3 Day Trip: Saint Michel - Kanawata - La Tuque

Thegreatpumkin

I have planned a 3 day loop starting at Kanamouche in Saint Michel des Saints.... our plan is to spend the night in Kanawata and La Tuque but we have a few trail options on a few of these legs. Hopefully someone can share their recommendations on whcih routes would be best.... i.e Snow Cover/Trail Conditions, Scenery & overall enjoyment.

Our tentative plan:

Sunday 1/13: Arrive at Kanamouche in afternoon

Monday 1/14: Ride to Kanawata

• Options are:
    • Head due North - Trail 33N to Repos, then 345 to Kanawata
    • Head East to - 63 to 23 to Trail 345N (diversion - club trail to the Lac Taureau Dam) to Repos then Kanawata

Tuesday 1/15: Ride to Club Odanak (La Tuque)

• Options are:
    • 345N through Casey to 83E through Wemotaci to 73S to Club Odanak
    • Also appears to be a short cut from Kanawata to Wemotaci and from Windigo to La Tuque

Wednesday 1/16: Ride back to Kanamouche (Saint Michel)

• Options are:
    • 73S to 355S and then:
      • 351S to 23 W back to Saint Michel
      • 360S to 23W back to Saint Michel
      • 360W to 345S back to Saint Michel

Thursday 1/17: Head back to the States

I am grateful for your advice......

Trygve

Day 1

Either way is great to Kanawata

Day 2

I would go thru Casey to 83 to Wemo(run to Casey is sweet from Kanawata and 83 is not to be missed it uses the old road and is fast) then to La Tuque on 73,

the shortcut If its the one I know will bring you to a Plowed sanded road. Its shorter for sure but not as fun and the shortcut itself will probably be a one sled wide track not groomed.

Day 3

All depends on miles you want to ride last day.

The 351 is nice for sure, twisty and fun. Not the fastest riding.

360S is great usually(weekends it gets alot of traffic) gives you the full experience on the "pipeline" or Rollercoaster from La Tuque. If you take 351 you turn before and miss most of this.

360W would be the most direct way back. All good trails. Just shorter.

Hope it helps.

Have fun.

Edited by iceman

Day 1 I would take the longer route, 63 to 23. The other route is a short day and you should arrive at Kanawata around lunch or little after unless you normally make alot of stops. The rest looks good but I would stay on the Groomed marked trails most of them are nice. 73 from relay 22 south is a little twisty but not too bad.

Either way you choose have a great trip.

All my years and runs thru never had a problem getting fuel at Wemo. I've heard of only one instance of guys waiting for gas there, the truck was on its way. Anywhere could be out its just luck of the draw. I've found the trail from Wemo to 22 much more unreliable then the Gas for sure.

No service at Casey and Haltaparche (close) Wemontaci phone before ( no gaz )

Wemontachi has no gas, is that for real?

In fact, RichardHotte (who is Coyote on the forums) write to call before at Wemo because we live the situation when we did our Chibougamau ride last season with him, we stopped there around 10:00 a.m. and their tanks were empty and they were waiting for the truck for replenisment. There was gaz at Casey so it was an easy one to get there even it was +5C under heavy rain.

Markustv is right for 120 miles or so Kanawata to 22, here a pic from a distance chart that was pick on the wall at Kanawata.(in KMs)

kanawata.jpg

Wemontacy now is aware that Casey had no services this season and like Iceman wrote, I don't think it is usual situation we encounter last year and it can happen like at any others gaz places.

Anyway, i you don't fell secure just give them a call before doing it...

As for the advices for Thegreatpumkin about your trip, you have been answered pretty well and I don't much thing to add else than I'm with 600IQHO for your day1 option for 63/23/345, it would be my choice.

Bye!!!

Alain

Alain ! j'ai toujours passé par Wémon comme 7-8 fois et pas de trouble de gaz, avec toi presque.. Samedi passé un groupe de 16 ont du louer un pick up a Wémon pour allé cherché 16x 5 gallon a Parent.

Nos amis indien ont encore oublié d'appellé pour un truck a gaz . J'ai couché au Kanawata vendredi soir et ont planifiais passé par le 22 vers Latuque , donc, pas pris de risque

Traduis moi ça tu es rendu bon en anglais :acute:

C,est qui le Admin qui peu modifier mon nom pour Coyote.

Bye !

No gas at Casey this year? Are they open?

Thanks

Relais de la petite gare a Casey est fermé or CLOSE, comme Haltaparche depuis 3-4 ans, mais il non pas oter les affiche a Parent , donc gazé a Parent

Edited by RichardHotte_1460

Alain ! j'ai toujours passé par Wémon comme 7-8 fois et pas de trouble de gaz, avec toi presque.. Samedi passé un groupe de 16 ont du louer un pick up a Wémon pour allé cherché 16x 5 gallon a Parent.

Nos amis indien ont encore oublié d'appellé pour un truck a gaz . J'ai couché au Kanawata vendredi soir et ont planifiais passé par le 22 vers Latuque , donc, pas pris de risque

Traduis moi ça tu es rendu bon en anglais :acute:

C,est qui le Admin qui peu modifier mon nom pour Coyote.

Bye !

It seems that coyote had a good reason to tell to phone wemon before... Here is the translation of what he wrote:

Alain! I had always ride throught Wemon maybe 7-8 times without any trouble for gaz except with you. Last Saturday, a group of 16 peoples had need to rent a pick up at Wemon to get 16 x 5 gal gaz to Parent

Our indians friends had again forget to call soon enought for the gaz truck( empty station again). I slept at Kanawata friday night et we had planned to go to relai 22 and LaTuque, so . we did not take any guess...

To change your nick name to Coyote left a PM to Saguenay Bill who is in the administrator team.

Pour changer to nom Coyote, laisse un MP a Saguenay Bill qui est dans l'équipe d'administrateurs

Alain

Edited by towing

Relais de la petite gare a Casey est fermé or CLOSE, comme Haltaparche depuis 3-4 ans, mais il non pas oter les affiche a Parent , donc gazé a Parent

Translation...

The relai de la petite gare at Casey is closed this year like Haltaparche since 3-4 years but they don't removed the signs in the trail on Parent side (can be confusing for sure) so, fuel up in Parent

Translation...

The relai de la petite gare at Casey is closed this year like Haltaparche since 3-4 years but they don't removed the signs in the trail on Parent side (can be confusing for sure) so, fuel up in Parent

But if he is coming from Kanawata going to La Tuque, is'nt Parent the other way(west)...or am I wrong?

Casey must have been sold I know there was a sign on it last year I think the guy and his girlfriend broke up because she was at Casey and he was back working at Kanawata. Maybe a little less than 120mi. to relat 22 now that they are using the old road. Should be alright just don't pass gas. Maybe this is why they have routed the trail this year that you have to pass by Kanawata. Be looking forward to your report greatpumpkin heading up that way possibly on the 21st.

But if he is coming from Kanawata going to La Tuque, is'nt Parent the other way(west)...or am I wrong?

Yes from Kanawata you go north after turn right to Wémon, may be Wémongaz got gaz now ? , but don't take chance and phone.

Edited by RichardHotte_1460