Any body buy a SPOT?

182ray

After extensive research and review reading about the Spot Connect and the Spot Messenger 2 i made my decision to purchase the Spot Messenger 2. Though it seems like a good idea the Spot Connect with the text message feature i think it still needs some more tweeking from Spot, the last review i read hit the nail on the head.

http://willgadd.com/quick-review-notes-on-the-spot-2-and-spot-connect/

I run the spot#1 since many years by now and i'm satisfied with what I get from for the price.

The good:- Very easy on batteries, 1 lithium set last one year on tracking each ride !!! the #2 spot is not the same...

-ease of use: press the tracking function at ride start on the morning and stop it at ride end in the evening.

The not so good: -only one-way messaging

-the tracking sending succesfully ratio not so good when transported in a pocket, this is why I mount it even i know it is less safe in case of accident to find it back. I know that the SPOT 2 is way better than mine for the succes transmission ratio, it's probably why it is harder on batteries...

For myself, It's the tracking function that is more important and the "911" button is a plus... If Somebody would carry a device only in case of life-threatening problem, maybe a PLB would be a safer choice over the 911 fonction of a SPOT

The DELORME INreach device which offer bidirectional communication when connected to a smartphone and similar fonction as a spot 2 when not connected seems a wise choice but a bit more expensive to operate. The US rate plans for tracking are affordable but the canadian one are very expensive, have to take the full plan to have illimited tracking so it's a no-go for me by now.

Irridium sat phone is certainly the best way to go if you can afford it . Florida Snowman, your link give very interesting plans. I figure if you make a trip of one or two weeks in very remote area and are able to split the cost over the members of the group that participate to the trip, it would be the way to go...

Alain

In addition to these devices don't forget about Air Medic service, I know alot of members here subscribe and I have as well. Hope you never need it.

We have air medic..lol..I have seen it but we live in quebec..When they have drags in Mont Valin they bring a hellicopter in for the drags..But its gone far away after that..You americans know how to rescue..we have no special unites to do these things..not in Quebec..it will be a fireman or cop most of the time with no real rescue training.. search and rescue ..we do not have a unite in quebec that does just that.waiting for a call.so its a long time before someone will come and get you...remember this is QUEBEC..My friend who lives in gaspesie is a fire jumper..yep from a helicopter..but it is only there in the summer.and its one of those bubble hellocopters.so will spot work here..yes but whos going to get you..they will have to put a search team together..Who knows how long that will take..In the rest of canada you have teams for this.Quebec is not as advanced for rescue..you dont believe me then just try it..I dont use a spot ..We depend only on us.These things give you the false feeling of being safe.This is quebec its just not the same ..I am sure that most cops etc in Quebec dont really know what it is..I dont want a cop or fireman looking for me..I want a guy who knows how to use a gps and is trained for rescue in the woods or mountains.

Just dont put all your faith into it...still use your gps and bring gear...lighter and small saw etc..this way you can build a fire and wait for daylight..I know from my sister ( rcmp ) its better in ontario than here .We still believe here in Quebec that you dont hike,snowmobile or anything else in the backcountry...So we depend on someone going buy on a trail..Or that the rescue will be made on a trail..If your off the trail tooooo bad.Thats the attitude here cause you cant ride off trail everywhere.Lots of private land near the cities.So how good is spot where you are when you need it..thats what it really boils down to..We should adopt the same attitude as out west...ITS A LIFE..not just same ass going off trail or getting lost snowshoeing in the backcountry.Just my oppinion.... jack

Edited by quebecmountainrider

That's very interesting QMR. Last year when I was in clova with Eddie skidoo we were talking Carloe sister from the Tamarac and They were members of Air Medic They needed them two times and they said they couldn't come Once when she was having a small heart attack. I don't recall exactly what happened But the point is they couldn't come So they are no longer members of Air Medic. The other time was when someone else got hurt. And these are people that live there !!! Ride safe !!!

Edited by crazysnow

• 2 weeks later...

I have the original SPOT. While it is not overly featueful, it works exactly as advertised. I have used it all over CON US and Canada with no problems. I have heard mixed reviews of the connect. I don't use it for that. This is mainly used so my wife knows where I am and that I am alive on snowmobiling trips.

• 2 weeks later...