics category, SPOT Connect will showcase this week at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Today’s smartphones provide mobile social connection. But when users go off-grid, their smartphone needs help. SPOT Connect provides connectivity to global communication satellites for sending location-based messages from around town or areas outside of cellular phone coverage. By simply downloading the SPOT Connect app, SPOT Connect wirelessly synchs via Bluetooth with smartphone operating systems like Android. SPOT message features are then initiated using the SPOT Connect app on the smart device.

“For the first time ever, urban professionals, outdoor enthusiasts and world travelers can utilize cost-efficient, personal satellite communications directly from their smartphone.” said Peter Dalton, President of Spot LLC and CEO of Globalstar, Inc. “When paired with SPOT Connect your everyday smartphone overcomes traditional limitations associated with cellular coverage, keeping you better connected to your personal contacts and social groups like Facebook and Twitter when you want to be.”

Additional Benefits and features:

•Uses the GPS satellite system to determine location and the Globalstar satellite network to transmit that information to personal contacts or an international emergency response center

•Send location-based messages via satellite to others delivered as SMS text or email

•Send custom “Type and Send” 41 character text messages from your location

•Update social networks including Facebook, Twitter and SPOT Adventures from remote locations

•Provide GPS functionality to non-GPS devices

•Utilize proven SPOT messaging features - Send custom or predefined messages, Track Progress on Google Maps™, or transmit an SOS message in an emergency

•Store up to 10 predefined messages for quick reference and sending

•Create and save contact groups to receive your SPOT Connect message. Each contact group can contain multiple contacts consisting of cell phone numbers and or email addresses

•On device SOS button for standalone emergency operation

•Web & Mobile account management

•Bluetooth wireless connection

•Waterproof to IPX7 standard

•Lightweight at 3.7 ounces, SPOT Connect is portable and can be used handheld or attached to a pack or RAM mounting system

The SPOT Connect app can be downloaded anytime and works when SPOT Connect is registered with SPOT Basic Service and paired with the smart device. SPOT Connect is compatible with some of today’s leading smartphone operating systems such as Android . Additional smartphone compatibility is scheduled for release later this year.

Spot LLC is showcasing SPOT Connect and its entire line of award-winning satellite GPS tracking and messaging products at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Trade Show at SPOT booth number 35647 located in the IT Wireless Zone, South Hall 4.

Pricing and Product Availability Information:

SPOT Connect retails $169.99 MSRP plus a required annual subscription service starting at $99.99 per year and is scheduled to begin shipping this January to retail locations and online sites specializing in GPS, outdoor recreation and personal electronics. For more information on SPOT Connect and other SPOT products and location-based satellite service offerings like SPOT Assist Roadside and BoatUS Towing Services, visit www.findmespot.com

Coverage:

SPOT satellite coverage works around the world, including all of the continental United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe and Australia Northern and Central Africa, portions of South America and North-Eastern Asia and hundreds or thousands of miles offshore of these areas.

About Spot LLC

Spot LLC, a subsidiary of Globalstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: GSAT), provides emergency notification technology that allows users to communicate from remote locations around the globe. The SPOT product family uses both the GPS satellite network to determine a customer's location and the Globalstar network to transmit messages and GPS coordinates to others including an international rescue coordination center. Thanks to this affordable, cutting edge personal safety device, the company offers people peace of mind by allowing customers to notify friends and family of their location and status, and to send for emergency assistance in time of need, completely independent of cellular phone or wireless coverage. For more information on how Spot LLC is helping others stay connected - from disaster preparedness to outdoor adventure – visit www.findmeSPOT.com.

For media information please contact:

Derek Moore

Spot LLC

(408) 933-4112

derek.moore@findmespot.com